Youth Curfew to go into effect in Newark, NJ /* begins May 3rd

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
don't shyt meant to shuffle more kids back into the system.

The only way to really change the results of teen violence is economic justice initiatives where Black kids have the same economic opportunities as others.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
i am 39, was not sheltered, not bullshytting. I and others keep bringing up that children should not be by themselves or with other teens only after a certain point. Did your school dances not have chaperones/adults watching the kids, or did the school say fukk it and let the kids be by themselves?
WE DID NOT GO STRAIGHT HOME AFTER DANCES

And house parties did not have adults

The “stroll” where you could just drive/walk around used to be Jack London, we were always out there alone.

StackorStarve

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Why in the fukk are teenagers younger than 18 at a party that ends at midnight? I understand sleepovers but a fukking party? Come on.
Might not be your experience but house parties definitely lasted up to and past 12 at times back in the early 00s. Especially if you was fukking with them North Newark Puerto Rican parties. They’d still be playing music at 2am

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
I don't think you go this far back, but I think they used to call Irv. "Ghost town" back in the day, because they enforced a strict youth curfew. Wouldn't find a soul on the streets at night.

in NY there use to be a curfew for during school hours. We'd get kicked out of places for being in them during school hours.

They even had these fake cops that could snatch you up and drag you back to school.

• Dap
Reactions: IVS

DetroitEWarren

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit You bytch Ass nikka
You realize you’re talking to a woman. My parents weren’t on my head because I generally exercised good judgment and they could trust me. 10th grade, I’d get home by midnight on the weekends outside of special events, by 11th, 1/1:30 was common, and this was when Oakland was still Oakland. Spent weekends cruising Jack London, hitting black Saturday, house parties, or attending the sideshow.
Lol, yea, you are my favorite chick on here girl bye :youngsabo:

Sorry for taking that shot at you doe babygirl, I apologize. I know you ain't that much older than me :troll:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
i am 39, was not sheltered, not bullshytting. I and others keep bringing up that children should not be by themselves or with other teens only after a certain point. Did your school dances not have chaperones/adults watching the kids, or did the school say fukk it and let the kids be by themselves?

Okay, you were the super responsible kid that your parents knew would never mess up so it did not matter when you came home, good for you, but for others it does. People generally want to know where their children are and want them home at a reasonable time, no matter how responsible they are.
Then parents need to set that curfew themselves. But a blanket rule that teens can’t be out alone past 9, especially on the weekend, is stupid, especially when there are a ton of legit events and spaces that (older teens) would be attending with just their peer group.

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
WE DID NOT GO STRAIGHT HOME AFTER DANCES

And house parties did not have adults

The “stroll” where you could just drive/walk around used to be Jack London, we were always out there alone.
I edited my post so you may not of seen it, but i get it. You were extremely responsible that would never get in trouble or have any issues, great. But that is you. For most parents, they will want to know where their children are, especially at night to such an extent they will not allow them out to roam free.

The whole reason that the thread is created for is because parents are letting their children roam free at night, committing crimes and doing things that have the potential to fukk them up for life. There needs to be structure and a curfew for teens is the city's way to look for their best interests, even if the parents do not.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I edited my post so you may not of seen it, but i get it. You were extremely responsible that would never get in trouble or have any issues, great. But that is you. For most parents, they will want to know where their children are, especially at night to such an extent they will not allow them out to roam free.

The whole reason that the thread is created for is because parents are letting their children roam free at night, committing crimes and doing things that have the potential to fukk them up for life. There needs to be structure and a curfew for teens is the city's way to look for their best interests, even if the parents do not.
Yes, I know and agree with that, I simply disagree that 9pm is a reasonable time as public policy. You want it to be 9pm for your household, cool, but a ton of teen appropriate events go past 9.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
@get these nets has anything out of the usual been happening lately? Any extra gang activity or teen deaths? Why now?
Proactively getting ahead of the issue before the weather gets warm.

But the past few years, there have been break ins and car burglaries across the metro area tied to teen suspects from Newark.