66% of console owners prefer physical copies of (2021 update: Sony reports sales are 66% digital)

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
Do you need an internet connection to play the shared game?
One person does, yes.

In order to gameshare, one person will need to be constantly connected to the internet and signed in to verify you own the game. The other person who you are sharing your library with won't need internet access because this process made their xbox/ps4/switch your HOME console meaning MS/Sony/etc believe their console is your main home console.

For me, internet is never off in my place and always in use...and in rare causes of internet outage those only last about 15-20 mins tops. So if you got the internet running all day in your home its a great option. And the reason Xbox PS4 and switch gamesharing is better than Steam's is cause unlike on computer, you can both play the same game at the same time with this, this is great for coop games, only one copy for both to play.

I got about 600 games this generation cause for all of them I've only had to pay half while my brother paid the other half. And it gets even more ridiculous when a game goes on sale...even that sale price getting split

Daps
One person does, yes.

In order to gameshare, one person will need to be constantly connected to the internet and signed in to verify you own the game. The other person who you are sharing your library with won't need internet access because this process made their xbox/ps4/switch your HOME console meaning MS/Sony/etc believe their console is your main home console.

For me, internet is never off in my place and always in use...and in rare causes of internet outage those only last about 15-20 mins tops. So if you got the internet running all day in your home its a great option. And the reason Xbox PS4 and switch gamesharing is better than Steam's is cause unlike on computer, you can both play the same game at the same time with this, this is great for coop games, only one copy for both to play.

I got about 600 games this generation cause for all of them I've only had to pay half while my brother paid the other half. And it gets even more ridiculous when a game goes on sale...even that sale price getting split
I've been mostly physical and staunchly pro physical this gen until near the end because of the increased frequency of PS store sales
All of a sudden most of my library became digital :dwillhuh:
I'm a digital convert now :gucci:
So I'm trying to get familiar w/ this game sharing thing

Can you just make your console the main console and make the other person you're sharing with require internet connection any time you want?

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
I've been mostly physical and staunchly pro physical this gen until near the end because of the increased frequency of PS store sales
All of a sudden most of my library became digital :dwillhuh:
I'm a digital convert now :gucci:
So I'm trying to get familiar w/ this game sharing thing

Can you just make your console the main console and make the other person you're sharing with require internet connection any time you want?
The thing is that if you did it like that, that person will need to be using your account, the reason this works is cause psn and Xbox accounts are allowed to do roaming, which is access to play a downloaded game as long as you own the digital license.

So if you make your console the home console, the only way that other person can play on their consoles is if they use your account, because it is specifically your account that allows this to be possible.

That’s why people usually do it the other way, even if you have to be online all the time it’s still your account with all your saves, trophies, etc and you not using someone else’s stuff to get access. But if you cool with someone playing on your account then the way you described would work

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
I, for one reason, with discs, they don't COMPLETELY control the market.

Gotdamn, they already getting billions from mtx, let us have a game for 50% off.

There's 2 year old games, at Walmart and Target still close to full price. Imagine that for digital.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Sony just put out their quarterly earnings report. Almost 66% of all the games they sold on PlayStation last year were digital. I think we reached the point of no return for physical games.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Sony just put out their quarterly earnings report. Almost 66% of all the games they sold on PlayStation last year were digital. I think we reached the point of no return for physical games.

We've been there. I still think that we have one more generation of disc media for gaming though. It will all be tempered by broadband spped and caps. I have no cap on my Comcast but I pay an additional 50 a month on that. That's a luxury for most people. That said, it will come, a discless future.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
We've been there. I still think that we have one more generation of disc media for gaming though. It will all be tempered by broadband spped and caps. I have no cap on my Comcast but I pay an additional 50 a month on that. That's a luxury for most people. That said, it will come, a discless future.
All these companies could have gone digital a long time ago if they’d simply make the price adjustments

Now way on God’s green earth that content should be the same price when one doesn’t require packing, shipping or manufacturing

Hostile

All Star
Daps
Yeah I'm going digital this gen for most console games. Out of 40 games last gen I only care to keep about 10. Planning on getting a pc as soon as I come up with enough games.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
only buying digital on console if the title is digital only or the price is great

I still trade games in... so I'mma ride the wheels off of physical when it comes to console..

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
only buying digital on console if the title is digital only or the price is great

I still trade games in... so I'mma ride the wheels off of physical when it comes to console..

I am going to just get digital if it is the only way to purchase it. I still like to go into gamestop and pick up games. There's a nostalgia in going there. I still go to the one I got my Dreamcast from.