Yung Knickas Wildin|Draft Picks Stylin|Grimes n Mcbride Got Bball God's Smilin NYK Discussion Thread

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
I was more frustrated last night, thinking about how we didn't take a big swing. But when I slept on it and pieced it all together, I'm actually pretty happy. From a culture and playstyle standpoint, I'm really pleased with the direction of this team. A good free agency run could leave Leon and company with the depth of picks, cap, and players to make a superstar play AND have the pieces remaining to compete.
are the protections on the Hornets 1st a loss, or is that all you can expect at that number in the Draft.

i don't see the Hornets being a top 5 seed over the next couple years, but who knows.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
are the protections on the Hornets 1st a loss, or is that all you can expect at that number in the Draft.

i don't see the Hornets being a top 5 seed over the next couple years, but who knows.

I think it's a loss, especially considering 3 picks earlier OKC was able to get 2 firsts. But it's got upside if it gets pushed a year and we can use it in the first draft with HS players available. I think @RickyGQ nailed it in that the Knicks knew who they wanted and traded down as far as they could while being confident they'd still land Grimes. The return is weak, but it's better than picking Grimes at 21 for more salary and without a future pick involved.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
So is the goal to wait til the next free agent is available and give the max and who will be available that we can get?

I think the goal is gonna be to preserve enough cap to move on a max-level player, be it by trade or signing. Zach, Beal, Lillard...those types. Or maybe an unhappy Mitchell or Fox (massive long shots though). Put it this way, they could add a piece like Lonzo at around 20 (a little over) and then pick up some depth on 1 year deals (or 1+1 team option deals).

Or on the other hand, they could re-sign a couple of guys like Burks and Noel; do the same one year deal thing for others.

But either way, my main guess is that they don't spend too much long-term money this offseason (unless they pull something big beforehand). Then they could go over the cap to keep the core pieces that are already in place after they've finished pushing for a big final addition.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ

I genuinely don’t think it matters to them. Maybe that’s a mistake but they just want a pick they can trade. The headline will say “Knicks trade 5 firsts for player x” and that’s all the receiving team cares about sometimes when they have to sell it to their owner and fan base. Look at OKC. Most of those picks are shyt, only the real later year ones have real potential but all everyone talks about is “17 FIRST ROUNDERS”.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

Since I harped on pull-up jumpers seeming like a focal point this draft...here's a thread illustrating what I meant.

Can't speak on Rokas directly, but pull-up midrange is the first offensive weapon that gets referenced here.

And this thread is all about Grimes, but features some examples of his pull-up game too.

I can't say anything for certain...just seems like they had that skill in mind. All these guys can hit jumpers off the dribble consistently.

Last edited:

TOAD99

Veteran
Daps

IQ, Quentin and Zion :shaq:

200w.gif

IQ the recruiter... playing the long game:wow: