15 Years Ago...No Country for Old Men was released

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
You know what still haunts me? Knowing that Chigurh could have killed that guy in the gas station at any time but chose not to on a whim. That guy had NO idea he was standing in front of a killer.

Tommy Lee Jones character coming to grips with how crazy the world has gotten is another.

Such a great movie all around.
That was not the point at all. All throughout the movie he thought that, but the talk with his family member was about how shyt was always real and not some idyllic fantasy. People always talk about "back in my days" like there were no problems at the same level or even worse.

Last edited:

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
I don't think I've seen it since, but it's one of those movies where I don't remember wtf that plot was. Just how riveting the performance was.
Hamtonio Banderas was bonechilling :wow: Definitely a top 5 performance I've ever seen

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I saw this in theaters in 2007, and that's a good point that it felt like the end of an era, in retrospect, though I have consistently gone to movies since. It felt like the world was still going to movies in 2007, sold out Friday nights, and it felt more connected to the world.

At the time, I only liked it, I remember liking Gone Baby Gone better, I have seen it at least once since, and it's a great movie, if, at times The Coens adaptation of Cormac Maccarthy's script is too slow, and too languid. I think I liked The Counselor better too, which also has a McCarthy script, but felt more alive, with an excellent Bardem performance also. But, that may be the immature opinion of a 22 year old, as opposed to me at 37.

downtheline

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in the DMV
I saw this in theaters in 2007, and that's a good point that it felt like the end of an era, in retrospect, though I have consistently gone to movies since. It felt like the world was still going to movies in 2007, sold out Friday nights, and it felt more connected to the world.

At the time, I only liked it, I remember liking Gone Baby Gone better, I have seen it at least once since, and it's a great movie, if, at times The Coens adaptation of Cormac Maccarthy's script is too slow, and too languid. I think I liked The Counselor better too, which also has a McCarthy script, but felt more alive, with an excellent Bardem performance also. But, that may be the immature opinion of a 22 year old, as opposed to me at 37.
His books are written in such a way, that making an adaptation can be hit or miss

The Road, The Counselor, No Country we’re all good adaptations

Blood Meridian however, should never be made into a film. It’s one of those books you can read maybe once and leave it be

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
I'll add on to the praise of this film by saying that this was Roger Deakins best cinematography IMO.

For some stupid reason, they used to only release the Oscar season films in a theater that was 30 miles away from my house, so I'd have to wait until they dropped at the video rental place in the grocery store that I worked at. However, this film blew up and gained popularity so much, they eventually put it on at the Pinnacle, so I actually got to see it in theaters.

My favorite scene is the one posted above where Bell (TLJ) returns to the hotel that Moss was killed at and basically confronts his fears as Chigurh is treated and seen as a boogeyman. I have so many theories on that scene and have read many others. Some people think it's an out of sequence shot or Anton is in another room. Some people think Anton was in the room behind the door (which Bell did not check like a seasoned officer should) and he exited when Bell went into the bathroom. Some people think Anton caught Bell (off camera) and gave him the coin toss which Bell won but the experience left him so unnerved that he retired shortly after the confrontation. Some people even think Bell and Anton Chigurh are one in the same. So many theories and all could be plausible.

I guess if you couldn't tell, I really like this film.

Last edited:

Cloutius Maximus

with the aid of the Funk...
Daps
Reppin
Altadena, California
His books are written in such a way, that making an adaptation can be hit or miss

Blood Meridian however, should never be made into a film. It’s one of those books you can read maybe once and leave it be

i remember when James Franco was supposed to make a Blood Meridian film :mjlol:

A movie adaption would be NC-17 for sure. I could see Josh Brolin as Judge Holden

downtheline

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in the DMV
i remember when James Franco was supposed to make a Blood Meridian film :mjlol:

A movie adaption would be NC-17 for sure. I could see Josh Brolin as Judge Holden
He put out some test footage, fortunately you can't really find it anymore. Just shows how pompous he was. Make a movie about scalping Indians, genocide, racism, and the Devil to top it off.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]

I really need to finish this. Based on what I have read so far, I 100% agree. An adaptation is going to happen at some point though, and whoever directs it will have their work cut out for them.

Coens are probably the only ones I would trust with it, and maybe even PTA.

Bone Tomahawk and The Proposition immediately come to mind as western films that did not shy away with its brutality, so an adaptation could get away with the violence. It’s the overbearing racism and dehumanization in the story that makes me skeptical of it turning out worthwhile.