15 Years Ago...No Country for Old Men was released

downtheline

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in the DMV
I really need to finish this. Based on what I have read so far, I 100% agree. An adaptation is going to happen at some point though, and whoever directs it will have their work cut out for them.

Coens are probably the only ones I would trust with it, and maybe even PTA.

Bone Tomahawk and The Proposition immediately come to mind as western films that did not shy away with its brutality, so an adaptation could get away with the violence. It’s the overbearing racism and dehumanization in the story that makes me skeptical of it turning out worthwhile.
I read a review, that the way Cirmac wrote the book was “Biblical like”. I’m not being blasphemous in any way, but you can see the similarities.

I blasted through it the first time, but the second time really opened up how complex his writing is. There are so many layers to it.

Yea, it’s one of those books that take up space in your head. Tough read, but it finds its groove real quick

Great point on the story being worthwhile due too the themes. Anyone who can pull that off faithfully deserved very accolade under the sun.

The woke crowd would collectively shyt their pants and have a stroke simultaneously

Kuro

Tru grit
Daps
2007 was the best year for movies i can remember

No country for old men
Zodiac
I am legend
Mr brooks
Fracture
Talk to me
Michael clayton
Knocked up
Super bad
In the valley of elah
The mist
Eastern promises
American Gangster

Im probably forgetting shyt

Last edited:

The_Hillsta

Neva missin a beat
Daps
"Said he knew he was going to hell, be there in a about 15 minutes."

"I didnt know what to make of that":bryan:

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
No Country For Old Men
Zodiac
I Am Legend
Michael Clayton
American Gangster
Gone Baby Gone
There Will Be Blood

I saw a lot of movies in 2007, but yes, these are probably the best ones. Vacancy was another I liked. There was a Shoot Em Up with Paul Gimatti too.

I was doing 18 months in a halfway house at the time, and so for me, to get out and go see a movie downtown on a Friday night, by myself, or in the middle of the day was a substantial source of pleasure and hope in a sense, to go a little over the top. I felt like myself in those dark theaters. Gone Baby Gone was probably my favorite, because I had no expectation, no preview, just showed up based on a review or a promo poster, and it floored me. That was Affleck's debut as a director.

Last edited:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I really need to finish this. Based on what I have read so far, I 100% agree. An adaptation is going to happen at some point though, and whoever directs it will have their work cut out for them.

Coens are probably the only ones I would trust with it, and maybe even PTA.

Bone Tomahawk and The Proposition immediately come to mind as western films that did not shy away with its brutality, so an adaptation could get away with the violence. It’s the overbearing racism and dehumanization in the story that makes me skeptical of it turning out worthwhile.

Oh lord.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
it's a great movie, if, at times The Coens adaptation of Cormac Maccarthy's script is too slow, and too languid. I think I liked The Counselor better too, which also has a McCarthy script, but felt more alive, with an excellent Bardem performance also. But, that may be the immature opinion of a 22 year old, as opposed to me at 37.

Honestly, I liked the movie better than the book, and this is as someone who really likes Cormac McCarthy's writing style. But I feel that the movie really tightened up the story in a sense, did a perfect job of choosing what to leave in. And I loved the pacing.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
You know what still haunts me? Knowing that Chigurh could have killed that guy in the gas station at any time but chose not to on a whim. That guy had NO idea he was standing in front of a killer.

Nah, I think he did. He knew something was seriously wrong with that dude and his life might be on the line. Maybe not at the beginning of the interaction, but by the end he was damn shook.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Lots of comparisons to There Will Be Blood in this thread but honestly, I didn't think TWBB was on the same level. Acting and cinematography were top-notch but the writing was canned and characters were superficial as fukk. Movie was oscar bait but it didn't make you think the way No Country for Old Men does.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Honestly, I liked the movie better than the book, and this is as someone who really likes Cormac McCarthy's writing style. But I feel that the movie really tightened up the story in a sense, did a perfect job of choosing what to leave in. And I loved the pacing.

Having watched this again recently, some of this was just me being younger, was 21 when i saw it, and less able to appreciate different things about movies, other than the plot.

years of loving movies has made it possible for me to watch them again, with a different eye, for the foreshadowing, the visuals, the acting, the writing.