6 Figures 6 Certs Random Thoughts Thread

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
A VERY good company offered me training for a Tech Support role. I'd be making less but it aligns with my wanting to transition from the more business side to IT (Systems Admin).

I haven't done the interview process in a while, what are some questions I should ask?

Why should we hire you?
What are your strengths/weaknesses?
Name a challenge you had in a previous role and what you did to work through it.

Can’t speak to technical or specific role questions but you get a lot of behavioural questions to see if you’re a cultural fit.

Go to glassdoor for that role and company and see what questions were asked. That has helped me in the past.

Last edited:

JayStarwind

Superstar
Daps
Why should we hire you?
What are your strengths/weaknesses?
Name a challenge you had in a previous role and what you did to work through it.

Can’t speak to technical or specific role questions but you get a lot of behavioural questions to see if you’re a cultural fit.

Go to glassdoor for that role and company and see what questions were asked. That has helped me in the past.
Thanks. I interviewed Friday and am praying that I get the role.

Based Lord Zedd

Colts or Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston TX
I've mentioned it on here before but I think it's about time for me to leave my role. I get paid pretty well am fully remote...but I swear they treat me like a bytch.
  • When I got hired, they brought on a few of us. The others couldn't cut it, and I was good enough that they realized they only needed 1 person.
  • Regularly trotting me in front of C-Suite to present things or handle requests.
  • Leading projects, meetings, and working with damn near every team at the company.
  • Outperforming the person before me, who had a higher position.
But whenever I want to talk about my career it's excuses, delays or nonsense like telling me "job titles don't matter and we should all just come in and work hard" :skip: Yeah, easy to say when you have the title already.

greenvale

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Delaware
Dealing with a weak subordinate is just :francis:

Exact opposite of me... needs to be handheld, needs to be micromanaged to make her do her job, fails to ask questions when obviously confused, etc.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Officially an info sec auditor :wow:. Base is 100K with profit sharing from 20K to 55K..the quicker I get this, the more I can reach the 55K level. Going shoot for my pci compliance certs as possible so I can on pci projects.

Six weeks on the job market, dumping the rest of my severance in investments.

Lord Z

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
CN
Officially an info sec auditor :wow:. Base is 100K with profit sharing from 20K to 55K..the quicker I get this, the more I can reach the 55K level. Going shoot for my pci compliance certs as possible so I can on pci projects.

Six weeks on the job market, dumping the rest of my severance in investments.

:salute:
Since I am in the GRC game, let me drop some jewels on you breh :mjlit::

• PCI is cool, I don't come across it as often as I thought. Choose your certification carefully, some of them are linked directly to your current role. Make sure whatever you get doesn't require you to be working for an ASV.
  • ISO 27001 is VERY popular with international companies. I got a few companies certified (I'm in Canada)
  • SOC2 is the equivalent of ISO 27001 in the States. I'm going through training from the AICPA.
  • CMMC compliance is coming in strong as a Government requirement.

With all the certs you got already, adding PCI and one of either ISO or SOC2 will be :wow:. Be ready to get challenged on the regular, some devils hate seeing overly certified guys :sas2:.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I was going to try to cut costs by starting to give new hires used laptops, but for some reason people here love to put stickers in their laptops. So tomorrow’s new hire might get a new one because I don’t have any Goo Gone.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I was going to try to cut costs by starting to give new hires used laptops, but for some reason people here love to put stickers in their laptops. So tomorrow’s new hire might get a new one because I don’t have any Goo Gone.
Tell them it's a a special type of asset tag and that's their ass if they remove it.