"8% tips don't pay my tuition"- thot

Should tips be enough to pay college tuition?

• Yes

Votes: 9 8.2%
  • No

Votes: 101 91.8%

• Total voters

jerzboy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We usually tip 15%-20%. I mean when we go out me expect to spend, if we didn’t we’d just get take-out. I’m guessing most y’all don’t know or have friends/family that worked in that industry

Tryna Makit

High plains drifter
Daps
As a former waiter...i never tip. Thats right bihh, Never! Lol

And here's why....i use1s to work with "lifelong" waiters(read that part again:mjlol:) who would feel this way after getting stiffed...and it always make someone like me just laugh.

nikka...he aint obligated to pay us shyt, we aint make the food:skip:

Supreme365

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC
I tipped based on service
If the service is great, informative and generally friendly then I’ll tip handsomely
If your an ass, lazy, incompetent or disinterested then you’ll get nothing

don’t like it find another job

AQz

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Tip what you want. For me, back before the world ended I’d tip 20% at my regular places. It always worked out on the other side.

Generally speaking you’re getting at least 15% for good service regardless of the bill. If the service sucks you’re getting $0. I can remember giving $0 twice. If you’re not even doing the bare minimum why would I give money away.

I think host sounds dumb. No one cares about her bills. That’s lower than I’d personally tip though for the comment left.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
No, that’s not explaining WHY it’s based on the amount of the check in the first place. There is a level of connection that is still missing. But I’ll continue the question this way if it’ll make what I’m asking clearer.... if that is the case, why is the amount/portion that is distributed between the other employees based on the check amount? Again, what bussers and hostesses do is not related to check amount. Bartenders, sure. But they probably do the least amount of work per customer and if they are getting a portion of every tip where they make a drink for someone, they should be more than fine anyway.

At its core, tipping based on check amount is stupid and makes people feel like they deserve more money just because someone ordered the lobster or the sea bass when they didn’t do anything extra.

But I’ll keep tipping at least 15% because our system is broken
Example:

You work from 6 to midnight. Your total sales, meaning all your checks in total after tax, are $800. If everyone I served were Coli posters, it would be safe to say I've averaged out 10% tips. So that's $80.

You're giving 1% of my total sales, not tips, to the busboy. $8.
You're giving another 1% to food runner. $8.
Bartenders vary, but in a lot of places it's 1.5%. $12.

So now you're left with $52. You good with that?

i said at minimum a living wage
not minimum wage.

if it was argued we should tip because the service is great, then there wouldn't be this pressure to tip or tip entitlement from waiters.

it's argued that we should tip because these waiters get paid low wages that make it hard to survive. fast food workers are in the same boat, yet many people are against them getting a pay raise.
As @itsyoung!! said, the interaction between you and McDonald's cashier is minimal. A server is essentially hosting you for the 45 minutes that you sit down at their table. There's no logic behind saying, "Well, if I have to tip someone who makes sure me and my family good for the next hour, then the button pressing cashier deserves $15-20 an hour."

Prodyson

All Star
Daps
Example:

You work from 6 to midnight. Your total sales, meaning all your checks in total after tax, are $800. If everyone I served were Coli posters, it would be safe to say I've averaged out 10% tips. So that's $80.

You're giving 1% of my total sales, not tips, to the busboy. $8.
You're giving another 1% to food runner. $8.
Bartenders vary, but in a lot of places it's 1.5%. $12.

So now you're left with $52. You good with that?

As @itsyoung!! said, the interaction between you and McDonald's cashier is minimal. A server is essentially hosting you for the 45 minutes that you sit down at their table. There's no logic behind saying, "Well, if I have to tip someone who makes sure me and my family good for the next hour, then the button pressing cashier deserves $15-20 an hour."
You’re still not addressing my question. Tips should not correlate with the the cost of your food. It should correlate with something that is indicative of how much work you’ve done.

And again, you’re (American society) just shifting the responsibility of adequate pay to the customer instead of the employer.

Prodyson

All Star
Daps
Bussers definitely get tips. It's usually a percentage of your sales, the same goes for food runners and barbacks.

If tipping were done away with an equivalent service charge based on food cost would be implemented instead. Think autograt.
I didn’t say bussers didn’t get tips. I said what they do has not relation to the cost of the meal. A filet and a burger both go on one plate.

If the autocrat was not based on the cost of the meal, I would be fine with that. My problem isn’t tips, it’s how they are arbitrarily based on the cost of the meal. We’re gonna have to pay for it anyway, but make it make sense.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
You’re still not addressing my question. Tips should not correlate with the the cost of your food. It should correlate with something that is indicative of how much work you’ve done.

And again, you’re (American society) just shifting the responsibility of adequate pay to the customer instead of the employer.
I literally answered your question breh :gucci: if everybody were to think like you and the Coli and leave shytty tips, you're fukking over the person actually putting in the work and hosting you. If you feel the business model is bad I hope you're not rewarding the business itself by running up a $200 bill with your family and leaving the regular person with $10 as some sort of defiance.

If this helps, the higher a check, more attention a server is paying to that table, because they're ordering more and this opens a larger window for things to mess up (be it the kitchen missing a detail, the server missing a detail, or the guest missing a detail/adding multiple modifications to their order) and thus needs more attention from the server.

Daps
You shouldn’t be going out to eat if ur a shytty tipper, also college should be free or paid for by taxes. It’s dumb as shyt we only make higher education accessible to those who can afford it rather than those who want to pursue it.

:yeshrug:

O, and the harsh comments arent too surprising considering how misogynistic the board is

Last edited:

Prodyson

All Star
Daps
I literally answered your question breh :gucci: if everybody were to think like you and the Coli and leave shytty tips, you're fukking over the person actually putting in the work and hosting you. If you feel the business model is bad I hope you're not rewarding the business itself by running up a $200 bill with your family and leaving the regular person with $10 as some sort of defiance.

If this helps, the higher a check, more attention a server is paying to that table, because they're ordering more and this opens a larger window for things to mess up (be it the kitchen missing a detail, the server missing a detail, or the guest missing a detail/adding multiple modifications to their order) and thus needs more attention from the server.
You may have addressed why you think the tip is shytty, but you didn’t explain why tips are related to the cost of the meal in the first place.

Your meal costing more doesn’t mean any extra effort or attention was paid to you. It could, but it’s not always the case. The only person who is USUALLY affected by you buying more expensive food is the chef, who usually gets paid a fair wage and doesn’t rely on tips.

That’s why tips should be based on something that actually has to do with how much work you do, because spending money doesn’t always mean more work for the waiter. If you have a table of 8 and your bill is high, that’s one thing. If people are ordering 4 things off the menu or have you running back and forth to get drinks, that’s one thing. But if I go to a restaurant and get the Sea Bass and my wife gets the Prime Rib and we both get two drinks, how is the waiter doing anything more than if we’d both ordered burgers that cost less than half that price.

And if the Coli thought like me, this wouldn’t be a thread because I said I usually tip AT LEAST 15% multiple times in this thread, because I understand how restaurants screw over their service employees. I can both not agree with the system AND still tip people. And that’s exactly what I do.