13 Reasons Why - Season 1 Official Thread

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
lets just assume the counselor could be held liable, what hannah did was still malicious in intent. if she could record 13 detailed tapes pointing out where her victims went wrong. she could have taken those same tapes ot a police department to explain her sexual assault.

and all this series did was make me want to see a live adaptation of life is strange

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Smh at counselor sympathizers

she made up her mind to kill herself before the counselor even stepped into the picture, which is why he was the very last tape. my thing is this, lets say the counselor did his job and reported it. i've watched enough svu to know she would have to detail her sexual assault and face her attacker in a court of law. would she have subjected herself to that treatment? or would she have made a tape about the cop, who is forced to ask her hard hitting questions. her lawyer, who may lose the case. bryces lawyer, who will most certainly re-traumatize her. potentially the judge, depending on his decision and how he looked at the chick--then still killed herself

Last edited:

StickStickly

Superstar
Daps
Smh at counselor sympathizers
there's a lot of red tape in that profession.

Unless she comes to the office and tells the counselor "I'm going to kill my self right now" he has no power to do anything.

Maybe the only thing he could have done was break confidentiality and tell her parents about the sexual assault BUT

Since she didn't suggest at anything, he can't report anything to the cops or her parents. Counselors therapists and psychiatrists aren't magical psychics. They can only go off self report from their patients and even then the only way to get psychiatric hold on someone (observed in a lock down psychiatric unit) is for there to be intent and means in the moment. He can't do anything emergent for someone who may do it in the future. But if that person refuses to talk, there's literally nothing to do. All he could have done is report the assault, which he's required to do. But without a name his hands are kind of tied. They'd have to open an investigation. Hannah killed herself before any of this had time to occur. I can understand how the thought of keeping quiet AND going to trial could trigger Hannah.

StickStickly

Superstar
Daps
she made up her mind to kill herself before the counselor even stepped into the picture, which is why he was the very last tape. my thing is this, lets say the counselor did his job and reported it. i've watched enough svu to know she would have to detail her sexual assault and face her attacker in a court of law. would she have subjected herself to that treatment? or would she have made a tape about the cop, who is forced to ask her hard hitting questions. her lawyer, who may lose the case. bryces lawyer, who will most certainly re-traumatize her. potentially the judge, depending on his decision and how he looked at the chick--then still killed herself
This.

This is the hard thing about teens and people who blame others. Unless you roll on the floor and lick their feet they think you're trying to hurt them. Even the boy who liked her got blamed because he didnt talk to her and confess his love? What about his own damn anxieties? It just seems like everyone was alive to exist for Hannah instead of her realizing other people go through shyt too. But that's the tragedy of the teenage brain. They are unwittingly narcissistic. There is no other world outside their own. It's how they're designed. The problem for adults is learning how to communicate with them with this truth in mind.

However I can understand the rape triggering her suicide and the fact that every problem is very big and real in the teenage mind. Lots of kids get suicidal over relationships and break ups. There's just a disconnect between how she blames others for petty things and the fact that there was a real trauma in her past. Her tape could have just been one.