Yung Knickas Wildin|Draft Picks Stylin|Grimes n Mcbride Got Bball God's Smilin NYK Discussion Thread

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
This is why I'm waiting to see what the price turns out to be. I'm skeptical of Sexton's value and think a lot of the rumors have been from Cleveland (maybe Sexton's camp if he wants out without saying so). He made sense to me from before the rumors dropped as a buy-low without losing much cap space candidate. Idk how often you can get a player under 25 that put up top-20 scoring in the league on efficient shooting numbers but it's gotta be a pretty rare occurrence.

Feels like heads really underestimate how bad the Cavs were and how hard it is to score that much at that efficiency for anybody.
The dude on the bank shot actually disagreed. He basically said in today’s nba, anybody can score 25 a game if given the opportunity to every night. Basically it’s not as special as it would be had this been 2010. Which i kinda agree with. Jerami Grant being a prime example of this.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Theirs a high chance he’s back since Thibs is the coach. Didn’t hear his exit interview, I’d like to hear what he said because I think he’s one of the knicks first priorities this off-season.

where’d you get rose city edition?:ohhh: I been looking for that shyt everywhere !

NBA Store - you can order a custom city edition and Rose is one of the premade configs, it did take 4 weeks to get to me

Ty-Fife

14k Gold Slum Computer Wizard
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I ain't a fan of Colin but if we could get him for scraps he'd be an improvement over Lfrid immediately. :francis:

The worst case scenario is shyt goes left and we watch everything go to shyt with him, RJ and Julius on the court, or since he actually has some talent around him along with Thibs, he steps his shyt up like what's happening with Booker actually playing with decent teammates. :manny:

shyt is literally a gamble :ld: :patrice:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
The dude on the bank shot actually disagreed. He basically said in today’s nba, anybody can score 25 a game if given the opportunity to every night. Basically it’s not as special as it would be had this been 2010. Which i kinda agree with. Jerami Grant being a prime example of this.

It's the efficiency that matters. I'd say anyone can hit 20 a night at this point, Grant was 22 ppg on 43%. But breaking 25 is not just a drop in the bucket (Sexton was in the top 20 for ppg) and doing it at 48% from the field as a guard is a much more difficult task.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
It's the efficiency that matters. I'd say anyone can hit 20 a night at this point, Grant was 22 ppg on 43%. But breaking 25 is not just a drop in the bucket (Sexton was in the top 20 for ppg) and doing it at 48% from the field as a guard is a much more difficult task.

Agreed. Word is, the rumors are coming from Sextons camp. Especially with the rumored teams being the Knicks and the Heat. Two ideal destinations for him. Apparently he loved Jimmy Butler and would love to play on NY.

seemorecizzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
sexton isnt worth a long term contract with the knicks regardless of how he plays for us next year (if we acquire him) he just isn't.

so unless you think hes worth 100 mil, is our pg of da future, and most importantly, can help lead us to a chip, then stop wasting the fanbases time
with these overpaid fill in's.:mjlol:

if da only options are sexton and schroder, just draft a pg and bring back rose

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Agreed. Word is, the rumors are coming from Sextons camp. Especially with the rumored teams being the Knicks and the Heat. Two ideal destinations for him. Apparently he loved Jimmy Butler and would love to play on NY.

It makes sense. He might not want to demand a trade openly but want pressure to get somewhere he likes. For what it’s worth, I talked to a friend that’s a lifelong Cavs fan (we shared backcourts from second grade to HS and still rock in a rec league to this day) and he refuses to believe the Cavs are dealing Sexton. He thinks all the rumors are overblown and he likes Sexton.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
sexton isnt worth a long term contract with the knicks regardless of how he plays for us next year (if we acquire him) he just isn't.

so unless you think hes worth 100 mil, is our pg of da future, and most importantly, can help lead us to a chip, then stop wasting the fanbases time

It’s cooper or Mann at our draft slot (possibly only cooper). I feel like I’m the only dude in this thread that’s high on Cooper.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ

he’s probably gonna get the 4/80 range. That’s not crazy in today’s landscape.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
It’s cooper or Mann at our draft slot (possibly only cooper). I feel like I’m the only dude in this thread that’s high on Cooper.

It’s nothing against Cooper, it’s a philosophy thing for me. We need to draft guys that can help us now or in a trade. And the only way they’ll do that is by playing. So I’m not a fan of drafting a project at 19, especially if he’s gonna be behind a minimum of 2 pgs, possibly 3.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
https://sny.tv/articles/knicks-trading-for-collin-sexton-impact-superstar-free-agent-pursuit

Begley confirms the Sexton interest and gets at what I've been trying to explain. A move for Sexton leaves enough cap space to add a max player which is why I asked about him even before the rumors started. This is a Brock Aller kinda play, bring in talent but keep flexibility for a bigger swing. Also...RJ approaching untouchable status, confirmed.

NYK HAS INTEREST
A source confirms that Sexton is among the players on the Knicks’ radar in the offseason. The Athletic reported the Knicks are the most aggressive suitor for Sexton. On Tuesday night, a source with knowledge of the dynamic said it was difficult to characterize which suitor was most aggressive in pursuing Sexton due to the nature of trade conversations leading up to the draft. But the source said New York had "legitimate" interest in dealing for Sexton.

Also worth noting: One team doing its homework on a possible Sexton trade believed Cleveland would like to get a veteran who can help the club win in return for the 22-year-old guard.

The Knicks can send young players and picks to the Cavs, but they don’t have a veteran on a multi-year contract for Cleveland.

WHAT ABOUT THE MONEY?
If the Knicks traded for Sexton, they could sign him to an extension prior to the 2021-22 season. New York would have Sexton’s Bird Rights, so the club could exceed the salary cap to sign him to an extension. That means the Knicks could still use their cap space to sign free agents this summer before they pay Sexton.

Sexton’s extension would begin in 2022-23, so the extension would eat into New York’s 2022 cap space.

Sexton’s extension could be as high as $168 million over five years. If the Knicks extend Julius Randle and Sexton, they could still create enough cap space for a max free agent in 2022. But doing so becomes a bit more difficult. An RJ Barrett extension wouldn’t impact their 2022 cap space, but they’d need to maintain cap flexibility this offseason.

STILL STAR CHASING?
This is noteworthy because, as recently as last month, the Knicks talked internally about acquiring a top-tier star via trade or signing.

That’s not new, of course.

Dating back to the 2020 NBA trade deadline, one of the Knicks’ goals has been to maintain enough assets/flexibility to acquire a star. Leading up to the 2021 trade deadline, people with the Knicks felt that they were only going to make a big trade if it netted a player who could turn them into a contender.

The question then, and now, is: What top-tier player is available this offseason?

Unless a star player demands a trade, there is no obvious answer.

So even if the Knicks acquire and extend Sexton, I’d expect them to maintain enough flexibility/assets to be in the conversation for an established star player in the 2022 class. That class will likely feature Chicago’s Zach LaVine and Washington’s Bradley Beal.

(This shouldn’t come as a surprise, but the Knicks continue to monitor the situations for both players).

Again, if New York signs Sexton to an extension, the club can still have enough cap space to sign a max free agent in 2022.

Other teams with cap space this offseason, including the Toronto Raptors and Dallas Mavericks, could also look to prioritize cap space for 2022. So the Knicks will likely have significant competition for 2022 free agents.

Will the Knicks have enough assets left over to trade for a star player following a Sexton trade?

That remains to be seen.

One other note: People in touch with the Knicks recently came away with the impression that New York had little interest in including Barrett in any trades.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
It’s nothing against Cooper, it’s a philosophy thing for me. We need to draft guys that can help us now or in a trade. And the only way they’ll do that is by playing. So I’m not a fan of drafting a project at 19, especially if he’s gonna be behind a minimum of 2 pgs, possibly 3.

If we stay put, I'd go best PG available and then a ready-now player with the other pick. Cooper is the best PG available, elite ball-handling, best playmaker in the draft, but the jumper obviously needs work (free throw shooting and early ineligibility cutting into his shooting practice give me real hope there though).

I'm not letting Cooper slip past our second selection if we haven't come up with a long-term solution at PG. He's a risk worth taking...dude can flat out create.

I feel you though. He's not the likely solution, so you're either hoping Rose starts or that IQ becomes a PG unless you add another vet.