6 Figures 6 Certs Random Thoughts Thread

greenvale

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Delaware
Yeah. We were paying offshore millions of dollars a yr and had project after project cancelled or didn't work.

With good people, you can replace 10 offshore people with 4 full-time employees. The 4 full-time employees may cost more on paper but you'll get good results( hopefully ), where as the 10 offshore people will keep delaying or can't get shyt to work and it just drags on. Now our competitors are beating us in technology.
The challenge I've always faced with offshore is if you don't give the instructions EXACTLY as you intended it you're SOL. Most seem to be uncapable of exercising independent judgement. Not sure if that's a cultural thing

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
The challenge I've always faced with offshore is if you don't give the instructions EXACTLY as you intended it you're SOL. Most seem to be uncapable of exercising independent judgement. Not sure if that's a cultural thing

omg.. Breh this is sooo true. This crap happen to me 2 weeks ago.

We were moving one of our environments to the cloud and so we needed to install SQL Server Management Studio on our PC because RDP'ing in wasn't going to work.

End of my day, I write an email w/ instructions on how to install it.

1.) Go to MS website, install it. Here's the URL to connect to the DB. etc.

Next day I come in. Within 5 minutes, one of them ping me. saying they can't open the program. So i'm like ok. It took me no more than 10 minutes to download & install.

Setup a Webex and asked them to screen share.

Ask them to open the program so I can see what error she was getting.

Come to find out, she installed it the first time but kept clicking on the setup.exe and she was getting the Repair/Uninstall message.

I'm like wtf. Go to your Start menu and open the program from there, you already installed it :snoop:.

Come on. You shouldn't even have to google something like that( but at least you could of done that ). This is some Intro to Computers BS. lol.

I didn't think I had to tell you to go to your start menu and open it in my email. Geez

greenvale

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Delaware
omg.. Breh this is sooo true. This crap happen to me 2 weeks ago.

We were moving one of our environments to the cloud and so we needed to install SQL Server Management Studio on our PC because RDP'ing in wasn't going to work.

End of my day, I write an email w/ instructions on how to install it.

1.) Go to MS website, install it. Here's the URL to connect to the DB. etc.

Next day I come in. Within 5 minutes, one of them ping me. saying they can't open the program. So i'm like ok. It took me no more than 10 minutes to download & install.

Setup a Webex and asked them to screen share.

Ask them to open the program so I can see what error she was getting.

Come to find out, she installed it the first time but kept clicking on the setup.exe and she was getting the Repair/Uninstall message.

I'm like wtf. Go to your Start menu and open the program from there, you already installed it :snoop:.

Come on. You shouldn't even have to google something like that( but at least you could of done that ). This is some Intro to Computers BS. lol.

I didn't think I had to tell you to go to your start menu and open it in my email. Geez
I'm crying LMAO. On a serious note though it really is a pain in the ass. Especially because they're across the globe, they're not sure about how the business actually works since they don't interface with it at all... I spend a decent amount of my time scrutinizing their logic and I can't even blame them sometimes... They have no idea what the actual output should be

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Yeah. We were paying offshore millions of dollars a yr and had project after project cancelled or didn't work.

With good people, you can replace 10 offshore people with 4 full-time employees. The 4 full-time employees may cost more on paper but you'll get good results( hopefully ), where as the 10 offshore people will keep delaying or can't get shyt to work and it just drags on. Now our competitors are beating us in technology.
If I didn't know any better I'd say we worked for the same place. We were told similar but I think it was a 4:1 ratio. One thing to keep an eye on though is how the company moves. Ours is opening a branch in Nap's backyard. Naturally that means they can cut contractors, but hire FTEs out there at a cheaper cost. I personally don't mind them having jobs, but I'm wearing a out my company actually building the employee workforce where they're cutting the contractors.

Yeah some of those people are functionally retarded if there's any gaps in instructions. But then get on the phone to explain things to them and they wanna hustle you off the phone :what:. The ones that can think for themselves are few and far between. I think it's cultural with the education style in regards to tech. Their system probably doesn't put them in a situation to handle something through critical thinking and troubleshooting.

greenvale

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Delaware
If I didn't know any better I'd say we worked for the same place. We were told similar but I think it was a 4:1 ratio. One thing to keep an eye on though is how the company moves. Ours is opening a branch in Nap's backyard. Naturally that means they can cut contractors, but hire FTEs out there at a cheaper cost. I personally don't mind them having jobs, but I'm wearing a out my company actually building the employee workforce where they're cutting the contractors.

Yeah some of those people are functionally retarded if there's any gaps in instructions. But then get on the phone to explain things to them and they wanna hustle you off the phone :what:. The ones that can think for themselves are few and far between. I think it's cultural with the education style in regards to tech. Their system probably doesn't put them in a situation to handle something through critical thinking and troubleshooting.
shyt is wild breh. We had a lil bit of a logic issue where the number wasn't as we expected. I gave them a query to get the exact number I was getting and they kept trying to confirm different code changes with me. Like breh just run your query, if you don't get the number it isn't right!

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I received a couple of random Apple 2FA texts. I told the security engineer…

Apple and 1Pass password resets. A Slack huddle. And 10 minutes ago, he had me send him my Chrome history.

I’m still not convinced this deserves all the alarm bells going off.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I'm all for self promotion! My boss asked me about it because I expressed interest a few weeks back. It will be dope to be able to.
I don't mind presenting. My boss said I should present stuff to our broader organization, but the problem is I only have a surface level understanding of some of the new tech we moved into. I've seen some internal presentations where they only knew what they could find on the landing page and that shyt was hard to sit through. I'm not going to be that person :hubie: .

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I don't mind presenting. My boss said I should present stuff to our broader organization, but the problem is I only have a surface level understanding of some of the new tech we moved into. I've seen some internal presentations where they only knew what they could find on the landing page and that shyt was hard to sit through. I'm not going to be that person :hubie: .

Yeah I'm technical but since I'm in sales now I've given up on some the technical stuff, so talking about business value, etc is more impactful than getting into the nitty gritty tech wise.

PrnzHakeem

FKA LilNukka
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Haven
Feel like my boss is keeping my workload light and trying to spare me from doing some of the deep and strategic work so early in my tenure (just hit 2 months), but I feel like I'd be comfortable jumping in, aint that why you hired me?

In the meantime, I'm drafting a bunch of changes for how I think our function should and could work better. Come the end of the summer I can take off running with it

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I received a couple of random Apple 2FA texts. I told the security engineer…

Apple and 1Pass password resets. A Slack huddle. And 10 minutes ago, he had me send him my Chrome history.

I’m still not convinced this deserves all the alarm bells going off.
I’m swapping computers and the security eng still has no idea how my password might’ve been compromised. I’m not even sure if it was.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
so had the recruiter call and bro spent 5 mins selling WLB and how the company is a place where people have long careers because it's a comfortable place to work... all in hopes of apologizing for the comp not being the same as tech salaries...but i can tell he was benchmarking against FAANG and other big tech and large "startups" like Stripe, cuz the comp is on par with most other types of tech companies.

the base is on par, maybe ~20k shy of top end for this level, but given the bonus is 25-30% of base (i don't even have a bonus where i work, and bonus is still usually 15-20% for my level most places), plus sign on, plus RSUs (def smaller than big tech, but not hugely so for a non-tech role) and 401k match of 10%, immediately vested....the package was noice

the HM didn't tell the recruiter we already talked, so I have a formal HM round coming up where the HM said they'd just walk me through everything the other interviewers would ask :dead: