Ya Boy Quentin Tarantino sends message to critics of N-word usage in his movies: ‘See something else’

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
The Godfather, Sopranos. Goodfellas. The way they speak or describe blacks is quite disgusting but that's racists, right?
I always hated the fact that black folks love those movies too. Like people are really glamourizing a bunch of racist thugs.
And again those movie have no context storywise for racism, just showing just cause. To me you should only get a pass if you a showing it in a historic context where it would be insulting not too, like a 12 years a slave type movie.
Otherwise you should at least portray the people using the word as bad racist people, instead of cool people how casually throw around racist language like its not a big deal

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
I always hated the fact that black folks love those movies too. Like people are really glamourizing a bunch of racist thugs.
And again those movie have no context storywise for racism, just showing just cause. To me you should only get a pass if you a showing it in a historic context where it would be insulting not too, like a 12 years a slave type movie.
Otherwise you should at least portray the people using the word as bad racist people, instead of cool people how casually throw around racist language like its not a big deal
Well technically Sonny Corelone was a twisted fukk..everyone in the Sopranos were murdering sociopaths except Meadow...Henry Hill and Tommy were amoral scumbags..nothing cool about them but entertaining flicks. Its just their irrational view of blacks is Hitler-level...

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I'm one of the people that have criticized his n word usage. Like even in movie where no black people are in the cast and the content has nothing to do with racism, like reservoir dogs, nwords are still aplenty just cause. That said i've long taken his advice and simply not watched his films.

Exactly, there was NO justification for that "dead n*gger storage" scene in Pulp Fiction. Ole boy just wanted to say that shyt for the hell of it.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I'm one of the people that have criticized his n word usage. Like even in movie where no black people are in the cast and the content has nothing to do with racism, like reservoir dogs, nwords are still aplenty just cause. That said i've long taken his advice and simply not watched his films.
I don't get this argument. Film is art. Those characters use the n-word because that's who they are as characters and people. If anything I've found it weird that so many people discuss the inherent racism of white people, the presence of white supremacy etc...but get offended by a movie in which relatively normal white characters - or deplorable white characters - casually say the n-word. To me that's a reflection of reality, and how many white people talk when black people aren't around. I expect humanity to be reflected in art, whether in its beauty or ugliness.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I don't get this argument. Film is art. Those characters use the n-word because that's who they are as characters and people. If anything I've found it weird that so many people discuss the inherent racism of white people, the presence of white supremacy etc...but get offended by a movie in which relatively normal white characters - or deplorable white characters - casually say the n-word. To me that's a reflection of reality, and how many white people talk when black people aren't around. I expect humanity to be reflected in art, whether in its beauty or ugliness.
they aren't protrayed as deplorable imo, Why i made the comparison between sopranos and 12 years a slave. Would anybody try to make a tv show following the family life of the slave owner from that movie. In between whipping slaves he's having comical arguments with his daugther about college?

Studious one

Change names, like change clothes; stay a fly girl
Daps
I wish I could give you a hug right now! I never understood why black people watch most of that shyt, especially the sopranos . A bunch of pieces of shyt of their community lumping all people of one community.into one group. The irony has never been lost on me.

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
they aren't protrayed as deplorable imo, Why i made the comparison between sopranos and 12 years a slave. Would anybody try to make a tv show following the family life of the slave owner from that movie. In between whipping slaves he's having comical arguments with his daugther about college?

Their victims are usually other gangsters, gambling addicts or random people in the wrong place at the wrong time. It would clearly be viewed a lot different if Tony decided to single out a whole race for punishment.

Some gangster films are among the best ever made, and I think exploring flawed or amoral people and power structures like that is always a good topic for film. The duality of Tony Soprano was really what made the character interesting, he was a family man, and also an amoral murderer. If he was just one or the other, the show would be boring on ice.

That being said Tarantino's scene in Pulp Fiction is really unnecessary, and always takes me out of the film. It doesn't help that hes also a terrible actor with a giant gargoyle head, but he could have had any actor read those lines and they still would have sounded childish and disgusting.

boriquaking

In Sauce We Trust!
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Big Gete Star
Would he get away with saying the K word for Jewish people, and the F word for gays as much?
He’s actually used the words “fakkit”, “gook” , and wetback more than the N word in his movies.

Like, almost twice as often. Idk if he’s used the K word, don’t think so.

But he spreads the love around.

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
Martin Scorcese now is a better director than Quentin Tarantino.

I'd put The Departed, The Wolf of Wall Street, Silence and The Irishman over any of Tarantino's movies after Jackie Brown.

I don't know what it is with his films but there was a noticeable change in tone after Jackie Brown like every film he's made since just feels like parody moreso than an original film that's a homage.
Silence and The Irishman were mid as fukk.