2020/End of Gen controversial opinions thread

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
fortnite was the 2nd most fun MP I’ve played behind GTA online

I’d still be playing it if they made 50 v 50 a permanent mode

I suck at building...and some of the gimmicks are goofy/childish but at the heart of the game is a fun/intense shooter

also I like the incorporation of some pop culture elements...the infinity gauntlet shyt they did where you could play as thanos or one of the avengers was cool...so was the star wars shyt where you could use lightsabers...sometimes it’s not cool tho...ie using popular dance moves and not crediting the artists responsible for making them popular

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
fortnite was the 2nd most fun MP I’ve played behind GTA online

I’d still be playing it if they made 50 v 50 a permanent mode

I suck at building...and some of the gimmicks are goofy/childish but at the heart of the game is a fun/intense shooter

also I like the incorporation of some pop culture elements...the infinity gauntlet shyt they did where you could play as thanos or one of the avengers was cool...so was the star wars shyt where you could use lightsabers...sometimes it’s not cool tho...ie using popular dance moves and not crediting the artists responsible for making them popular
I actually played Fortnite for a good few months and got really good at it, it was after the game become really well known but before It became the world wide phenomenon, I’m talking vanilla as fukk, before they added Tilted Towers and all of the wacky shyt

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I actually played Fortnite for a good few months and got really good at it, it was after the game become really well known but before It became the world wide phenomenon, I’m talking vanilla as fukk, before they added Tilted Towers and all of the wacky shyt

I got my first kill sniping a dude in a building in tilted towers...he was rummaging for shyt in a room then found some blue potion and started to take it...got a clean headshot thru the window from an adjacent hilltop :banderas:

Black Bolt

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I also think games nowadays try super hard to make you "feel something" or have a message or be super deep or introspective and just aren't as fun as back in the day when games usually tried to be fun 1st and tell a story second unless it was a rpg or something.
Because Gameplay >>>>>>>>>Story , however devs only have to put a fake deep/dark story with pretty graphics to get clout as gamers/media love to eat it up.

Eff The Witcher, LOU 1&2, Death Stranding and the like. Shout out to GoW, Sekiro, Ori, Titanfall 2 etc. I'm not against games having great stories and graphic, both are important, but unless it's a story driven game ala Detroit:BH, Telltale etc Gameplay should be prioritised imo. Even RPGs, while story driven, should have good/great game, the chasm between FFXV & FFVII remake as some evidence

My controversial take is that this gen, pound for pound, Indie/small budget titles significanltly surpassed AAAs. Discounting big hitters that truly hit the mark (Aforementioned Sekiro, GOW etc) most AAAs were derivative and uninspiring.

In comparison, games such as Shovel Knight, Ori , Rocket League, Cuphead, Harvest Moon Steamworld Dig, Alienation/Housemarque , the latest smash hit Fall Guys amongst many more brought a level of 'fun' that is often missing by the bland, derivative, lootbox infested world of AAA gaming.

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Because Gameplay >>>>>>>>>Story , however devs only have to put a fake deep/dark story with pretty graphics to get clout as gamers/media love to eat it up.

Eff The Witcher, LOU 1&2, Death Stranding and the like. Shout out to GoW, Sekiro, Ori, Titanfall 2 etc. I'm not against games having great stories and graphic, both are important, but unless it's a story driven game ala Detroit:BH, Telltale etc Gameplay should be prioritised imo. Even RPGs, while story driven, should have good/great game, the chasm between FFXV & FFVII remake as some evidence

My controversial take is that this gen, pound for pound, Indie/small budget titles significanltly surpassed AAAs. Discounting big hitters that truly hit the mark (Aforementioned Sekiro, GOW etc) most AAAs were derivative and uninspiring.

In comparison, games such as Shovel Knight, Ori , Rocket League, Cuphead, Harvest Moon Steamworld Dig, Alienation/Housemarque , the latest smash hit Fall Guys amongst many more brought a level of 'fun' that is often missing by the bland, derivative, lootbox infested world of AAA gaming.
Gameplay on all of those games, especially TLOU2 was good/fun tho?

Not including DS cos I never played it

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
*clenches fist*

actually lemme just give my hot take instead

I sincerely believe it’s the best game ever. EVER.

best summary I seen of this game in one line is “it’s the reason why people play video games”

well sir, it just so happens I am going away to the middle of nowhere, for two weeks, and I have my switch with me.

got astral chain and BOTW loaded on it so I’m sure I’ll get to give one of them an honest shake.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
well sir, it just so happens I am going away to the middle of nowhere, for two weeks, and I have my switch with me.

got astral chain and BOTW loaded on it so I’m sure I’ll get to give one of them an honest shake.

I haven’t fully gotten into astral chain...played it a bit and got sidetracked by another game (forgot which other game(s) dropped at the time)...have only heard great things about it tho

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I got to play God of War early and wasn't feeling it from the jump. Think I might have all of one post in that thread.
I haven’t fully gotten into astral chain...played it a bit and got sidetracked by another game (forgot which other game(s) dropped at the time)...have only heard great things about it tho
Its dope. Bayonetta-lite

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
GOW had a great story, great lore and Interesting characters, looked great, along with probably the best combat in a game, to each their own tho
All I saw was damned good art design laid over a.... confusing new direction for the franchise, an emphasis on out of place anime villain along with unfinished arcs labeled as ongoing narratives, RE5/6 style combat that forced you to fight the limits of that type of system, and RPG mechanics no one asked for.

I never thought GoW was a bad game. But the excitement for many of the things that it did never seemed to appear for other games that did similar things (or those that did them better).

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
GOW had a great story, great lore and Interesting characters, looked great, along with probably the best combat in a game, to each their own tho

Yeah gow hit all the marks.

I love how combat matured from straight up button mashing to a bit more skilled base.

The lore was great, character development great, world building great, graphics great....

Definitely worth me of the best games this generation