6 Figures 6 Certs Random Thoughts Thread

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
I don't think you need a CS degree for that path. It's very IT/Network centric whereas Computer Science degrees set you up to be a software developer. A Computer Information Systems degree is more that speed, and I think it gets you to the A+, Network+ level.

I guess it depends on the school. CIS degrees where I'm from was more programming than theory like CS is. There were IT degrees for networking/IT work.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
I guess it depends on the school. CIS degrees where I'm from was more programming than theory like CS is. There were IT degrees for networking/IT work.
Breh a lot nikkas just trying get to bag as quickly as possible to improve their circumstances. I don’t fault them.

However, the theoretical aspect can take a back seat initially when starting off. My goal is to help brehs attain a stable position where they can earn a decent salary, even before completing half of their schooling.

As black men, we're aware that stability isn't guaranteed, whether it's in terms of family, housing, or employment.

To be honest, a significant portion of my job could be handled after completing a single college-level SQL course (@HaitianPatty), with the rest learned on the job.

@Striving For Greatness ,Interestingly, I had a similar conversation with my nephew, who's a freshman CS student and struggling with math. I shared insights about those challenging weed-out courses. I also emphasized how individuals like @Obreh Winfrey don't rely on those difficult math classes in their careers. So, opting for the CIS route appears to be a more practical choice, especially considering the significant overlap and the option to take computer science electives.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Breh a lot nikkas just trying get to bag as quickly as possible to improve their circumstances. I don’t fault them.

However, the theoretical aspect can take a back seat initially when starting off. My goal is to help brehs attain a stable position where they can earn a decent salary, even before completing half of their schooling.

As black men, we're aware that stability isn't guaranteed, whether it's in terms of family, housing, or employment.

To be honest, a significant portion of my job could be handled after completing a single college-level SQL course (@HaitianPatty), with the rest learned on the job.

@Striving For Greatness ,Interestingly, I had a similar conversation with my nephew, who's a freshman CS student and struggling with math. I shared insights about those challenging weed-out courses. I also emphasized how individuals like @Obreh Winfrey don't rely on those difficult math classes in their careers. So, opting for the CIS route appears to be a more practical choice, especially considering the significant overlap and the option to take computer science electives.
I think he meant to point out that schools aren't all following the same conventions with their degree programs, where CIS was more IT at my school, but CIS was in reality computer science at his.

Nokids

Promise if I have a seed imma guide him right
Daps
Reppin
I'm going to start omitting my race though my name is very black so it probably doesn't matter.
Been thinking about doing the same. It's no way im getting ghosted off my resume alone, something else is scaring them :francis:
I have the same name as a famous nfl analyst and it’s very..Black haha but I just used the shortened version and then after I get the job tell them I rather be called _______(Your name) :ufdup:

And I put 2 or more races

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I have the same name as a famous nfl analyst and it’s very..Black haha but I just used the shortened version and then after I get the job tell them I rather be called _______(Your name) :ufdup:

And I put 2 or more races
My name has a hyphen. Maybe I can use the second part? It sounds like a white name but it's spelled differently.

Nokids

Daps
Reppin
work has been fukking hell this summer...my micromanaging ass manager has been driving me crazy...i swear if the main project im working on wasnt so high profile i would have looked for a different position around the company
Man having a micromanager sucks I have an Asian boss he’s Ight and very knowledgeable but it made Rush hour 1&2 more relatable by a MILE

Nokids

Daps
Reppin
My name has a hyphen. Maybe I can use the second part? It sounds like a white name but it's spelled differently.
Yea say It’s Malcolm-Jamaal Warner .. use Warner and see if your resume gets more hits, if it’s different effect then *surprise* racism but if not then you know the resume gotta get fixed up

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Yes entry level, making 50k before taxes. We basically pre configuring devices for our customers, nothing crazy

Nice! There was a breh and brehette on my team that studied kubernetes. Both found employment else where shortly after being hired to my team :ehh:

I'll definitely give it more thought and sort out a path

Thank you brehs for all of the input, it will not go to waste.

I was unemployed when I first signed up here after losing my 1st IT job and you guys along with a few other things inspired me to get back into it :blessed:
Truth is you have to be willing to be uncomfortable. All those tough projects that no one wants to be a part of, dive in head first and learn as much as you can. Learn all you can, develop as many skills as you can, and be willing to go elsewhere. Rinse, repeat. I've been with my employer for a minute but that's because they took real good care of me when I was about to leave. Now I'm trying to get into the ML/AI space and I've already told myself to get ready to start shopping that resume in a year or so. To get to the salary range you want, you have to be prepared to jump ship every 2-3 years. It sucks but employers aren't going to pay you your worth unless you force their hand.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm still in the office and Monday is a holiday. If my manager want wasn't here I would've dipped like an hour and a half ago.

Even the office manager took off at 2.

:beli: