15 Years Ago...No Country for Old Men was released

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
damn…straight up forgot llewelyn died…musta been a minute since I seen this to forget such an important detail

*edit*

damn this movie is 16 years old??? :ohhh:

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I definitely didn’t appreciate how central to the movie tommy lee jone’s character was the first time I watched this which might’ve explained my original disappointment with the ending…or at least I think I remember not liking the ending…I feel like anton’s car crash was a bit too “distracting”…would’ve been more poignant imo if he just simply got away but idk…I guess maybe they wanted to leave the viewers with some “hope” that maybe the police eventually caught him…I’ll hit google and see if there’s any specific reason for including that accident or if it was just meant to be completely random…great movie…glad I rewatched it…enjoyed it more as an “old” man lol

*edit*

I’m seeing a lot of “answers” regarding the significance of the crash but many of them feel forced…I’ll chalk it up as a “random” scene open to interpretation…maybe the writer(s) simply thought it’d be ironic to give him some sort of “poetic justice”…sometimes it can be unnerving when the bad guy just simply gets away…I remember feeling that way about the ending of “the counselor”

Last edited:
Daps
It was too slow of a burn for me when I watched it, I was also younger and less cultured so I may have to watch this again with a more refined lense... :jbhmm:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
I still dont like the ending because i thought something would have happened to anton.:scust: i literally thought the sheriff was gonna catch him at the end but it was like a totally different story and i was like :mindblown: WTF happened wtf is going on??? He killed all those people and no one saw nothing???

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
"His name's Chigurh."
"Sugar?"

It's a classic I've seen it a couple times now and still think the movie could've ended after the car crash.

that cracked me the fukk up!

I think the villain simply riding/driving off into the sunset (no crash) would’ve been a great ending that fit into the story while adding a huge sense of twisted irony…idk if it’s an ending movie audiences could’ve handled tho including myself

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The Road, The Counselor, No Country we’re all good adaptations

I wanna rewatch “the road” too…I had no idea “the counselor” and “no country for old men” were books written by the same author…interesting to learn since the ending for this kind of reminded me of the ending for the counselor due to the bad guy “winning” at the end…I think that’s why the car crash was necessary…it allowed me to process the bad guy getting away a little bit better…with the counselor it bothered me a bit that she got away completely unscathed…granted that’s the reality of it at times but for movie watching purposes it didn’t leave me with a good feeling

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
glad I rewatched this…way more impactful coming on the tail end of a personal midlife crisis (I used to think that shyt was a joke regarding sports cars and toupees but that shyt can really hit you at a certain age/event in your life for those who haven’t experienced it)…I remember a lot of the action from when I first watched this flick but the message(s) will stick with me a lot longer now…gonna be reflecting on this movie for a while

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Perfect film IMO. Also one of the best theater experiences I've had. Never seen a film hold an audience hostage like that. The violence was at such a level that you could tell people were on edge, to the point people let out a sigh of relief during this scene:
JhuJx3K.gif

There was audible relief that folks didn't have to actually SEE that.

I think the ending was brilliant, and ties perfectly into the beginning. It's really summed up by the convo with the cousin:

The sheriff realizes he's no match for the world or the heights of violence/evil he's up against. In the dream where he said he lost some money he was given, it's like he acknowledges he failed. And his reward isn't to be with his father, at the end of the road/life. It's to wake up, still in this new world he cannot comprehend, and wait his time while reliving his failure and watching things get worse.

Studious one

Change names, like change clothes; stay a fly girl
Daps
Great, great movie. I loooove the gas station scene (what time do you close, lol) and when he was talking to the fat lady. He was about to fukk her up before he heard that toilet flush. Gotta check out there will be blood.

Studious one

Change names, like change clothes; stay a fly girl
Daps
I'll add on to the praise of this film by saying that this was Roger Deakins best cinematography IMO.

For some stupid reason, they used to only release the Oscar season films in a theater that was 30 miles away from my house, so I'd have to wait until they dropped at the video rental place in the grocery store that I worked at. However, this film blew up and gained popularity so much, they eventually put it on at the Pinnacle, so I actually got to see it in theaters.

My favorite scene is the one posted above where Bell (TLJ) returns to the hotel that Moss was killed at and basically confronts his fears as Chigurh is treated and seen as a boogeyman. I have so many theories on that scene and have read many others. Some people think it's an out of sequence shot or Anton is in another room. Some people think Anton was in the room behind the door (which Bell did not check like a seasoned officer should) and he exited when Bell went into the bathroom. Some people think Anton caught Bell (off camera) and gave him the coin toss which Bell won but the experience left him so unnerved that he retired shortly after the confrontation. Some people even think Bell and Anton Chigurh are one in the same. So many theories and all could be plausible.

I guess if you couldn't tell, I really like this film.

Yeah, that scene does mess with your head. I remember waiting with bated breath to see if they finally get to “meet”… dammit, I’ve seen this movie so many times I know most of the words, and now I want to watch it again

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
woody harrelson’s character’s arrogance still cracks me up :mjlol:

Yeah, and you know he'd be like that in real life too. Imagine being an elite hitman who had survived to that age, especially one who had seen the other legendary hitman and lived to tell it. After the shyt you'd been through, you'd think you were a god, you were untouchable. In reality so much is just luck and you can always get got, but you create these narratives about yourself that seem true until they're not.

Him trying to talk his way out of it with fukking Anton is :mjlol: . Should have just made a dash for it before you ever got there, come on now.