Your most hated mechanic or things used in game design still?

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Serious answer:
Losing abilities and/or items in sequels. It's lazy and poor story telling.
You don't HAVE to completely start a player from 0 every single game. Just come up with new move sets, abilities, items, etc.
Yeah, i appreciated jedi survivor for basically starting you out where you left off in fallen order.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Invisible walls or arbitrary blocks on movement/progression.

Can’t stand it. Any game with this type of stuff infuriates me.

Build your levels around the tools you give me. Don’t give me tools and just arbitrarily block me from going somewhere cause I’d break your game. Take the time to test your level design with the tools you gave me.

Most recently Hogwarts was terrible at this.

“can’t jump over this” “can’t fly there”. It kills the idea of immersion in a believable world:smh:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Having to start a new game with no upgraded skills in a direct sequel. Yeah I get it, but I just learned all that shyt. You telling me you forgot everything we worked on in the gym just because you starting an adventure in a new location :beli:
My bad. Didn't even read through the thread before commenting. But yeah. This. 100%.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Serious answer:
You don't HAVE to completely start a player from 0 every single game. Just come up with new move sets, abilities, items, etc.
Coincidentally I feel that KH3 would have been a much better game had they not let Sora keep all his powers. He felt too strong from the moment the game started.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Serious answer:
I gotta disagree here.

Progression is part of the satisfaction i get from games.

I enjoy the idea of starting off “weak” and working to improve myself over the course of the game.

To use Hogwarts for an example. If in the sequel you were to start off with “Avada Cadabra” Then the rest of the game is meaningless to me cause i’m already a badass. What motivation do i have to get stronger?

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I gotta disagree here.

Progression is part of the satisfaction i get from games.

I enjoy the idea of starting off “weak” and working to improve myself over the course of the game.

To use Hogwarts for an example. If in the sequel you were to start off with “Avada Cadabra” Then the rest of the game is meaningless to me cause i’m already a badass. What motivation do i have to get stronger?
The motivation to "get stronger" is the writers responsibility.
It's lazy writing IMO. The first 3 God of wars didn't have to start with some square peg into a round hole power drain to keep the progression interesting.

Coincidentally, it's the same problem a lot of animes have, namely DBZ which I love but it has it's flaws.
Writers end up in this cliche loop of; hero starts weak, hero has to get stronger to defeat strong enemy, absurdly powerful "boss" appears, hero has to shatter through power cap. For the sequel they want to repeat the process so you either A) strip the hero of their power B) Increase everyone's power cap to absurd heights.

Hell, the MCU has the same issue. After Thanos they introduce multiverse elements that completely remove the stakes and introduce a never ending loop of "there will always be someone/something more powerful".

I like the way the original Naruto series was. The writers didn't focus on "power levels". It was more about the strategies in each battle. A much weaker opponent could defeat a stronger one if they were just smarter.

Circling back to games, progression doesn't always have to come in the form of higher damage output. Things like switching up movement, changing key items, play with strength vs weakness abilities, and more could keep things fresh and give players a sense of progression while keeping the story fresh. Writers need to stretch creatively and stop leaning on the same lazy tropes of "must do more damage" to provide gamers with a sense of progression.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The motivation to "get stronger" is the writers responsibility.
It's lazy writing IMO. The first 3 God of wars didn't have to start with some square peg into a round hole power drain to keep the progression interesting.

Coincidentally, it's the same problem a lot of animes have, namely DBZ which I love but it has it's flaws.
Writers end up in this cliche loop of; hero starts weak, hero has to get stronger to defeat strong enemy, absurdly powerful "boss" appears, hero has to shatter through power cap. For the sequel they want to repeat the process so you either A) strip the hero of their power B) Increase everyone's power cap to absurd heights.

Hell, the MCU has the same issue. After Thanos they introduce multiverse elements that completely remove the stakes and introduce a never ending loop of "there will always be someone/something more powerful".

I like the way the original Naruto series was. The writers didn't focus on "power levels". It was more about the strategies in each battle. A much weaker opponent could defeat a stronger one if they were just smarter.

Circling back to games, progression doesn't always have to come in the form of higher damage output. Things like switching up movement, changing key items, play with strength vs weakness abilities, and more could keep things fresh and give players a sense of progression while keeping the story fresh. Writers need to stretch creatively and stop leaning on the same lazy tropes of "must do more damage" to provide gamers with a sense of progression.
The OG GOW games did the same.

The opening to GOW2 is literally Kratos losing his “God” powers he acquired in the previous game.

There’s a finite amount of powers/skills that make sense in any game. If they give you 15 powers in the first game. You can’t expect the next game to start you with those same 15 powers and add another 15.

If you started off GOW2 as powerful as you left off 1 then 2 would be a boring game.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
The OG GOW games did the same.

The opening to GOW2 is literally Kratos losing his “God” powers he acquired in the previous game.

There’s a finite amount of powers/skills that make sense in any game. If they give you 15 powers in the first game. You can’t expect the next game to start you with those same 15 powers and add another 15.

If you started off GOW2 as powerful as you left off 1 then 2 would be a boring game.
:scusthov:Do you fools listen to music or do you just skim through it?

I mentioned GOW off rip.
The first 3 GOW games didn't HAVE to strip Kratos of his powers. It's lazy writing.
In the last 2 GOW games they didn't strip his powers; they gave him new ones.
And not everything has to be based on "leveling up" or increasing your damage output.
Writers need to do better. The cliche needs to be broken down.
You're inferring that stripping a character down and building him back up is the only way to make a game interesting in terms of meaningful progression.
I understand it's the way it's generally always been done; but that doesn't HAVE to be that way. Writers can make interesting stories and tie in meaningful progression without going the "let's unlock a stronger move" route.
Switch up the character's movements, make enemies smarter and force the player to think differently about how to approach a battle, experiment with strength vs weakness mechanics (ie pokemon elements), and more.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
:scusthov:Do you fools listen to music or do you just skim through it?

I mentioned GOW off rip.
The first 3 GOW games didn't HAVE to strip Kratos of his powers. It's lazy writing.

They literally shrunk this nikka in the first scene. I don’t know what games you are remembering but GOW is not a good example.

In the last 2 GOW games they didn't strip his powers; they gave him new ones.
And not everything has to be based on "leveling up" or increasing your damage output.
Writers need to do better. The cliche needs to be broken down.
You're inferring that stripping a character down and building him back up is the only way to make a game interesting in terms of meaningful progression.
I understand it's the way it's generally always been done; but that doesn't HAVE to be that way. Writers can make interesting stories and tie in meaningful progression without going the "let's unlock a stronger move" route.
Switch up the character's movements, make enemies smarter and force the player to think differently about how to approach a battle, experiment with strength vs weakness mechanics (ie pokemon elements), and more.

In the new GOW games he didn’t have much to strip from him, and imo the second game suffered because of that. You only gain one weapon and some non impactful skills/powers over the course of 40 hours. Big part of the reason i checked out on the game before the end. There was nothing to work toward. Just the same enemies and the same weapons i had from start :smh:

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
I don't see games doing this much , but I didn't like when the Spiderman game forced you to play as mary jane.

so just having to play as weaker secondary characters.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Why does every game have me manually squeezing through narrow passages

:martin:
This is done to contain the player.

Devs know when and where you will be at any given time, so they can fill the scene with as much as they want.

This is used in most cinematic/story based games, cause if the player really could go wherever they wanted to go the production would break down and they couldn’t add the amount of detail they do in each individual scene.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven

They literally shrunk this nikka in the first scene. I don’t know what games you are remembering but GOW is not a good example.

In the new GOW games he didn’t have much to strip from him, and imo the second game suffered because of that. You only gain one weapon and some non impactful skills/powers over the course of 40 hours. Big part of the reason i checked out on the game before the end. There was nothing to work toward. Just the same enemies and the same weapons i had from start :smh:

You’re clearly misunderstanding me and I don’t know how else to explain it.