6 Figures 6 Certs Random Thoughts Thread

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Had the HM interview today, my girl warned me this dude can be one person one day and another the next. No clue how it went since he was a completely diff person than he was two weeks ago. but I went full unconventional and text him my old manager's contact info and said they should chat since the teams were so similar and the reasons I was hired by my old manager are similar to what this current HM is looking for. Went way off script - it might work or might look way too thirsty :yeshrug:

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
Had the HM interview today, my girl warned me this dude can be one person one day and another the next. No clue how it went since he was a completely diff person than he was two weeks ago. but I went full unconventional and text him my old manager's contact info and said they should chat since the teams were so similar and the reasons I was hired by my old manager are similar to what this current HM is looking for. Went way off script - it might work or might look way too thirsty :yeshrug:
As long as the outcome is income :manny:

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Recruiters in my inbox too, but the jobs are awful.

Meanwhile, the people manager is now a part of my 1:1s with my manager. She wrote an IT partnership document defines the scope of my work and how she and my manager can help me. They said they’re happy with my performance and this isn’t disciplinary. Part of it is that my manager is an engineering manager in meetings all day. But this still feels weird to me.

Lord Z

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
CN

Meanwhile, the people manager is now a part of my 1:1s with my manager. She wrote an IT partnership document defines the scope of my work and how she and my manager can help me. They said they’re happy with my performance and this isn’t disciplinary. Part of it is that my manager is an engineering manager in meetings all day. But this still feels weird to me.
I have seen this before and it never ends good :comeon:

They are writing something down so there is a formal perimeter to your work. You get out of that perimeter and they got your ass for whatever they are trying to pull.

Did you tell them that you were struggling for 2 Managers to have to help you ? :jbhmm:. These devils really think that we are stupid :bryan:

If I were you, I would actively start looking for another job :francis:

Panther

Byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ByrdGang

Org sounds disorganized as fukk

Panther

Byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ByrdGang
Had a multiple calls/interviews this week.

Most promising is a start up offering that BAG
:whoo:
Been through 3 rounds. Have one more with the HR manager next week, but the recruiter wants to talk today (im assuming to discuss salary).

Here's my question. The JD listed a salary range that is 25% - 40% higher than average for this position. Whats the negotiation strategy when anything in this range is more than normal?

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits

Meant to ask this here.

Anyone else notice an uptick in recruiters hitting them up the past few weeks. I feel like towards the end of February was significantly slower. Yet every day I’m getting multiple calls and emails.

A lot of the stuff is weak / not enough information.

Some of the jobs sound decent but I usually forget to follow through with them when I’m off work.

Also I’m not seeing a salary range :mjpls:

And by weak I mean hybrid or some place hit me up about $24 an hour. :mjlol:

I couldn’t help but crack up.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Been through 3 rounds. Have one more with the HR manager next week, but the recruiter wants to talk today (im assuming to discuss salary).

Here's my question. The JD listed a salary range that is 25% - 40% higher than average for this position. Whats the negotiation strategy when anything in this range is more than normal?

I’d still go high.

Talk but @Spence or @PrnzHakeem are probably your best bet at navigating this.

Spence

Superstar
Daps

You GOTTA let them put figures on the table first, if you don’t you’re leaving money on the table. Once they spit out a figure (THIS WILL ALWAYS BE ON THEIR LOWER END) tell them you need to take some time to review. Get to the initial offer, reject it, then if the second offer isn’t good enough reject that one too. The third offer is always the final and best.

Don’t be afraid to ask for a sign on bonus either. All they can do is say no.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
I’d still go high.

Talk but @Spence or @PrnzHakeem are probably your best bet at navigating this.
Not sure what was funny on my comment, but I’ve been on both sides of recruiting (staffing and internal TA) the first offer is ALWAYS bullshyt and at minimum 10% below what a company WILL spend. The third offer is usually max or close to max of the roles budget.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
:ehh::blessed::wow:

script and open software driven environment will work better in the long run.

are you guys on linux?

all them remote space rovers, super computers etc run on unix (well linux) for a reason.
We haven’t made the switch yet.

But we’ve started experimenting with some potential replacements with python via Jupyter.

It’s not bad tbh :ehh:

And it does shake things up.

Had no idea there were drag and drop plugins for jupyter.

I haven’t had a lot of time to play with it. But it seems fairly straight forward.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland

I always have them share the range they are looking to pay the role, I say if the range is in line with my expectations or not and leave it there, if pressed I’ll straight up say I’m looking to be at the higher end of that range. Hopefully they give you an offer that’s near where you want to be and then negotiate another 10-20k depending on salary band. But I never say something like “I’m expecting 150”, I just try to set or align to their range.

Good luck :salute:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
On to the next and I think final round…two more interviews on Monday

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Think you got good advice so far. The salary could be higher for a variety of reasons so don’t think about it. Try to get paid as much as you can. Be respectful and direct. First offer is never the best offer. Always negotiate even if you’re happy. Do it out of principle. And tell them what you bring and why you should be paid that amount. Also money is not the only thing you can negotiate on. Could be vacation time, and other perks.

Good luck.