13 Reasons Why - Season 1 Official Thread

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
Sheri hitting the stop sign and not calling the police to report it or letting someone know it may have contributed to Jeff's accident is one of the reasons she killed herself, but Hannah was in the car, was the reason Sheri was distracted and she didn't tell anyone either.:dwillhuh:

I'm interested in how the second season plays out when more people hear the tapes, when the public becomes aware of the contents.

Jess' pops gonna lose his shyt when he finds out Hannah watched his daughter get raped and didn't tell anyone.

Jeff's parents are gonna be upset that they buried their son thinking he was driving drunk when Sherri and Hannah knew the truth.
Hanna went to the store to call the police and she heard the crash. And she tried to tell clay but thought it was just another emotional rants that she always had

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I guess she wanted Sherri to make that choice herself. Jeff was already dead, it wasn't gonna bring him back
:manny:

It just seems that Hannah acted like she had no part in it and that it was Sherri's fault. Both were in the car, both knew what happened, neither told anyone what went down.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Saw on the news this morning. Parents think the show is romanticizing suicide...:snoop:
Eh :patrice:

Even groups dealing with suicide prevention are speaking out

This Is Why People Are Saying '13 Reasons Why' Is A Dangerous Show

Kristen Douglas, a spokesperson for Australian youth mental health organisation Headspace, told BuzzFeed that the framing device of Hannah’s “reasons” is harmful and unrealistic. “She’s telling the story in a way that means she’s getting resolution about her suicide, and that’s not a reality. If young people die by suicide it’s very final; you don’t get to see the reaction of people, you don’t get to see the reaction of bullies, you don’t get to be involved in your own funeral. Sadly, I think young people sometimes don’t always fully understand the finality of death. You don’t get resolution about that.”

While Selena Gomez, who is an executive producer on the series, revealed in the show’s behind-the-scenes special, Beyond the Reasons, that she wanted to adapt 13 Reasons Why to help people, “because suicide should never be an option”, Douglas explained that the show actually risks suggesting the opposite.

“If you’re a young person viewing this content, feeling entrapped, bullied, like things aren’t going to get better, like, ‘I wish I could tell these people to stop, they don’t know how far they’re pushing me’… this all of a sudden becomes a very real option,” she said.

Aside from the plot itself, experts claim the show also puts people at risk through its incredibly graphic and drawn-out depiction of the act of suicide (there are also multiple graphic rape scenes). The creators of the show have repeatedly defended this decision, saying that it was intended to make people uncomfortable and to show the painful and irreversible consequences of suicide.
While their intentions are good, there’s a major issue with their reasoning: Multiple studies from around the world have shown that explicit depictions and descriptions of suicide actually increase the rate of suicide by that method (though most of these studies focused on media reporting of suicides, not fictional plotlines).

“Children and teens are very exposed to things like contagion and high risk if they see another person’s suicide,” Douglas told BuzzFeed. “It’s why we have a whole range of guidelines for media in Australia, but sadly things like Netflix don’t apply the same guidelines.”

Mr210

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I would love to know what they think are better ways to educate people on suicide....And again I wonder if any of these people have actually watched it

verbalkint

I see you niccas...
Daps
Reppin
Queens
I would love to know what they think are better ways to educate people on suicide....And again I wonder if any of these people have actually watched it
article-0-1A2B262D00000578-237_308x185.jpg

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
I'm positive this show will spark the interest for many teens to commit suicide. Copycat suicide is a real thing. And 13 Reasons does romanticize it in many ways - mainly getting revenge on those who have wronged you, Hannah "living on" through her tapes, literally as a character and narrator of the show, and being able to become the center of attention. For some kids, this may sound appealing to them.

They just might choose something other than slitting their wrist:francis:

Daps
Going back, Hannah killing herself was weak. She got raped and could've went to the police, fukk that. Her bugging about the Asian dude not sending her cartoon pictures was a cry for mental help. She was extremely weak.

Mr210

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm positive this show will spark the interest for many teens to commit suicide. Copycat suicide is a real thing. And 13 Reasons does romanticize it in many ways - mainly getting revenge on those who have wronged you, Hannah "living on" through her tapes, literally as a character and narrator of the show, and being able to become the center of attention. For some kids, this may sound appealing to them.

They just might choose something other than slitting their wrist:francis:

Well if they choose that over wanting to live that's up to them