1 year in, what happened to the PS5 SSD hype?????

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
And Eurogamer conflated the two terms, but it was basically a misnomer.

Bandwidth is at a premium in the Xbox One owing to the slower DDR3 memory employed in the console, which does not compare favourably to the 8GB unified pool of GDDR5 in the PlayStation 4. The 32MB of "embedded static RAM" within the Xbox One processor aims to make up the difference, and was previously thought to sustain a peak theoretical throughput of 102GB/s - useful, but still some way behind the 176GB/s found in PlayStation 4's RAM set-up.

Here they use the terms interchangeably. But the terms are not interchangeable. They have very distinct differences. Most importantly one is “theoretical” the other is a measurement. “Peak THEORETICAL throughput” is a misnomer as you can’t have a “theoretical” measurement.

PS4 ram speed was always advertised and talked about in terms of Bandwidth.

Sony promised around 176GB/s of memory bandwidth for the PS4

Same for Xbox

so the GPU is the only thing that can see this memory.
And what it does is that it gives you very very high bandwidth output

Sony’s approach with the PS4 SoC was to use a 256-bit wide GDDR5 memory interface running somewhere around a 5.5GHz datarate, delivering peak memory bandwidth of 176GB/s.[/I]

It’s all bandwidth bandwidth bandwidth. No mention of throughput

Eurogamer inexplicably threw in the term throughput on their on volition.

When the terms I/O or throughput are used. They are always talking about storage

• Memory Bandwidth: 448GB/s
  • Internal Storage: Custom 825GB SSD
  • IO Throughput: 5.5GB/s (Raw), Typical 8-9GB/s (Compressed)
Memory is always rated based on Bandwidth.

Storage is rated based on IO and or Throughput.

Last edited:

boriquaking

In Sauce We Trust!
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Big Gete Star
I recently put my original Xbox One in the bedroom so I can watch Netflix. I also installed Uno. That shyt was so slow and laggy I was actually insulted :picard:. I tried the same thing with my PS4 Pro and it was worse:picard:. Compare that to the snappiness of the XSX and PS5 and I’ll never doubt the SSDs capability again
I turned on my ps4 by mistake the other day :scusthov:

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Hold up. I know taco bell sells doritos tacos, you can buy the shells in store too?

91d8rVeL3XL.jpg

Looks like its taco Tuesday this week :whoo: