2020/End of Gen controversial opinions thread

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Because Gameplay >>>>>>>>>Story , however devs only have to put a fake deep/dark story with pretty graphics to get clout as gamers/media love to eat it up.

Eff The Witcher, LOU 1&2, Death Stranding and the like. Shout out to GoW, Sekiro, Ori, Titanfall 2 etc. I'm not against games having great stories and graphic, both are important, but unless it's a story driven game ala Detroit:BH, Telltale etc Gameplay should be prioritised imo. Even RPGs, while story driven, should have good/great game, the chasm between FFXV & FFVII remake as some evidence

My controversial take is that this gen, pound for pound, Indie/small budget titles significanltly surpassed AAAs. Discounting big hitters that truly hit the mark (Aforementioned Sekiro, GOW etc) most AAAs were derivative and uninspiring.

In comparison, games such as Shovel Knight, Ori , Rocket League, Cuphead, Harvest Moon Steamworld Dig, Alienation/Housemarque , the latest smash hit Fall Guys amongst many more brought a level of 'fun' that is often missing by the bland, derivative, lootbox infested world of AAA gaming.
TLOU 2 had great gameplay tho. The grizzly feel of shooting and melee'ing enemies was top notch.

In reality the narrative that there's all these games with great cinematic story telling that suffers in the gameplay department is false.

God of War, another story heavy game had some very satisfying gameplay.
Spider-Man, another very fun game which imo had better gameplay than say Akrham Asylum(which is a story game.)
FFVII R-A JRPG with really interesting gameplay that is also very good graphically.

The only game up there who's gameplay wasn't that great imo was The Witcher 3. Death Stranding was w/e to me. I'd say Red Dead Redemption 2's gameplay felt like running through molasses but I'm scared @Kairi Irving will scream at me :sad:

Black Bolt

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LDN
TLOU 2 had great gameplay tho. In reality the narrative that there's all these games with great cinematic story telling that suffers in the gameplay department is false. Almost

God of War, another story heavy game had some very satisfying gameplay.
Spider-Man, another very fun game which imo had better gameplay than say Akrham Asylum(which is a story game.)
FFVII R-A JRPG with really interesting gameplay that is also very good graphically.

The only game up there who's gameplay wasn't that great imo was The Witcher 3. Death Stranding was w/e to me. I'd say Red Dead Redemption 2's gameplay felt like running through molasses but I'm scared @Kairi Irving will scream at me :sad:
GOW, Spiderman , FFVII all had really enjoyable gameplay which allowed me to enjoy everything else (graphics, story etc).
LOU2 (meh gameplay) W3 , DS , RDR2 (:trash:) were snoozefests in comparison, all imho of course.
My arguement was that some larger studios have abadoned gameplay for the smoke & mirror that is story/visuals. The first group of games don't , the latter do (imo) , two of the latter are deemed to be generational games which is concerning if copycats follow suit.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Games like Spider-Man, RDR2, GOW, etc have “good” gameplay as in its serviceable and generally ok as a way to push the story forward.

But ultimately it’s shallow and not much of a challenge. Made for universal appeal.

Games like cuphead, rocket league, shovel knight, and in the AAA space, Dishonored, Titanfall sekiro, etc. The gameplay is unique and challenging. Games you can come back to almost indefinitely and play around with the gameplay learning new skills and trying out new strategies.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If these games put as much time into being fun as they did into trying to be super narrative driven we'd have a lot more fun AA and triple A games.

Now it's up to the Indies to do that....

One of the most fun AA games I played on ps2 was mark of the kri.

I think this is a reason why Nintendo still knocks it out the park with alot of games that aren't heavily story driven

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
GOW, Spiderman , FFVII all had really enjoyable gameplay which allowed me to enjoy everything else (graphics, story etc).
LOU2 (meh gameplay) W3 , DS , RDR2 (:trash:) were snoozefests in comparison, all imho of course.
My arguement was that some larger studios have abadoned gameplay for the smoke & mirror that is story/visuals. The first group of games don't , the latter do (imo) , two of the latter are deemed to be generational games which is concerning if copycats follow suit.

Games like Spider-Man, RDR2, GOW, etc have “good” gameplay as in its serviceable and generally ok as a way to push the story forward.

But ultimately it’s shallow and not much of a challenge. Made for universal appeal.

Games like cuphead, rocket league, shovel knight, and in the AAA space, Dishonored, Titanfall sekiro, etc. The gameplay is unique and challenging. Games you can come back to almost indefinitely and play around with the gameplay learning new skills and trying out new strategies.

My feeling exactly

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I disagree with TLOU 2 but RDR2 imo was boring. I also found GTA V's gameplay to be mildly bland.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

:mjlol:

Let's not breh. TITANFALL?? LMAO ain't nothing challenging about that game.

Give me God of War difficulty against a valkyrie queen is far from being "not challenging".

You probably played that ish on very easy mode :mjlol:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If these games put as much time into being fun as they did into trying to be super narrative driven we'd have a lot more fun AA and triple A games.

Now it's up to the Indies to do that....

One of the most fun AA games I played on ps2 was mark of the kri.

I think this is a reason why Nintendo still knocks it out the park with alot of games that aren't heavily story driven
Ratchet and Clank, Spider-Man, GoW, TLOU2, FFVII R were all AAA games that were just as fun to me and funner than shyt like Shovel Knight or Cuphead. I think people just unfairly lump all AAA games into one when making this distinction between fun games and AAA games. All AAA games aren't like Death Stranding and all indie games aren't these amazing bite sized games. Some of them are wack too.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
^^^

ya ratchet and clank was dope

to the point that it’s the game I’m most looking forward to next gen of all the games that have been announced so far

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Ratchet was a clear step back from the OG trilogy.

Graphics were good, but as with everything else they put most of their energy into visuals/cinematics.

It’s funny to see Sony stans like @surf now namedropping ratchet as it’s a 20 year old franchise,(that I’m a huge fan of) that was never regarded as high as Sony stans are now regarding it since Sony is marketing the PS5 with it.:mjlol:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
TF2 MP has the highest skill curve out of any shooter out...

edit: Agree with you on Ratchet & Clank as well, fun af with pretty graphics. New one on PS5 looks crazy, 1st day
I'd say Gears 5, Rainbow Six Siege, Overwatch and a few others have much higher skill curves.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
TF2 MP has the highest skill curve out of any shooter out...

edit: Agree with you on Ratchet & Clank as well, a lot of fun with pretty graphics. New one on PS5 looks crazy, 1st day

basically...more gameplay video on thurs.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
Because Gameplay >>>>>>>>>Story , however devs only have to put a fake deep/dark story with pretty graphics to get clout as gamers/media love to eat it up.

Eff The Witcher, LOU 1&2, Death Stranding and the like. Shout out to GoW, Sekiro, Ori, Titanfall 2 etc. I'm not against games having great stories and graphic, both are important, but unless it's a story driven game ala Detroit:BH, Telltale etc Gameplay should be prioritised imo. Even RPGs, while story driven, should have good/great game, the chasm between FFXV & FFVII remake as some evidence

My controversial take is that this gen, pound for pound, Indie/small budget titles significanltly surpassed AAAs. Discounting big hitters that truly hit the mark (Aforementioned Sekiro, GOW etc) most AAAs were derivative and uninspiring.

In comparison, games such as Shovel Knight, Ori , Rocket League, Cuphead, Harvest Moon Steamworld Dig, Alienation/Housemarque , the latest smash hit Fall Guys amongst many more brought a level of 'fun' that is often missing by the bland, derivative, lootbox infested world of AAA gaming.
Another controversial opinion is I never got the Witcher hype, the gameplay wasn’t fun and the difficulty spikes annoyed me early on.
All I saw was damned good art design laid over a.... confusing new direction for the franchise, an emphasis on out of place anime villain along with unfinished arcs labeled as ongoing narratives, RE5/6 style combat that forced you to fight the limits of that type of system, and RPG mechanics no one asked for.

I never thought GoW was a bad game. But the excitement for many of the things that it did never seemed to appear for other games that did similar things (or those that did them better).

GOW and it’s unnecessary “RPG” elements were forced, it’s not why I play GOW. I just want to rip people apart. Shadow of war was more GOW than god of war

while I’m at it. I hate cutscenes now, they happen too often and a lot of time poorly acted. I shouldn’t feel like skipping cutscenes in a new game. It’s like the devs throw them in just to qualify their game as “Aaa”

on and another thing. The outer worlds was a HUGE letdown. And not including mod support made it worse