Your most hated mechanic or things used in game design still?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

They literally shrunk this nikka in the first scene. I don’t know what games you are remembering but GOW is not a good example.

In the new GOW games he didn’t have much to strip from him, and imo the second game suffered because of that. You only gain one weapon and some non impactful skills/powers over the course of 40 hours. Big part of the reason i checked out on the game before the end. There was nothing to work toward. Just the same enemies and the same weapons i had from start :smh:

Just read the post man :snoop:

Dirty Mcdrawz

Your girl loves em....
Daps

They literally shrunk this nikka in the first scene. I don’t know what games you are remembering but GOW is not a good example.

In the new GOW games he didn’t have much to strip from him, and imo the second game suffered because of that. You only gain one weapon and some non impactful skills/powers over the course of 40 hours. Big part of the reason i checked out on the game before the end. There was nothing to work toward. Just the same enemies and the same weapons i had from start :smh:

tenor.gif

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
I'm amazed that you guys enjoy any guys with some of the things listed. I don't think anything will turn me off a game more than time gates. I absolutely hate them. Forcing the player to wait an arbitrary period of time before they can progress is terrible game design. Even if the game gives you the ability to speed up time progression I still hate it. I will count battle pass but I just won't play game that has one :manny:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
In my defense, that post was all over the damn place :francis:

:wtf: Breh. You having trouble following along with a simple conversation today? You drunk or something?

Your most hated mechanic or things used in game design still?​

Serious answer:
Losing abilities and/or items in sequels. It's lazy and poor story telling.
You don't HAVE to completely start a player from 0 every single game. Just come up with new move sets, abilities, items, etc.
Having to start a game over with no abilities is lazy writing. That's the premise of my critique.
I specifically mentioned the first 3 God Of War games as an example of what I consider to be lazy writing (and overall game design).
I don't think writing in some sort of excuse to sap the main character's power at the beginning of a sequel is good writing. It's lazy IMO. It's a poor excuse to "give players something to do".
The last 2 God Of War games handled it better. Keep the weapons and abilities and write in some new weapons and abilities.
I know you like to make this a console war thing and especially so since I brought up God Of War, but it's a pretty clear example of what I'm talking about game design and story wise. Other games are just as, if not more guilty of this with their sequels.

I brought up examples from Dragon Ball Z, Marvel, and Naruto to further illustrate what I mean by writers being lazy and getting stuck in this loop of "characters have to level up to defeat their nemesis, and then level up further to defeat the next one".

Hell, Uncharted didn't have to introduce stronger bosses with more HP, and more guns, and force you to level up your armor and guns and abilities to progress from one game to the next. You could argue that Gears Of War didn't really do that either; sure they introduced new weapons here and there, but there isn't some silly mechanic that forces you to relearn abilities to be able to stand a chance against enemies.

From a creative stand point, what writers need to do is allow players to get to a certain power level, item level, etc. and for the sequel, let you keep all of those abilities, items, etc. and simply come up with NEW items, skills etc. for the player to obtain. I understand the RPG or Adventure genre is more susceptible to this but again, that's because of lazy writing, not because it's some written in stone rule.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

:wtf: Breh. You having trouble following along with a simple conversation today? You drunk or something?

Your most hated mechanic or things used in game design still?​

Having to start a game over with no abilities is lazy writing. That's the premise of my critique.
I specifically mentioned the first 3 God Of War games as an example of what I consider to be lazy writing (and overall game design).
I don't think writing in some sort of excuse to sap the main character's power at the beginning of a sequel is good writing. It's lazy IMO. It's a poor excuse to "give players something to do".
The last 2 God Of War games handled it better. Keep the weapons and abilities and write in some new weapons and abilities.
I know you like to make this a console war thing and especially so since I brought up God Of War, but it's a pretty clear example of what I'm talking about game design and story wise. Other games are just as, if not more guilty of this with their sequels.

I brought up examples from Dragon Ball Z, Marvel, and Naruto to further illustrate what I mean by writers being lazy and getting stuck in this loop of "characters have to level up to defeat their nemesis, and then level up further to defeat the next one".

Hell, Uncharted didn't have to introduce stronger bosses with more HP, and more guns, and force you to level up your armor and guns and abilities to progress from one game to the next. You could argue that Gears Of War didn't really do that either; sure they introduced new weapons here and there, but there isn't some silly mechanic that forces you to relearn abilities to be able to stand a chance against enemies.

From a creative stand point, what writers need to do is allow players to get to a certain power level, item level, etc. and for the sequel, let you keep all of those abilities, items, etc. and simply come up with NEW items, skills etc. for the player to obtain. I understand the RPG or Adventure genre is more susceptible to this but again, that's because of lazy writing, not because it's some written in stone rule.
Breh your first post was all over the place

Where i lost you was
The first 3 God of wars didn't have to start with some square peg into a round hole power drain to keep the progression interesting.
I took the “didn’t have to” as you saying those games didn’t do it.

We were off base from that point on :manny:

I understand what you are saying with the rest of this post and I agree to an extent, but for me the progression has to be based on gameplay. I dont usually care about story motivations so the draw for me is new weapons, abilities, and gameplay challenges. In a sequel it’s very difficult to offer double what the first game offered in terms of gameplay, so i’m ok with having to re-earn some stuff, i even prefer it.

That’s why i used the example of hogwarts. If the next game was to start me off as powerful as i left off in the first one, there wouldn’t be much motivation to explore and get stronger.

Hersh

Superstar
Daps
1. quick time events...just show me a cutscene.

2. timed missions.. smh trash why cant i explore in this section?

3. rubber band ai. i let the computer lap me in mario kart now cause its more fun.

4. random battles. 1 reason why i got supermario rpg over ff7..

5. overcomplicated battle/inventory system. 2nd reason.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Breh your first post was all over the place

Where i lost you was

I took the “didn’t have to” as you saying those games didn’t do it.

We were off base from that point on :manny:

I understand what you are saying with the rest of this post and I agree to an extent, but for me the progression has to be based on gameplay. I dont usually care about story motivations so the draw for me is new weapons, abilities, and gameplay challenges. In a sequel it’s very difficult to offer double what the first game offered in terms of gameplay, so i’m ok with having to re-earn some stuff, i even prefer it.
Breh, if you followed the context of the conversation it wouldn't have been confusing at all.
Everyone knows the first 3 GOW games made you start over. I'm clearly talking about they didn't "HAVE TO" from a writing or some kind of rule perspective. There are other ways to provide meaningful progression, hence why I brought up the last 2 games in the series. Anyway....

That bolded is what I'm saying is up to writers, whether it's for story purposes or otherwise.
These teams are lazy and not EVERYTHING has to be based around "getting stronger/dealing more damage/ taking less damage/ etc.".
Give characters movement abilities, make enemies smarter and force players to approach battles differently. There's a number of different ways to provide a sense of progression and engagement without making the player unlock the same abilities. These guys need to get creative. Come up with new stuff. It's not easy but it's not THAT difficult.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Breh, if you followed the context of the conversation it wouldn't have been confusing at all.
Everyone knows the first 3 GOW games made you start over. I'm clearly talking about they didn't "HAVE TO" from a writing or some kind of rule perspective. There are other ways to provide meaningful progression, hence why I brought up the last 2 games in the series. Anyway....
Simple misunderstanding. :manny:

That bolded is what I'm saying is up to writers, whether it's for story purposes or otherwise.
These teams are lazy and not EVERYTHING has to be based around "getting stronger/dealing more damage/ taking less damage/ etc.".
Give characters movement abilities, make enemies smarter and force players to approach battles differently. There's a number of different ways to provide a sense of progression and engagement without making the player unlock the same abilities. These guys need to get creative. Come up with new stuff. It's not easy but it's not THAT difficult.
It’s not about being lazy. There’s only so many ways you can traverse the world. So if you work your way through the game and gain a grappling hook or something that allows you to traverse the entire map, they can’t just start you off in the next game being able to do the same. You gotta work your way towards it.

As far as the GOW example. I preferred the progression of the OG games. I didn’t feel like there was much progression in gameplay at all in Ragnarock. You only gain one new traversal move and it’s more or less the same as the one you had before.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven

It’s not about being lazy. There’s only so many ways you can traverse the world. So if you work your way through the game and gain a grappling hook or something that allows you to traverse the entire map, they can’t just start you off in the next game being able to do the same. You gotta work your way towards it.

As far as the GOW example. I preferred the progression of the OG games. I didn’t feel like there was much progression in gameplay at all in Ragnarock. You only gain one new traversal move and it’s more or less the same as the one you had before.
Give the player a double jump, flying mounts or abilities, make mountains taller and harder to scale, make enemies that can counter some of the older abilities easier requiring to use more than one abilities to deal with them, introduce weather elements that require different items to make it from one area to the next safely, new vehicles, teleportation, introduce completely new biomes with differing landscapes and unique enemies, I mean come on, it's not impossible. It just requires some clever storyboarding/writing for it to make sense in the game's universe.
And again...a sequel does not NEED these "re-do/re-learn/re-earn" mechanics to be good. Uncharted, Gears of War, Halo, Call of Duty, and so many more have proven you don't need to give players some meaningful gameplay mechanic carrot to chase every new game. Some games...gasp! dare I say...have STORIES strong enough to carry the player through meaningful EVENTS instead of focusing on "leveling up".

Rain

👀
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

BULLshyt. Give me my grappling hook and the paraglider I had to go kill an ogre for damnit. :damn:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Give the player a double jump, flying mounts or abilities, make mountains taller and harder to scale, make enemies that can counter some of the older abilities easier requiring to use more than one abilities to deal with them, introduce weather elements that require different items to make it from one area to the next safely, new vehicles, teleportation, introduce completely new biomes with differing landscapes and unique enemies, I mean come on, it's not impossible. It just requires some clever storyboarding/writing for it to make sense in the game's universe.
And again...a sequel does not NEED these "re-do/re-learn/re-earn" mechanics to be good. Uncharted, Gears of War, Halo, Call of Duty, and so many more have proven you don't need to give players some meaningful gameplay mechanic carrot to chase every new game. Some games...gasp! dare I say...have STORIES strong enough to carry the player through meaningful EVENTS instead of focusing on "leveling up".
Some stuff can be added but some stuff just doesn’t make sense. Like it wouldn’t make sense to have link start totk with a full stamina bar and just make the mountains taller.

Gears and Halo introduce the weapons throughout the campaign when it makes sense for the story/setting.

Like you don’t start with a sniper rifle or Hammer of dawn just cause you left off with it in the last game. You progress through your new weapons and abilities as the game goes on and a lot of those weapons and abilities are things that you would have already earned in the game before.