Zoe Saldana: There Is No Such Thing As People Of Color

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Race will always be an issue, no matter what people think. "They want it be one way, but its the other way."

I am a college graduate with multiple degrees, who was at Hallmark Cards Inc. My education and skill set didn't prevent an old white lady coworker from calling me a "sambo" 3 times in 3 months. Do you think I consider myself a "sambo?"

The funny thing is, they forced her to retire but she still gets money, what happened to me? I got laid off. So now Hallmark and I are going to go to mediation in order to sort this out.

Said all of that to say that it doesn't matter how you see yourself because whether you're Chief Keef or the Commander in Chief, you will still be seen as nothing but a n1gger, c00n or sambo to some people. You can't control other people's belief or perception of you.

They don't hear you though.

Gravity

Banned
Daps
I like this thread.

Maybe it's based on my own biases and viewpoints, but I interpreted what she said as she doesn't want what she does to be defined by the colour of her skin--to be put into a box of identity so to speak, based on her skin colour. I think that's a healthy way of being. I also don't think that that viewpoint and being proud of being black necessarily have to exist apart from one another.

Why can't someone be proud of being black, but not want to be defined by it primarily (specifically the negative stereotypes given to us by a racist society that we sometimes feel we need to identify with)?
I find interesting arguments on both sides in this debate...and I'm struggling to find where I stand.

Hmmm...
You can't be proud to be black while perpetuating the negative stereotype of what it means to be black at the same time. When people claim that they don't want to be defined as black in fear of being associated with the neagtive stereotypes, they're low-key giving credence to and perpetuating those negative stereotypes. It's basically like saying "I'm black but I'm not a typical ******. I'm one of the good ones". There is no box that black people fit in and we need to stop buying into that hype. Again, that whole "I don't want to be defined by my skin color" rhetoric is nothing but passive aggressive c00ning. Comments like those come from people who have bought into the racist ideology of what being black is supposed to mean. Saldana can talk that shyt all she wants, but it's obvious that she has little to no pride in being black. She has more pride in being a woman than being black and is more sympathetic to the female-struggle than the black struggle. She's on that feminist bullshyt.

Gallo

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
she's right though :manny: stop being so obsessed with race and stop trying to make her wear her blackness on her sleeves, jesus.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
And I never disagreed with that. The conversation is about one's self-identity because that's what Zoe Saldana was speaking about.

Sure.

It means what it sounds like. You don't have to the right to tell anyone else how they should define themselves or feel about themself in regard to their race. It's pretty self-explanatory.
And when speaking about self-identity Zoe wants to reject race when her race is systematically pointed out and discriminated against in society. That I don't agree with, acknowledge and be proud of your race, anything less is self-defeating in my eyes.

I think I do have that right cause I did it. lol

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
she's right though :manny: stop being so obsessed with race and stop trying to make her wear her blackness on her sleeves, jesus.

Tell white supremists to stop first. Then we'll stop to. And she doesn't have to wear it on her sleeve it is smack in the middle of her face.

FreshABM

Dollaz make Sense $$ ABM Commas After My Commas
Daps
Reppin
ABM Headquarters The Flossy Life
Race will always be an issue, no matter what people think. "They want it be one way, but its the other way."

I am a college graduate with multiple degrees, who was at Hallmark Cards Inc. My education and skill set didn't prevent an old white lady coworker from calling me a "sambo" 3 times in 3 months. Do you think I consider myself a "sambo?"

The funny thing is, they forced her to retire but she still gets money, what happened to me? I got laid off. So now Hallmark and I are going to go to mediation in order to sort this out.

Said all of that to say that it doesn't matter how you see yourself because whether you're Chief Keef or the Commander in Chief, you will still be seen as nothing but a n1gger, c00n or sambo to some people. You can't control other people's belief or perception of you.

:ohhh:

:mindblown:

:salute:

@jayshiggs I hope you don't take that Von doom character seriously..

He might have a black mother....but clearly as you can see in Zoe you can be black and LOST

Plus...Sometimes it takes a Black MAN to teach a black son...only so much your mother can help you understand being that she's a woman...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
:ohhh:

:mindblown:

:salute:

@jayshiggs I hope you don't take that Von doom character seriously..

He might have a black mother....but clearly as you can see in Zoe you can be black and LOST

Plus...Sometimes it takes a Black MAN to teach a black son...only so much your mother can help you understand being that she's a woman...

Shut the fukk up clown.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gallo

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tell white supremists to stop first. Then we'll stop to. And she doesn't have to wear it on her sleeve it is smack in the middle of her face.

Stop worrying about white people. White supremacist have already won when you allow their behavior to effect your own perception and those of others like Saldana. They shouldn't be part of your equation you emotionally emo fakkit. Boohooo white people hurt my feelings and won't give me a minimum wage job :(. Fukk outta here.

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
And when speaking about self-identity Zoe wants to reject race when her race is systematically pointed out and discriminated against in society. That I don't agree with, acknowledge and be proud of your race, anything less is self-defeating in my eyes.

I think I do have that right cause I did it. lol

I think motherfukers are on pins and needles and jump on any deviation from the notm, there is nothing that Zoe said that suggest what you are saying she said

There is something wrong with rejecting race or accepting it when it's convenient but Zoe is not an example of that

FreshABM

Dollaz make Sense $$ ABM Commas After My Commas
Daps
Reppin
ABM Headquarters The Flossy Life

A white man trying to tell black people how to wear their "blackness"

:mindblown::mindblown::mindblown::mindblown::mindblown::mindblown:

:aicmon:

Does anybody try to tell you how to wear "whiteness"

These are the mindset of alot of white posters on the coli

Your on a sports website and hip hop site

Hip hop and sports are dominated by black ppl

Why the fucc you think your opinion or would even want to give your opinion on black affairs matters is :yeshrug:

Ignorant a$$holes like Gallo are a plain example of whats wrong in this world

You can't tell us to act like something doesn't exist THATS THERE you fuccing dumbass

This is what this clown said "White supremacist have already won when you allow their behavior to effect your own perception and those of others like Saldana."

Is he really this mentally challenged?? :snoop: White supremacist ACT OUT on their behavior either outright with violence ..or on the low with discrimination......I know that you aren't intelligent enough to understand how that would have a effect ..so I understand the stupidity in your post...

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Stop worrying about white people. White supremacist have already won when you allow their behavior to effect your own perception and those of others like Saldana. They shouldn't be part of your equation you emotionally emo fakkit. Boohooo white people hurt my feelings and won't give me a minimum wage job :(. Fukk outta here.

You're right about one thing white supremists have already won. lol
Who is getting emothinal me or you? Take your own advice.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I think motherfukers are on pins and needles and jump on any deviation from the notm, there is nothing that Zoe said that suggest what you are saying she said

There is something wrong with rejecting race or accepting it when it's convenient but Zoe is not an example of that

Maybe she phrased it wrong. Saying you don't see race is a blatant lie though. Say something like I treat people as individuals or something.

Gallo

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You're right about one thing white supremists have already won. lol
Who is getting emothinal me or you? Take your own advice.

They've definitely won with you. They beat you to the ground. Don't try to bring Zoe down with you. Leave her alone.