Yung Knickas Wildin|Draft Picks Stylin|Grimes n Mcbride Got Bball God's Smilin NYK Discussion Thread

Typical Knicks Fan

F-ing Knicks.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York
My point is this - the Cavs have been awful since Lebron left again and they desperately need high end talent - why are they so eager to get rid of him? Buyer beware.

He is not a better player than Garland or whomever they pick at 3 in the draft being Suggs or Green. That is the main reason to get rid of him. Coming from years of Frank and Payton, Sexton is a major upgrade, just not at max dollars.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
My point is this - the Cavs have been awful since Lebron left again and they desperately need high end talent - why are they so eager to get rid of him? Buyer beware.
Exactly, they aren’t even waiting for the draft to happen to do this trade. Something is up and it’s likely either team issues or as I suspect they know he isn’t set up for winning

He is not a better player than Garland or whomever they pick at 4 in the draft being Suggs or Green. That is the main reason to get rid of him. Coming from years of Frank and Payton, Sexton is a major upgrade, just not at max dollars.

Yeah but they are just as likely to draft Mobley. Also too many high level offenses rely on 3 guards for them to say they wouldn’t need him. Even based on his output they shouldn’t be looking to move him unless they internally aren’t fans.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
He is not a better player than Garland or whomever they pick at 3 in the draft being Suggs or Green. That is the main reason to get rid of him. Coming from years of Frank and Payton, Sexton is a major upgrade, just not at max dollars.

Yeah, that's sorta my point. If the Cavs thought Sexton was gonna evolve into this multiple all-star caliber player, he's not on the trade block and is probably already signed to his max deal. There's a reason the Cavs wanna get rid of him.

Daniel.

BK to NJ, but always a New York Knicka
Daps
There's a philosophical conversation to be had about the value of bringing in Sexton whether it's for a year or he's brought on with the intention to extend and that conversation is whether or not Thibs' brand of ball is a sustainable and successful approach to win championships in this league.

A lot of the support I'm seeing for Sexton seems to be rooted in fit with Thibs and I don't think there's an argument to be had there. Admittedly, I haven't watched Sexton enough to have strong feelings one way or another, but what I have seen is a guy that's all effort and energy and tough nosed, but doesn't seem to be particularly versatile as an offensive player; that's not to say he can't grow to become one, but defensive oriented and simplified offense Thibs isn't exactly the coach to help do it.

So kf the logic is that he's a Thibs guy, who's offense is notoriously simple, why the fukk is that a good thing that's he's a Thibs kind of guy? If I'm building this team, I'm looking for players that are offensively gifted, whether it be through scoring or playmaking, with the tools/baseline to play the brand of tough/team defense Thibs requires of his team to compliment our core of RJ and Randle.

Bringing effectively another bully like Sexton to go with RJ in the backcourt, to play off another bully, albeit with more finesse in Randle, because it "fits" Thibs' mold just means more of the same shyt from last year. It means stagnant, outdated offense that's going to grind you down in the regular season but come up short in the post season when everything slows down and scheming around shyt/crowding the paint is easier and whatever random spot up shooter that can't do anything else on the floor is cold and out of rhythm has to rush a shot or feels the playoff pressure.

Thibs' offense is trash. I don't know why or how it's beneficial to enable him if there is the potential to get players that are more offensively gifted through the draft/FA and get them to buy into the team culture, versus bringing on more "killers" that have 1 tool in their tool belt. We need offense. Real offense. Not someone that makes their living at the rim on a trash team.

We had a season to see what we have and it fizzled out. This is a time to retool and fix what was missing, not fukking double down with more of the same.

If you're reupping Randle, that says he's your guy. If you're keeping RJ, he's your core piece. Build around then with complimentary pieces, not redundancies. I'd rather have an offensively gifted player who we dumb down to our plodding offense that can freelance when we need him too versus another inconsistent scorer just because he claps and plays with effort.

We're buying into this philosophy to the letter of "NY style" ball bullshyt and we're going to end up going down the road of Rex Ryan's Jets and the Knicks of old in a league that has teams that can drop 140 easy. Even the 90's Knicks gave in and added Houston and the ghost of LJ and Sprewell for offense because that grit and grind shyt gets you so far. We need versatility. Not guys that fit an outdated mold.

Daniel.

BK to NJ, but always a New York Knicka
Daps
And writing this long because I'm realizing at this point that barring star players, when there has been smoke there has been fire with this team - Randle and Toppin in particular being what comes to mind

I'm really hopeful this is typical offseason bullshyt but I'm genuinely concerned the road we're going down is eerily familiar.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
There are stats and then there are watching these guys play and how they get those stats

vs

Sexton is Brandon Jennings. Jennings was a scoring SG in a PG’s body, not a great defender, and he had a mean streak in him that if you gave him a reason he could drop 50 on you. Jennings had some 6 and 7 assist seasons but he wasn’t a great passer because everyone had to play off of him. His passing was C&S to stationary shooter, passing from the baseline (after defenders surrounded him on bad drives), transition or at the rim to Centers. To put it into perspective it would be level of passing RJ could do.

Keep in mind I am not even saying that isn’t the level of passing the Knicks need, but yeah Sexton plays like Jennings and just like Jennings he might be a little too ball dominant for his own good (aka winning), at the same time he plays his best when he is ball dominant so he needs to be ball dominant to play his best game.

With Nunn you’re getting a guy who knows how to operate in a offense with maybe a 15-20% on ball usage. Sexton is pushing 30% of the teams time on ball to get those higher stats. He’s a sixth man and just like other sixth man teams overpay them thinking they can learn to play within an offense. The Cavs are giving up on that dream and trying to recoup assets.

Nunn doesn’t solve the problem we had in Atlanta tho. Sexton does.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ

Because they’re doing exactly what we were planning on doing with Julius Randle when we drafted Obi. Except they will be drafting a potential superstar in Colin spot.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Exactly, they aren’t even waiting for the draft to happen to do this trade. Something is up and it’s likely either team issues or as I suspect they know he isn’t set up for winning

Yeah but they are just as likely to draft Mobley. Also too many high level offenses rely on 3 guards for them to say they wouldn’t need him. Even based on his output they shouldn’t be looking to move him unless they internally aren’t fans.
What the fukk do the Cavs know about winning outside of being in close proximity to one of the 5 greatest players of all time?

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Y’all gotta realize Sexton is not a finished product. He’s 22.

He’s also a great scorer, point blank. Top 20 in ppg last season when he was 21/22 while also shooting 48% from the field (aka pretty efficient).

Bad teams can inflate a bum’s numbers but they can also make a good player look worse…we know this better than most. This doesn’t mean Sexton is any sort of sure thing, but how much his game can change when he’s surrounded by competent talent in a legitimate system is worth wondering.

And even if it doesn’t work out…he’s an rfa at the end of the season. The beauty of the Austin rivers example is he’s the only player that didn’t buy-in and was shipped by the trade deadline (Payton might fit but he seemed like he tried to do what’s right me just didn’t have the right skillset). This management and coaching doesn’t seem to get too attached to its own moves.

Sexton ain’t a guaranteed home run. But it’s a risk worth taking since it’s not too costly. I’d like to still get Mann or cooper, but Sexton makes a lot of sense without much cost until after we’ve had ample time to evaluate him on this roster and with this coaching staff.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Nunn doesn’t solve the problem we had in Atlanta tho. Sexton does.

Sexton solves Trae Young better than Nunn how?:what:

Or

they would both do the same thing. I don’t know how to explain to you all how beating the Hawks isn’t as important as shorting up the holes they exposed.

Here’s another video of Nunn doing his thing against the hawks

Last edited:

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
There's a philosophical conversation to be had about the value of bringing in Sexton whether it's for a year or he's brought on with the intention to extend and that conversation is whether or not Thibs' brand of ball is a sustainable and successful approach to win championships in this league.

A lot of the support I'm seeing for Sexton seems to be rooted in fit with Thibs and I don't think there's an argument to be had there. Admittedly, I haven't watched Sexton enough to have strong feelings one way or another, but what I have seen is a guy that's all effort and energy and tough nosed, but doesn't seem to be particularly versatile as an offensive player; that's not to say he can't grow to become one, but defensive oriented and simplified offense Thibs isn't exactly the coach to help do it.

So kf the logic is that he's a Thibs guy, who's offense is notoriously simple, why the fukk is that a good thing that's he's a Thibs kind of guy? If I'm building this team, I'm looking for players that are offensively gifted, whether it be through scoring or playmaking, with the tools/baseline to play the brand of tough/team defense Thibs requires of his team to compliment our core of RJ and Randle.

Bringing effectively another bully like Sexton to go with RJ in the backcourt, to play off another bully, albeit with more finesse in Randle, because it "fits" Thibs' mold just means more of the same shyt from last year. It means stagnant, outdated offense that's going to grind you down in the regular season but come up short in the post season when everything slows down and scheming around shyt/crowding the paint is easier and whatever random spot up shooter that can't do anything else on the floor is cold and out of rhythm has to rush a shot or feels the playoff pressure.

Thibs' offense is trash. I don't know why or how it's beneficial to enable him if there is the potential to get players that are more offensively gifted through the draft/FA and get them to buy into the team culture, versus bringing on more "killers" that have 1 tool in their tool belt. We need offense. Real offense. Not someone that makes their living at the rim on a trash team.

We had a season to see what we have and it fizzled out. This is a time to retool and fix what was missing, not fukking double down with more of the same.

If you're reupping Randle, that says he's your guy. If you're keeping RJ, he's your core piece. Build around then with complimentary pieces, not redundancies. I'd rather have an offensively gifted player who we dumb down to our plodding offense that can freelance when we need him too versus another inconsistent scorer just because he claps and plays with effort.

We're buying into this philosophy to the letter of "NY style" ball bullshyt and we're going to end up going down the road of Rex Ryan's Jets and the Knicks of old in a league that has teams that can drop 140 easy. Even the 90's Knicks gave in and added Houston and the ghost of LJ and Sprewell for offense because that grit and grind shyt gets you so far. We need versatility. Not guys that fit an outdated mold.

Our pg was Elfrid fukking Payton. We didn’t fizzle out in the playoffs. Our weaknesses were exposed. Sexton can cover that weakness and can actually grow with this teams window.

No he’s not going to have us competing for a championship next season, but he will have us back in the playoffs as a team with ridiculous upside to continue to grow and get better. Not to mention he leaves us with our full cap flexibility to still absorb contracts for picks or make another move for a star before we have to pay anyone next season.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Sexton solves Trae Young better than Nunn how?:what:

Or

they would both do the same thing. I don’t know how to explain to you all how beating the Hawks isn’t as important as shorting up the holes they exposed.

Collin Sexton doing what he did next to Kevin Love is more impressive than Nunn doing that next to two all stars. :yeshrug:

I fully understand your logic, but there’s going to be a Kendrick Nunn in every free agency class. I’d rather try to figure out what Sexton can look like on a real team. I already know what Nunn looks like next to talent.