6 Figures 6 Certs Random Thoughts Thread

Forsaken

All Star
Daps
Mam, I am lost career wise on Great interview with the security audit team today. First interview in a while where I feel people were not trying to rail road me.

My first year will be a pay cut mid 80s(huge pay, under paid for qualifications )but they promote pretty fast within a year to jump back to the six..I will be doing soc, HIPPA, cloud security, fisma, privacy audits can get my hands on tons of project. Within a year, I can easily jump back to six figs or more. To add to my experience.

Telecom, dead end six fig job, fully remote, no stress so I may be able to double up on contract work.

I don't want nothing to do with operations anymore or hands on technical work.

Huuhh..what would u do?
Not taking a 20k pay reduction unless I'm laid off. Would take the easy job, study and pad resume with certs.

Lord Z

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
CN
Mam, I am lost career wise on Great interview with the security audit team today. First interview in a while where I feel people were not trying to rail road me.

My first year will be a pay cut mid 80s(huge pay, under paid for qualifications )but they promote pretty fast within a year to jump back to the six..I will be doing soc, HIPPA, cloud security, fisma, privacy audits can get my hands on tons of project. Within a year, I can easily jump back to six figs or more. To add to my experience.

Telecom, dead end six fig job, fully remote, no stress so I may be able to double up on contract work.

I don't want nothing to do with operations anymore or hands on technical work.

Huuhh..what would u do?
I wouldn't do it either.

With your certs and experience, there is no way you should be mid 80s. Not sure what is your current situation but the only way I take this, is if I have nothing at the moment.

If I were you, I would stick it out wherever I am and just keep applying to stuff.

Why are you leaving your current gig ?

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
I wouldn't do it either.

With your certs and experience, there is no way you should be mid 80s. Not sure what is your current situation but the only way I take this, is if I have nothing at the moment.

If I were you, I would stick it out wherever I am and just keep applying to stuff.

Why are you leaving your current gig ?

They had layoffs again and I was affected this time around.

My previous telecom job will pay me 120K..
Fully remote, back when I was doing it. It was pretty flexible. I can literally wake up in the morning get all the work done and not be bothered.

That was a discussion I had with HR, they said they will not budge salary wise so I will be coming in the 80's but promotion can happen less than a year.

The expectations for the new comers will be to get their cissp, cisa, cloud cerrs etc. etc. I already have all that. So I know I can get promoted fairly quickly. Their last two hires got promoted within a year .

I can do security audits forever, not sure about the telecom since it's a lot of fiber n legacy systems. I know I can get even more pay after they train me on these audits.

So I am stuck decision wise.

Lord Z

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
CN

Fully remote, back when I was doing it. It was pretty flexible. I can literally wake up in the morning get all the work done and not be bothered.

That was a discussion I had with HR, they said they will not budge salary wise so I will be coming in the 80's but promotion can happen less than a year.

The expectations for the new comers will be to get their cissp, cisa, cloud cerrs etc. etc. I already have all that. So I know I can get promoted fairly quickly. Their last two hires got promoted within a year .

I can do security audits forever, not sure about the telecom since it's a lot of fiber n legacy systems. I know I can get even more pay after they train me on these audits.

Yeah, I would take it in this case but I would make sure job title wise, it is a step up or at least equivalent to your previous title.

At least, by taking this you won't be starving / going through your savings.

Anyway, Don't change your linkedin or anything and keep applying to stuff. If you're lucky, you can find something by September and not even put the 80K job on your resume :umad:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits

If one job is super easy /flexible why can’t you do both jobs then until you find a solid contract or get promoted.:patrice:

Also idk how your chick would feel about you taking a pay cut

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
oh do i despise working with project managers that dont understand what i do or what their client does...slowing down everything for this implementation im trying to do..making me repeat myself...and now has the nerve to refer to me as "P" on emails and meetings...like sorry we arent friends or casual acquaintances you better call me by my actual first name :ufdup:..never mind the casual swearing she does and the fact she looks disheleved everytime shes on camera for these zoom meetings...im going to make sure she understands how to address me at the next scheduled meeting on wed or thurs

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Yeah, I would take it in this case but I would make sure job title wise, it is a step up or at least equivalent to your previous title.

At least, by taking this you won't be starving / going through your savings.

Anyway, Don't change your linkedin or anything and keep applying to stuff. If you're lucky, you can find something by September and not even put the 80K job on your resume :umad:

I really wanted to do the year for the experience in cyber audits.

If one job is super easy /flexible why can’t you do both jobs then until you find a solid contract or get promoted.:patrice:

Also idk how your chick would feel about you taking a pay cut

She supportive since she sees the bigger vision if she didn't, she would have to get cut herself...she would be making more money than me for at least a year. The cyber security job will require me to travel so I can't do both. The Telecom job is no travel, I just know that I will have tons of flexibility because I had little to no calls back then.

but if I lean the telecom job, I can eventually double up with something else or another remote contract.

Forsaken

All Star
Daps

Why even entertain making 30k+ less for maybe getting promoted?

I'd go back to old job and ask to shadow the internal cyber team. Worse case they say no.

Last edited:

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Why even entertain making 30k+ looks 5 for maybe getting promoted?

I'd go back to old job and ask to shadow the internal cyber team. Worse case they say no.

I am only entertaining it because it will add to my cyber security experience. I will get HIPPA, privacy, soc, nist etc auditor experience and I will also be traveling for work.

My sister told me to pass if I get an offer.

Lord Z

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
CN
I am only entertaining it because it will add to my cyber security experience. I will get HIPPA, privacy, soc, nist etc auditor experience and I will also be traveling for work.

My sister told me to pass if I get an offer.
Basically, you're taking a paycut to get into GRC. Unless your sister is in Cyber/IT, I don't think she understands the context.

I would say it's worth it in your situation because it is somewhat hard to get into GRC. With your technical background and certs, GRC experience will be great for your profile.

That 40K paycut hits hard :mjcry:but if that's your best offer right now, it's not like you have a choice :francis:. Keep applying and I guess make a decision when you have actual offers in front of you.

Anyway, we are all just giving opinions. You make the call based on what's best for you :birdman:

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps

Are you unemployed I haven't been keeping up. Going from 120K to 80s I would have drew a line in the sand and told them good luck filling the position.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
:whew: had to catch myself from working too hard.

Sometimes i feel guilty for working until 2 or 3(on a lot of days it’s 12pm),been getting that good at completing projects and setting up pipelines.

I’m already sitting on a ton of insight that I can gradually divulge over the coming weeks.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
:whew: had to catch myself from working too hard.

Sometimes i feel guilty for working until 2 or 3(on a lot of days it’s 12pm),been getting that good at completing projects and setting up pipelines.

I’m already sitting on a ton of insight that I can gradually divulge over the coming weeks.
:myman: make that shyt look hard and easy at the same time.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Are you unemployed I haven't been keeping up. Going from 120K to 80s I would have drew a line in the sand and told them good luck filling the position.

Unemployed as of last month(well not anymore). My previous employer (before my cyber job) gave me $120K to come back. Career wise it is not a good move honestly. That company is way too fickle for me. I am contracting with them n I have seen them lay tons of people before.

A cyber sec auditor is a long term career. With my experience at to n certs. I know I can bounce to six in a year after getting these compliance experience. There are many sides to cyber sec. Auditors can work 9 to 5s. Sec Engineer n incident response or sec malware analyst have tougher jobs. GRC can get me into management. Also they are a growing firm.

. I have accepted but I will do what's best for me long term.

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
Why do I feel like I'm training my replacement while I use this Github Copilot? shyt has definitely made my job an even bigger cake walk than it normally is tho :whew: