6 Figures 6 Certs Random Thoughts Thread

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Hasn't cyber security turned out to be high stress, high turnover, shyt rolling downhill bytch work?
Lol not sure who you've talked in Cybersecurity but it sounds like they are stuck working for a terrible company. Just like every role in the corporate world, it's going to have it's good and it's bad. One thing I will say, the stress comes from not getting the proper support to do what you were hired to do. In my role, I essentially present the issue and the solution. If management gives me the ok, I proceed, if they don't, I have them document it and move on. That vulnerable web server with a public facing IP address isn't my issue once I've been told not to touch it :yeshrug:

Striving For Greatness

Get Certs or Die Tryin
Daps
How can I work my way to 6 figures

Here are my goals:

Security +
Network +
CCNA
CISSP
CS degree

Thinking about getting a good understanding, viewing job requirments, and doing labs pretaining to these areas :jbhmm:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits

Here are my goals:

Security +
Network +
CCNA
CISSP
CS degree

Thinking about getting a good understanding, viewing job requirments, and doing labs pretaining to these areas :jbhmm:
Just do it.

And be consistent.

People been telling they've been trying break into tech for years, still in the same position they were 5 years ago.

Best pathway CC ---> 4 year state school then :eat:

After about a year at a CC, you should have more than enough qualifications to get a fully remote job making 60+k.

papa pimp

All Star
Daps

Here are my goals:

Security +
Network +
CCNA
CISSP
CS degree

why both net+ and ccna?
also you will likely need intermediate certs/training/experience before a cybersecurity management cert like CISSP makes sense

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps

Here are my goals:

Security +
Network +
CCNA
CISSP
CS degree

I don't think you need a CS degree for that path. It's very IT/Network centric whereas Computer Science degrees set you up to be a software developer. A Computer Information Systems degree is more that speed, and I think it gets you to the A+, Network+ level.

Striving For Greatness

Get Certs or Die Tryin
Daps
Just do it.

And be consistent.

People been telling they've been trying break into tech for years, still in the same position they were 5 years ago.

Best pathway CC ---> 4 year state school then :eat:

After about a year at a CC, you should have more than enough qualifications to get a fully remote job making 60+k.

Thanks

that 4 years will be rough but I'll figure it out. Definetly will get a few certs before going to college in hopes to land a job with a higher salary to afford classes :dead:

why both net+ and ccna?
also you will likely need intermediate certs/training/experience before a cybersecurity management cert like CISSP makes sense
:manny: True guess I can skip net+

Just want to get a better understanding of the areas I'm interseted in. I just noticed most authors of some study guides have multiple certs

I don't think you need a CS degree for that path. It's very IT/Network centric whereas Computer Science degrees set you up to be a software developer. A Computer Information Systems degree is more that speed, and I think it gets you to the A+, Network+ level.

Thanks

yea I guess I'll drop the cs degress and learn a programming language on my own for a hobby

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Thanks

that 4 years will be rough but I'll figure it out. Definetly will get a few certs before going to college in hopes to land a job with a higher salary to afford classes :dead:

:manny: True guess I can skip net+

Just want to get a better understanding of the areas I'm interseted in. I just noticed most authors of some study guides have multiple certs

Thanks

yea I guess I'll drop the cs degress and learn a programming language on my own for a hobby
I want to give you a heads up; this might seem a bit overwhelming initially.

Begin by honing in on a specific area of interest and avoid attempting to become a master of all trades.

Think about whether you're drawn to Front End development, Backend (:dame:), IT support, Cybersecurity, or another specialization.

It appears that you're leaning towards a path in Cybersecurity and IT support, which is completely fine. As Obreh pointed out, a degree in Computer Information Systems (CIS) might be more in line with your interests and pace.

CS has weed out courses like Calculus, Linear Algebreh, and Discrete Math. If your primary focus, as I assume, is to maximize your earnings, CIS is the far easier path, with just as big of bag. :hubie:

Plus down the line, you always pick up software development languages. But like I said, a lot will be on your plate to initially learn.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis

Here are my goals:

Security +
Network +
CCNA
CISSP
CS degree

Are you currently in IT?( If not, focus on getting in first and the 6 figures will come)

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps

Here are my goals:

Security +
Network +
CCNA
CISSP
CS degree

My advice...
Network plus and ccna --- pick one
Security plus n cissp --- go for cissp for the associate of isc.
Dump the cs degree ...self learn python n Linux

Continue to build on that by learning a cloud plat like aws n learn a sase plat form like (like Palo)

If u want to be a developer then go the c.s route

Striving For Greatness

Get Certs or Die Tryin
Daps
Are you currently in IT?( If not, focus on getting in first and the 6 figures will come)

Yes entry level, making 50k before taxes. We basically pre configuring devices for our customers, nothing crazy

My advice...
Network plus and ccna --- pick one
Security plus n cissp --- go for cissp for the associate of isc.
Dump the cs degree ...self learn python n Linux

Continue to build on that by learning a cloud plat like aws n learn a sase plat form like (like Palo)

If u want to be a developer then go the c.s route

Nice! There was a breh and brehette on my team that studied kubernetes. Both found employment else where shortly after being hired to my team :ehh:

I want to give you a heads up; this might seem a bit overwhelming initially.

Begin by honing in on a specific area of interest and avoid attempting to become a master of all trades.

Think about whether you're drawn to Front End development, Backend (:dame:), IT support, Cybersecurity, or another specialization.

It appears that you're leaning towards a path in Cybersecurity and IT support, which is completely fine. As Obreh pointed out, a degree in Computer Information Systems (CIS) might be more in line with your interests and pace.

CS has weed out courses like Calculus, Linear Algebreh, and Discrete Math. If your primary focus, as I assume, is to maximize your earnings, CIS is the far easier path, with just as big of bag. :hubie:

Plus down the line, you always pick up software development languages. But like I said, a lot will be on your plate to initially learn.

I'll definitely give it more thought and sort out a path

Thank you brehs for all of the input, it will not go to waste.

I was unemployed when I first signed up here after losing my 1st IT job and you guys along with a few other things inspired me to get back into it :blessed: