6 Figures 6 Certs Random Thoughts Thread

that guy

Superstar
Daps
Yeah. You’ll be fine with Python.

Go is starting to pickup (Terraform and Kubernetes were both written in Go, I think Docker was as well ).

Not to throw to much at you all at once. Lol

Learn Python + Django or Flask and then build a small dashboard onto of one of the Cloud API’s like Azure DevOps API or Azure Sentinel API.

Do things like that and it’ll put you ahead of the people coming out of the boot camp with you
What do you think about knocking out a few entry level certs such as A+ and Net+ to get a basic understanding of some of these related concepts since I don’t have computer science background? I know they’re not sought after from employers, they’re more so for my own personal knowledge and I think I can get these certs on the side in 60 days.

Or do you think it’s not necessary?

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
One of the HR managers has called me out on Slack a couple of times over my lack of knowledge about the AV system that we use for company meetings. It’s annoying especially because I hate all things AV.

This week they had all the remote people fly into NYC for events and team building activities. One of the remote engineers told me he’s a multimillionaire. He worked at Coinbase pre-IPO.

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
One of the HR managers has called me out on Slack a couple of times over my lack of knowledge about the AV system that we use for company meetings. It’s annoying especially because I hate all things AV.

This week they had all the remote people fly into NYC for events and team building activities. One of the remote engineers told me he’s a multimillionaire. He worked at Coinbase pre-IPO.
Why did he feel the need to flex his millions on you?

Panther

Byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ByrdGang
Bought this planner at the suggestion of my life coach
https://a.co/d/2Mwresh

Im not great at keeping a routine, from waking up, working out at the same time, what time i start work, go to bed etc.

Starting fresh on the 1st, going through the end of the year

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I hate how inept this scrum master is. We functionally walk them through how to do their job nearly every day and they still can't do it. Doesn't make a difference how much training they seem to do or how much we assist them. They're way out of their depth and should either be moved to a different role or fired altogether :smh: . I'd have to choke them out if we were in the same location. Chalk up another win for WFH.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Biggest layoff ever at my company

Somehow I survived :mjcry:. I was literally texting my coworkers as it was going down and we all were wondering if the cuts would hit our team.

Sure enough it did. Lost 3 co-workers.

If you work in IT and work in any of these positions

- Management
- Analyst or Project Manager.

You'll be cut first before the technical roles. So I advise to be as technical as possible( Developer , Network Admin , Security etc ).

You can thank the FANNG( Specially Facebook & Twitter ) companies for this.

When the company announced the lay-offs ( I knew exactly how they were going to do it from watching the below podcast )

Watch this Lex Fridman/Mark Zuckerberg Podcast:

Go to the 1:44 Mark.
Other companies will follow suite in the future. Leaner/flatter reporting structure.

Yea we lost a lot of project managers and those project heavy/non tech roles. We hiring though and even admitted the last layoff was too deep. Imagine that?

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Its not the Certs or CS degree that will make it hard. It's the No Experience part.

I have an interview next week for a job that lists BS in CS etc. I have no degree but have 12 years of experience.

Here's some tips -

- Grow your linked-in Profile( for example I just started posting about my journey for the Linux+ )
- Do DevOps projects( outside of class )
- Learn to program( and not just scripting, but able to develop applications ) This will set you apart from other people who just know how to do scripting.

Her Channel is pretty good for DevOps projects:

experience is #1. Companies are not interested in training people. Working knowledge of whatever requirements they are looking for is A1. Boot camp is cool but when shyt hits the fan are you capable of doing the work? I had the CEO standing over my desk as I wrote a script, tested it and pushed it on a Friday night. This was years ago but this is the shyt I’m talking about and companies are looking for. I’m this market they can now afford to be picky.

Last edited:

Yinny

I miss LLC Twitter
Daps
Reppin
Shangri-La
I should be allowed to work from home at least a few days a week.
Companies are definitely moving to hybrid and likely eventually five days a week again.

Most of the positions I see list hybrid, including all the ones at my current company

It was fun while it lasted :mjcry:

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Companies are definitely moving to hybrid and likely eventually five days a week again.

Most of the positions I see list hybrid, including all the ones at my current company

It was fun while it lasted :mjcry:
It didn't last long for me. I've been hybrid since April 2021!