[6/30/24] AEW x NJPW x CMLL Present Forbidden Door: Swerve/Ospreay, Mox/Naito, New TNT Champ, ZSJ/OC, Elite/Scissor Aces and More

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Honestly this needs to be the last Forbidden Door event for a while

It’s run it’s course right now we’ve seen just about every match up we can possibly see
:what: they got 10k tickets sold after a cold as ice stretch. And everything points to the buys being in the same park as year's past. The interest is still clearly there.

Finn Baller

Superstar
Daps

It’s run it’s course right now we’ve seen just about every match up we can possibly see

it's gonna be their biggest gate since Sting retired, it's definitely not for me but it's the PPV the sickos are most invested in :manny:

maybe New Japan will actually make some new stars in the coming years

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps

New Japan has a good group of young talents that just need to be either step up and/or be elevated. Problem is they take eons to elevate anyone.

I still want to see Hiromu vs. Darby.

We've barely scratched the surface with what CMLL and Stardom can offer.

OneDeep

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
New Japan has a good group of young talents that just need to be either step up and/or be elevated. Problem is they take eons to elevate anyone.

I still want to see Hiromu vs. Darby.

We've barely scratched the surface with what CMLL and Stardom can offer.
I’m actually surprised there’s no Bullet Club involvement this year

Or HoT isn’t Jack Perry are apart of that

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
They need to focus less on njpw and more on cmll and aaa. If they can get more sort from those two it can lead to newer matchups. Not to mention that having a forbidden door type of event hosted by those companies or njpw in their countries may be something new and interesting. Let someone else play host, like rotate it. There are so many wrestlers out there that we haven't seen or matches. Doesn't just have to be aew vs njpw.
There will never be a co-promoted PPV with CMLL and AAA both attached to it. And that AAA roster is pretty barren.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
I’m actually surprised there’s no Bullet Club involvement this year

Or HoT isn’t Jack Perry are apart of that

Def surprised. I think if Perry wasn't in the tnt match and Copeland never got hurt at all, they could've done something with HoT on there. Now that I think about it, I don't think we seen Evil on a FD card. Maybe I'm wrong tho.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
Forbidden Door doing a million dollar gate again this year. It's consistently their best-performing non-Wembley PPV as far as the live gate goes.

Last year's Forbidden Door was the biggest non-Wembley gate they ever recorded at $1.2 million, according to TK himself, and they went to Canada for that one.

And this year doing a million dollar gate again is pretty surprising for a number of reasons
  1. Unless you're familiar with the politics of CMLL and Mexican wrestling, which I'm going to assume the vast majority of wrestling fans are not, there's no historically significant event to draw people in like Sting's retirement match, which was the catalyst for their only other million dollar gate of the year
  2. AEW's ticket sales and ratings are going down the drain
  3. New Japan's stature has gone down the drain just as much if not more than AEW's ratings and ticket sales, which I think for many, included myself, has dampened their excitement for this PPV compared to past years.
  4. Some of their biggest stars are out for various reasons in Omega, Hangman, Britt Baker, Jamie Hayter, Adam Cole, Adam Copeland, FTR, Darby Allin, Eddie Kingston (and a NYC guy on top of that)
  5. The Dynasty PPV did a worse live gate than Big Business, so it's not like AEW's PPV business is guaranteed big bucks anymore, though it is guaranteed a lot more money than the typical TV taping
  6. They were just in the NYC area for a PPV six months ago
  7. WWE ran Smackdown from MSG two days ago and drew like 17K for that, and historically AEW running the same market in a short time frame as WWE has killed AEW's ticket sales.