Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
  • superhero movies will finally die a long overdue death
  • Hollywood will start to swaggerjack South Korea of their juice
  • Robert De'Niro will end up doing Hallmark movies
  • There will be a huge implosion in the streaming service bubble that will be catastrophic
  • There will be a huge box office bomb that will blow up The Film Room and leaked into TLR
  • The biggest blockbuster will come in the form of an independent movie with unknown names

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
  • superhero movies will finally die a long overdue death
  • Hollywood will start to swaggerjack South Korea of their juice
  • Robert De'Niro will end up doing Hallmark movies
  • There will be a huge implosion in the streaming service bubble that will be catastrophic
  • There will be a huge box office bomb that will blow up The Film Room and leaked into TLR
  • The biggest blockbuster will come in the form of an independent movie with unknown names
Oppenheimer :lolbron:

calh45

Cal
Daps
There will be two years of "universe" exhaustion. The movie industry hasn't realized Thanos/Infinity Wars was the most perfect comic crossover in existence, but that doesn't mean we all want multi movie/TV show crossover for everything.

The top movies next year will be independent or stand alone movies.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I think the bar for success in movies will change from the box office into something else. Covid stopped all momentum for people attending movie theaters since it hit and movies that are actually successful due to streaming or otherwise are being labelled as box office bombs.

There will be two years of "universe" exhaustion. The movie industry hasn't realized Thanos/Infinity Wars was the most perfect comic crossover in existence, but that doesn't mean we all want multi movie/TV show crossover for everything.

The top movies next year will be independent or stand alone movies.
Yeah I think that hollywood will learn that only marvel can and has done this shyt successfully at the level that they have and the industry will stop trying to copy them. The only thing remotely close is the Godzilla/Kong universe and the only reason they are floating by is because they've done it before in history and they had a successful standalone that kicked the universe off similar to Ironman.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
This whole comic book wave is getting ready to burn itself out.

IMO video games are getting ready to take over Hollywood.
I don't think they can until they stop trying to duplicate the stories of the games. These games have better graphics and length to tell the story. The movies take shortcuts and have limitations that prevent them from telling the story as intended.

You can only encapsulate the audience that didn't play the game. People who actually played Uncharted hated on and didn't like the Uncharted movie. Some things like the Borderlands movie might work though since that story is relatively barebones and the world and narrative style is interesting enough.

thenatural

Superstar
Daps
The only reason I don't see the Marvel gravy train stopping is because 1. Fans got spoiled and 2. They have two of the more popular properties waiting in their back pocket. DC started pushing out shyt with their most popular characters expecting the fans to flock just because. And as we've seen, a lot of those actors are fed up with the studio. Never makes a good sign.

Like someone alluded to earlier, the movie theater model is trying to recover by either waiting months for these movies to drop via streaming, or even adding a premium fee to watch said movie. I don't think they realize that people are patient enough to wait, especially if they're not providing the visual effects you can only catch in the theaters. I enjoyed Black Adam, but if people don't want to watch it, it's a multitude of factors. The action/thriller genre in general I feel like is about to take a big hit. I love them shyts, especially if they're 2:15 and under. But, to a lot of people they feel like once you've one, you've seen them all.

calh45

Cal
Daps
I think the bar for success in movies will change from the box office into something else. Covid stopped all momentum for people attending movie theaters since it hit and movies that are actually successful due to streaming or otherwise are being labelled as box office bombs.

Yeah I think that hollywood will learn that only marvel can and has done this shyt successfully at the level that they have and the industry will stop trying to copy them. The only thing remotely close is the Godzilla/Kong universe and the only reason they are floating by is because they've done it before in history and they had a successful standalone that kicked the universe off similar to Ironman.
The Marvel success was an anomaly too. Think of the all time acting talent they leveraged for the initial run and they're finding out that there's only one RDJ, and Brolin, and Evans, and Sam L, and Boseman. It was an all time lightning strike that Holland/Spiderman can't carry alone and there's no one with the RDJ gravity to carry the next story.

Everything they're trying outside of Spiderman hasn't been met with the initial critical success plus financial success they had. Paul Rudd plus Cumberbatch ain't it. The Eternals and Shuri are a nah. Deadpool can't center their universe because a PG Deadpool ain't Deadpool. Weirdly, DC is better off because Batman and Supes are evergreen plus everyone grew up on the teen titans and they can one shot those every 5 years.

I still think box office is going to be prevalent because the streamers are losing too much money on streaming only movies. It's going to make people like Cruise and Pratt and Pattinson and Holland infinitely more valuable going forward. The "Star" is gonna be more important than the intellectual property. I think we're going to see a reversion of what's been happening the past decade with movies.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I still think box office is going to be prevalent because the streamers are losing too much money on streaming only movies. It's going to make people like Cruise and Pratt and Pattinson and Holland infinitely more valuable going forward. The "Star" is gonna be more important than the intellectual property. I think we're going to see a reversion of what's been happening the past decade with movies.
I agree with the other things you said but here I think you are focusing on the other extreme.

I'm not saying the box office won't be prevalent, just that the box office won't be the only bar for success. Box office break even points are shooting through the roof right now and the numbers haven't been catching up to them. They'll end up using different formulas to calculate success, with streaming and renting calculated in there, as movies have more long term financial opportunity now than they did in the physical media era, back then you buy a movie you have it forever, now you may find yourself renting a movie multiple times over the years and may watch ads on rewatches. And in Avatar's case, it flat out had a 2nd theatrical run.

So like music and first week album sales, I think hollywood's going to start looking past a movie's first weekend, or initial theatrical box office revenue, because a movie can make money in more ways than that now.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
a couple of ifs, but if the movie comes out in 2023 and it's a serious drama (maybe even a drama/comedy) biopic, Zach Efron will be in serious contention for the Best Actor awards for his portrayal of Kevin Von Erich. The Von Erich's real life drama was tragic. And it'll have the A24 stamp on it.