13 Reasons Why - Season 1 Official Thread

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Coming from someone who has been highly depressive and suicidal
What normal person is gonna kill themself cause of a tv show
Something has to have gone very amiss in your life/brain to go against your #1 human instinct
I think that's the point. A lot of the people that are susceptible to suicide are dealing with a mental illness or clinical depression or abuse or bullying. And for some reason, explicit details about suicide triggers something in them that compels them to emulate it.

I'm no psychologist so I won't even pretend as if I know why it happens. I'm just saying it does for whatever reason.

NotAnFBIagent

[redacted]
Daps
I think that's the point. A lot of the people that are susceptible to suicide are dealing with a mental illness or clinical depression or abuse or bullying. And for some reason, explicit details about suicide triggers something in them that compels them to emulate it.

I'm no psychologist so I won't even pretend as if I know why it happens. I'm just saying it does for whatever reason.
Exactly it was already there
It doesn't start or end with a tv show

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
@MrSlyyy Yes, spark the interest in suicide as an option. Not spark the abuse, depression, or bullying that they already deal with.

Last edited:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
May for some, but they would've already had issues to begin with
The parents lobbying against the show worrying about the wrong thing
It's not necessarily just parents, it's actual suicide prevention workers and health professionals that are wary of the show. They know that how you choose to depict suicide plays a part in resulting suicides. It's why reporters have training on how to depict suicide in their stories, because there are cases where reporting on a specific suicide led to spikes in that local area of similar suicides. Suicide prevention workers and mental health professionals want that same care put into a show that has become the most tweeted series of 2017, and has already become a phenomenon on tumblr and other teen heavy sites. Not romanticizing the suicide was one of the biggest worries, and I guess it's debatable if that concern was warranted.

South Paw

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CML
just finished this show is crazy

watching the suicide scene was rough, made me sick to my stomach to watch. and watching her parents find her had me :mjcry: I got 2 girls.

they shouldn't do a 2nd season though takes away from the message of it

on a side note, how clay gonna have fine ass sheri in his room and not get up in those guts? he lost for that one.

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
Just finished..
Man i had tears on the last episode.
It made me think twice about caring about peeps i usually brush off.

Show has 3 VERY important takeaways.

1) Care about people around you
2) Do not engage in life altering rumors
3) Two gay dads will likely make u gay too

MalikX

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Worldwide Entertainment
I'm starting to sympathize with Hannah more. I dated a girl just like her in school. She was a new transfer student and my ex who was a part of the popular crew hated her instantly and turned half the school against her. I went from being a semi-liked person to catching hate from everyone and being in fights/breaking up fights with my girl and other girls because the bullying shyt went too far. I usually defended her but, there was a time or two where I should've spoke up for her but, I didn't because I was tired of being a social pariah. So that dance scene made me feel bad because although Clay wasn't with Hannah, he should've spoke up when dude was talking crazy to her in front of everybody. Bullying is a problem and kids can be evil as hell. I wasn't even being bullied, my girl was by other girls but, I felt the stray bullets and the way lies and rumors are spread about you and how a few people deciding not to like you can reverberate through the entire school. I kinda forgot about that experience but, watching this show brought those memories back. Also, makes me feel bad for Hannah because that high school shyt is not that serious at all. Kids think high school is everything and it's not. That was years ago and I'm sure the girl I was with then is WAY over it but, Hannah let it get to her to the point of killing herself.