Your most hated mechanic or things used in game design still?

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Some stuff can be added but some stuff just doesn’t make sense. Like it wouldn’t make sense to have link start totk with a full stamina bar and just make the mountains taller.

Gears and Halo introduce the weapons throughout the campaign when it makes sense for the story/setting.

Like you don’t start with a sniper rifle or Hammer of dawn just cause you left off with it in the last game. You progress through your new weapons and abilities as the game goes on and a lot of those weapons and abilities are things that you would have already earned in the game before.
Conversation has gotten circular as hell.

sad-tupac-sigh-aa3kmvfqcuw6lyx2.gif

I'm gonna need additional korok seeds, 3 mega ethers, and a phoenix down if you wish to continue.

Daps
I absolutley HATE any inventory system that adds weight to items, and limits the amount of loot the player can carry by slowing the character down. Skyrim, Witcher, Cyberpunk... I feel like I'm wasting way too much time digging through all the useless junk you collect because of this mechanic. Plus you also have to spend stats points to increase the weight limit or wear special items.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

:wtf: Breh. You having trouble following along with a simple conversation today? You drunk or something?

Your most hated mechanic or things used in game design still?​

Having to start a game over with no abilities is lazy writing. That's the premise of my critique.
I specifically mentioned the first 3 God Of War games as an example of what I consider to be lazy writing (and overall game design).
I don't think writing in some sort of excuse to sap the main character's power at the beginning of a sequel is good writing. It's lazy IMO. It's a poor excuse to "give players something to do".
The last 2 God Of War games handled it better. Keep the weapons and abilities and write in some new weapons and abilities.
I know you like to make this a console war thing and especially so since I brought up God Of War, but it's a pretty clear example of what I'm talking about game design and story wise. Other games are just as, if not more guilty of this with their sequels.

I brought up examples from Dragon Ball Z, Marvel, and Naruto to further illustrate what I mean by writers being lazy and getting stuck in this loop of "characters have to level up to defeat their nemesis, and then level up further to defeat the next one".

Hell, Uncharted didn't have to introduce stronger bosses with more HP, and more guns, and force you to level up your armor and guns and abilities to progress from one game to the next. You could argue that Gears Of War didn't really do that either; sure they introduced new weapons here and there, but there isn't some silly mechanic that forces you to relearn abilities to be able to stand a chance against enemies.

From a creative stand point, what writers need to do is allow players to get to a certain power level, item level, etc. and for the sequel, let you keep all of those abilities, items, etc. and simply come up with NEW items, skills etc. for the player to obtain. I understand the RPG or Adventure genre is more susceptible to this but again, that's because of lazy writing, not because it's some written in stone rule.
how does this work with games like Metroid? after a few games Samus gonna look like this:

71RIaWVhDFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
how does this work with games like Metroid? after a few games Samus gonna look like this:

71RIaWVhDFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
That's because you think she would have to.
I brought up several examples of games that didn't have to do that.
I'm not sure why you (and @MeachTheMonster ) feel that a sequel HAS to have weapons and armor to unlock and furthermore, why you feel it's unreasonable/impossible to expect writers/devs/whatever to come up with new things to unlock if they choose to go that route instead of saying "intro chapter. Here comes Metroid again to drain you of everything. Now get out there and find it all again".
Where's the argument against the fact that that is lazy writing? Meach kept basically saying "well you need SOMETHING to unlock otherwise the game would be boring". Ya'll do understand that there are a huge number of sequels that didn't solely rely on unlocking stuff to stay interesting and even more so they didn't rely on unlock the same exact crap.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I'm not sure why you (and @MeachTheMonster ) feel that a sequel HAS to have weapons and armor to unlock and furthermore, why you feel it's unreasonable/impossible to expect writers/devs/whatever to come up with new things to unlock if they choose to go that route instead of saying "intro chapter. Here comes Metroid again to drain you of everything. Now get out there and find it all again".
Where's the argument against the fact that that is lazy writing? Meach kept basically saying "well you need SOMETHING to unlock otherwise the game would be boring". Ya'll do understand that there are a huge number of sequels that didn't solely rely on unlocking stuff to stay interesting and even more so they didn't rely on unlock the same exact crap.
I can’t think of very many(any) sequels that you start with everything you gained in the last game.

Some games are based around unlocking and gaining abilities. It’s not lazy to make a sequel around the same concept. Most games introduce SOME new stuff while also having you unlock/re-earn stuff you did in the last game. Theres only so many weapons/abilities that would make sense in any particular game. It’s unreasonable to expect each new game to come with a whole new entire suite of weapons and abilities that somehow still mesh with the world and game as it’s built.

What games are a good example of what you are looking for here?

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
the whole point of 'metroidvania' games is your progress is gated behind items/abilities. if everything is gated behind 'new' items/abilities, than the old ones become kind of superfluous. it also seems inevitable that the new item/abilities will end up being corny as they try to figure out new ways to open a door

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Conversation has gotten circular as hell.

sad-tupac-sigh-aa3kmvfqcuw6lyx2.gif

I'm gonna need additional korok seeds, 3 mega ethers, and a phoenix down if you wish to continue.

I can’t think of very many(any) sequels that you start with everything you gained in the last game.

Some games are based around unlocking and gaining abilities. It’s not lazy to make a sequel around the same concept. Most games introduce SOME new stuff while also having you unlock/re-earn stuff you did in the last game. Theres only so many weapons/abilities that would make sense in any particular game. It’s unreasonable to expect each new game to come with a whole new entire suite of weapons and abilities that somehow still mesh with the world and game as it’s built.

What games are a good example of what you are looking for here?

the whole point of 'metroidvania' games is your progress is gated behind items/abilities. if everything is gated behind 'new' items/abilities, than the old ones become kind of superfluous. it also seems inevitable that the new item/abilities will end up being corny as they try to figure out new ways to open a door

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
@daze23 @MeachTheMonster
Ya'll need to play Star Wars Fallen Order and then play Star Wars Jedi Survivor to see an absolutely stellar example of the way sequels with RPG elements and sequels PERIOD need to be done.
They don't shoehorn some silly excuse to lose your powers and start the grind over.
You start with all your moves and powers, and less than an hour in the game starts hurling brand new moves, powers, mechanics, traversal variations, etc.
This is easily going to be the gold standard for how to properly put together a sequel without the need to relearn moves or re-earn amor, weapons, etc.
All it takes is creativity to come up with new moves, items, abilities, and Jedi Survivor is delivering easily over double the content of the first game.
@Rain

YOGEBEAR09

RAM Gang. Horns up
Daps
Reppin
Knickstape and dem Rams
@daze23 @MeachTheMonster
Ya'll need to play Star Wars Fallen Order and then play Star Wars Jedi Survivor to see an absolutely stellar example of the way sequels with RPG elements and sequels PERIOD need to be done.
They don't shoehorn some silly excuse to lose your powers and start the grind over.
You start with all your moves and powers, and less than an hour in the game starts hurling brand new moves, powers, mechanics, traversal variations, etc.
This is easily going to be the gold standard for how to properly put together a sequel without the need to relearn moves or re-earn amor, weapons, etc.
All it takes is creativity to come up with new moves, items, abilities, and Jedi Survivor is delivering easily over double the content of the first game.
@Rain
Just finished Survivor last night, what an incredible upgrade over FO which I thought I was already great, Survivor def one of my favorite games ever :wow: :wow: