13 Reasons Why - Season 1 Official Thread

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Counselors, teachers, administrators, pretty much any adult working at a school are usually required to report any accusations of abuse of a child (be it at home or from other students). There's really no excuse for him not reporting that.

Of all the things on those tapes, that's gonna be what really wins the lawsuit for Hanna's parents.

When did she explicitly state that something happened...? She implied something and then retracted, that's not an accusation

Daps
When did she explicitly state that something happened...? She implied something and then retracted, that's not an accusation

He asked "Did he force himself on you?" And she responded "maybe". At that point it HAS to be reported. He may think it's nothing, but in your own words, he's not a psychiatrist, and he's certainly not law enforcement, so that's not his call to make. His duty is to report this up the proper channels. This was after she angrily denied that she made a decision that she now regrets. Coupled with that, she was crying in making statements about "needing life to stop."

And remember, she had the whole conversation with the counselor on tape. That conversation pretty much wins the lawsuit for Hannah's parents.

Family Man

Banned
Daps
He asked "Did he force himself on you?" And she responded "maybe". At that point it HAS to be reported. He may think it's nothing, but in your own words, he's not a psychiatrist, and he's certainly not law enforcement, so that's not his call to make. His duty is to report this up the proper channels. This was after she angrily denied that she made a decision that she now regrets. Coupled with that, she was crying in making statements about "needing life to stop."

And remember, she had the whole conversation with the counselor on tape. That conversation pretty much wins the lawsuit for Hannah's parents.
Yeah but was it a honest attempt by Hannah to get help? I don't think it was. If it was she wouldn't have gone there with a tape recorder. She went in there with her mind made up. She had already did 12 tapes and needed some material for the 13th one. She was going to kill herself regardless of what the counselor said or did.
It's just a lazy attempt by her and the show to try to shift the blame on the counselor.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
He asked "Did he force himself on you?" And she responded "maybe". At that point it HAS to be reported.

No it doesn't. Maybe is not an accusation of anything. Now, if I remember correctly, she retracted that immediately afterwards.... You can't go to any law enforcement agency, or even his superiors with a "maybe"

Daps
Yeah but was it a honest attempt by Hannah to get help? I don't think it was. If it was she wouldn't have gone there with a tape recorder. She went in there with her mind made up. She had already did 12 tapes and needed some material for the 13th one. She was going to kill herself regardless of what the counselor said or did.
It's just a lazy attempt by her and the show to try to shift the blame on the counselor.

Breh, that doesn't matter (Hannah was a POS, there's no disagreement there). We're talking about the responsibility of the counselor. Dealing with kids and a crime in rape that goes criminally underreported (rape) coupled with hints of suicide talks, you have to report that shyt. There is an official form in most school districts that must be filled out.

Daps
No it doesn't. Maybe is not an accusation of anything. Now, if I remember correctly, she retracted that immediately afterwards.... You can't go to any law enforcement agency, or even his superiors with a "maybe"

Discuss this with any educator you know, and I guarantee you they'll tell you they have to report it. Even if they don't know that anything happened. And reporting it doesn't necessarily mean calling the police, there are official protocols in place at schools for this stuff, mainly as a CYA....he didn't cover his or the school's ass.

I don't get why y'all are trying to argue otherwise (well really, I do), when Antoine Fisher knew he fukked up to. They even painted it as him being distracted by his home life (with the phone keep ringing)

lepard

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Breh, that doesn't matter (Hannah was a POS, there's no disagreement there). We're talking about the responsibility of the counselor. Dealing with kids and a crime in rape that goes criminally underreported (rape) coupled with hints of suicide talks, you have to report that shyt. There is an official form in most school districts that must be filled out.

He should've filled out a report, you're right.

Here's where my disconnect is... he fills out the report, she kills herself not two hours later. The report, although would've brought to light the rape and abuse from a fellow classmate, would've done nothing in regards to saving her life.

Hannah was certainly flawed, but I just can't get over how she seemed to make the wrong decision every single time. Additionally she did have a support system in her parents, although they were going through issues with their store, you can tell that they had an open door policy with her.

Mr210

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Discuss this with any educator you know, and I guarantee you they'll tell you they have to report it. Even if they don't know that anything happened. And reporting it doesn't necessarily mean calling the police, there are official protocols in place at schools for this stuff, mainly as a CYA....he didn't cover his or the school's ass.

I don't get why y'all are trying to argue otherwise (well really, I do), when Antoine Fisher knew he fukked up to. They even painted it as him being distracted by his home life (with the phone keep ringing)

Cosign this, his behavior in the present time makes it clear he knew he dropped the ball...At the same time she had made up her decision which is why she recorded the conversation

Daps
Reppin
NULL

Now see... you trying to turn fiction into reality... I'm coming from a real world standpoint.... and you're coming from a movie fan standpoint........... but I know why though..... :sas1:

Daps
He should've filled out a report, you're right.

Here's where my disconnect is... he fills out the report, she kills herself not two hours later. The report, although would've brought to light the rape and abuse from a fellow classmate, would've done nothing in regards to saving her life.

Hannah was certainly flawed, but I just can't get over how she seemed to make the wrong decision every single time. Additionally she did have a support system in her parents, although they were going through issues with their store, you can tell that they had an open door policy with her.

Agreed, it likely wouldn't have saved her life, it woulda just covered the he and the school's ass. What alas hurts him is I presume after she killed herself, I don't think he told anyone about their conversation (well maybe he did, cuz she was on his official calendar, so they knew they met), but he likely downplayed what was said. With that tape showing what was actually said, I can't believe he keeps his job.

MalikX

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Worldwide Entertainment
Porter should've filed the report and done more. He seemed to be disengaged from his job. I don't think he really helped any of the kids that came to see him all season. But Hanna wasn't really giving him much to work with. I'd say 25% goes to Hanna with 75% of the blame being on him. I would've been more forgiving of him because Hanna wasn't trying to give up any names or say anything but telling her to move on from rape is really foul. Dude needs to find a new career or take some more training courses because that was just the wrong thing to say. If you don't care about your students or at least fake like you care, you shouldn't be a counselor.