31 Days Of Halloween: The Official Film Room Horror Movie Watch Thread

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I watched the Scream trilogy over the last few days, and I have to admit, I think Scream 3 is about the same quality as the first two, and was unfairly criticized. It's much more meta, and nearer to tongue in cheek, in what was always a series of tongue and cheek, and it wasn't new, (the first was ground breaking), but what a funny and timely satire, that holds the test of time.
Man that movie doesn’t work for me. I feel you on it being a straight satire but for me, it’s really neutered and too silly. Then gets way too convoluted, like a lot of part 3s actually. When I think of the scream series, it’s last and the only one I don’t like

cac poster

// ...
Daps
Reppin
Paris
I watched the Scream trilogy over the last few days, and I have to admit, I think Scream 3 is about the same quality as the first two, and was unfairly criticized. It's much more meta, and nearer to tongue in cheek, in what was always a series of tongue and cheek, and it wasn't new, (the first was ground breaking), but what a funny and timely satire, that holds the test of time.
I’m soured on “meta” craven... New Nightmare sucked ass!

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Man that movie doesn’t work for me. I feel you on it being a straight satire but for me, it’s really neutered and too silly. Then gets way too convoluted, like a lot of part 3s actually. When I think of the scream series, it’s last and the only one I don’t like

I would say watch again sometime, (given your movie intake, that is unlikely, I know) I wouldn't go far as straight satire, it works convincingly as a horror movie, there are jump scares, and gore, red herrings, and how can a Scream fan not love the attack within a replica of Sidney's house in Woodsboro? It's only slightly sillier than the first two, realism is only going to go so far in a series like Scream.

The nods and laughs on the whole industry are as good as the ones from the first Scream, just about horror movies. It's truly a Hollywood/LA movie, the shots of the hills, the security guard who dresses down Dewey significantly (Dew Drop), the actor/actresses, even the casting couch/Weinstein dynamic is addressed, with the accused getting his throat slit (Final Cut) I think Scream 4 was the weakest of the series, and the only one I really didn't like very much.

Was it here I read that the script originally had the cop (Kinkaid) as the killer? Also, I did see in theaters at age 14, so nostalgia does play a small part, but I think I like it even more as an adult, where I more easily and fully comprehend all the in jokes and references.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I would say watch again sometime, (given your movie intake, that is unlikely, I know) I wouldn't go far as straight satire, it works convincingly as a horror movie, there are jump scares, and gore, red herrings, and how can a Scream fan not love the attack within a replica of Sidney's house in Woodsboro? It's only slightly sillier than the first two, realism is only going to go so far in a series like Scream.

The nods and laughs on the whole industry are as good as the ones from the first Scream, just about horror movies. It's truly a Hollywood/LA movie, the shots of the hills, the security guard who dresses down Dewey significantly (Dew Drop), the actor/actresses, even the casting couch/Weinstein dynamic is addressed, with the accused getting his throat slit (Final Cut) I think Scream 4 was the weakest of the series, and the only one I really didn't like very much.

Was it here I read that the script originally had the cop (Kinkaid) as the killer? Also, I did see in theaters at age 14, so nostalgia does play a small part, but I think I like it even more as an adult, where I more easily and fully comprehend all the in jokes and references.
We’re about the same age cause I saw it when it dropped in 2000 and I was 14. Didn’t like it then and didn’t like it on subsequent watches. Own it as part of this scream trilogy set I got from target a couple years ago for like $10.

I’ll watch it again and let you know what I think

cac poster

// ...
Daps
Reppin
Paris
We knowwwww... you don't like anything.
Why do you watch horror?
:francis::stopitslime:
Oh come on, we've been over this. I've loved horror and scifi since I was a kid watching Jeepers Creepers and MST3k on the sci-fi channel.

Is it a crime that I've become more discerning over the many years of watching anything that looked remotely interesting? :pachaha:

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Oh come on, we've been over this. I've loved horror and scifi since I was a kid watching Jeepers Creepers and MST3k on the sci-fi channel.

Is it a crime that I've become more discerning over the many years of watching anything that looked remotely interesting? :pachaha:
Every time I read your comments, your hating on a movie that I like.
:russ:
I’m joking with you.

cac poster

// ...
Daps
Reppin
Paris
This New Nightmare slander will not stand:ufdup:

Actually real shyt, why didn't you like it?

Eh, idk, just felt half-baked. I did like Englund's "character" though haha. I liked some parts, Craven's character talking about the ideology of keeping someone like Freddy in popular culture so that things like him can be more easily understood and acknowledged was enjoyable. It's always interesting when horror directors or directors of violent/controversial movies in general do a bit of self-analysis in their own work.

I'm a huge fan of the NOES series and that was just me tying up loose ends, since it was the last one I needed to watch. I thought the kid was annoying and the "new" freddy, once he actually appears in the hospital in the third act, was kinda boring. I guess I went in expecting something different from what I got, so perhaps I was a bit harsh