Yung Knickas Wildin|Draft Picks Stylin|Grimes n Mcbride Got Bball God's Smilin NYK Discussion Thread

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Knicks punked out on taking the best available to making weak ass trades to draft system role players who will be D leaguers. Hopefully we have a solid plan for free agency because we will probably lose Noel and Bullock. Another corny draft day for MSG.
I was high on Grimes, McBride, and Sims.

Grimes was #4 on my underrated list. Baller. High BBIQ, all around game. Danny Greenesque

Sims is JaVale McGee like. A lot more NBA ready than McGee was.

McBride for me was an defensive minded Reggie Jackson with less offensive pop but a better shooter and a lot more NBA ready than Jackson was out of BC.

I only seen the Lithuanian kid when he played Melo and that was so long ago. He was better than Melo at that time but Melo was clearly a superior talent.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Knicks did the right thing in this draft. There was nothing there to take. Wash your hands of a thin draft class and take a flier on a low risk prospect.

I’d have been happy if they got Kai Jones at 19 and still wound up with one of Grimes or McBride. But I also know Jones is a project that’d be stuck behind too many guys in our rotation to develop properly. Without a trade up, I take this draft.

The Grimes pick reminds me of Quickley last year. The guy they coveted got picked right before they went (maxey last year, Mann this year) so they pivoted and moved back to get their next target.

McBride’s defense and effort will win over fans and if his jumper checks out like it did last year then he has real value.

Idk the euro cat tbh. But Sims is a nice pick-up late. Monster athlete, big body, and high motor. He’s worth a flier and a role in the g-league to develop even if he’s not nba ready yet.

They got guys that play defense, shoot well, and don’t quit. Also…they got some of the better pull-up shooters at each option. Even the euro is supposed to have a nice midrange pull-up in his bag. Idk if that was purposeful but it’s a pattern across the picks besides sims.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Who we drafted? If it’s not a lottery pick, then I can give two shyts about the draft.

- We got two of the better perimeter defenders in the draft (both are good shooters as well). Grimes and McBride

- A euro that nobody really knows but who did drop 30 on lamelo once when they were teens. Rokas

- And a center that topped the Combine’s all-time jumping measurements (everyone else on the lists with him are around 6’5 and under). Sims

- We also added a lottery protected first round pick in next years draft and a second rounder in 2024.

- Finally, by moving around a bit we opened up an extra 3 million dollars in cap space. Not much but it’s something.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Obi, our 22 year old lottery pick from last year, could barely get any playing time. But now our off-season is ruined because we passed on 19th pick and didn't draft some guy with the 32nd :dead:
Right. We weren’t getting the pg of the future at 19 when teams don’t even know if they love Jalen Suggs in top 4. Sure we can take swings and see what sticks but we would have hated Kai Jones after his third straight game of blowing defensive assignments and playing 3 mins total. We have a decent enough young core and are in the hunt for stars and good free agents who can contribute. Let’s stay focused.

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
- We got two of the better perimeter defenders in the draft (both are good shooters as well). Grimes and McBride

- A euro that nobody really knows but who did drop 30 on lamelo once when they were teens. Rokas

- And a center that topped the Combine’s all-time jumping measurements (everyone else on the lists with him are around 6’5 and under). Sims

- We also added a lottery protected first round pick in next years draft and a second rounder in 2024.

- Finally, by moving around a bit we opened up an extra 3 million dollars in cap space. Not much but it’s something.
You’re the best. I was honestly coming in here hoping for a true recap because I didn’t know wtf happened.

Is it me or is either ESPN or the NBA not great at detailing in-Draft trade situations? I feel like the NFL Draft is clearer with it even though it moves a lot faster with a higher volume of picks.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Let’s trust this front office until they give us a reason not to. We know they’re the type to do whatever it takes to get their guy (IQ last year). So if there was someone in this draft they REALLY believed in, they’d have gotten him. Instead they got a kid was was top ten in his high school class that had a real bad freshman year at Kansas. He transferred and showed all the things he showed out of high school again. That shows a level of mental toughness and self confidence that isn’t often seen in kids his age. I can spend an hour or two listing the players that couldn’t do that and are playing in Canada or some C league in Europe right now. I’m willing to bet they had Grimes right under Duarte and traded back as far as they could without risking even an off chance of losing him (exactly like they did with Quickley last year).

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
You’re the best. I was honestly coming in here hoping for a true recap because I didn’t know wtf happened.

Is it me or is either ESPN or the NBA not great at detailing in-Draft trade situations? I feel like the NFL Draft is clearer with it even though it moves a lot faster with a higher volume of picks.
That was REALLY bad. I’m sure that’s something they fix next year cause even Woj didn’t know what some of these trades were.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Mine is too, he acts cool but the Bulls have been a mess the entire time he has been there. They are really trying this year but it might be too late.
The Bulls are a strong PG away from being better than us.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

I got you fam, always hype to add thoughts and politic with yall.

ESPN's coverage was abysmal imo. I watched on ESPN plus with KFTV on the side and I thought KFTV was doing a better job with half the discussions...especially since they focused on how different moves might impact the Knicks or create new trade/FA avenues for them. I was also pissed about how ESPN's website displayed the draft. I had trouble following trades and keeping track of who was moving where. It just feels like the draft coverage was weak all around this year for whatever reason, but i guess that's better for the independent content creators at least.

I was more frustrated last night, thinking about how we didn't take a big swing. But when I slept on it and pieced it all together, I'm actually pretty happy. From a culture and playstyle standpoint, I'm really pleased with the direction of this team. A good free agency run could leave Leon and company with the depth of picks, cap, and players to make a superstar play AND have the pieces remaining to compete.

Let’s trust this front office until they give us a reason not to. We know they’re the type to do whatever it takes to get their guy (IQ last year). So if there was someone in this draft they REALLY believed in, they’d have gotten him. Instead they got a kid was was top ten in his high school class that had a real bad freshman year at Kansas. He transferred and showed all the things he showed out of high school again. That shows a level of mental toughness and self confidence that isn’t often seen in kids his age. I can spend an hour or two listing the players that couldn’t do that and are playing in Canada or some C league in Europe right now. I’m willing to bet they had Grimes right under Duarte and traded back as far as they could without risking even an off chance of losing him (exactly like they did with Quickley last year).

Yeah, there are times where I'm not a big fan of a decision they make. But more often than not, I can understand the logic of the move and it winds up working out to some level. A lot of heads didn't want Derrick Rose; thought IQ was a reach; hated our FA strategy...the Knicks were the fourth seed anyway. It's earned some patience on my end to at least see where this stuff goes.

And I like that they seem to put a premium on character. They bring in high character kids that ought to create a good locker room and keep the work ethic high. I'm excited to see how RJ's growth continues and what Obi and IQ look like as sophomores.