Xenoblade Chronicles 2

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The plot of Xenoblade and 2 connect but not in an important way. Final Fantasy games share themes but the plots don't connect.

That's not entirely true. A few of the "FF" games take place in the same world (Ivalice) and they make vague references to each other. But like the "Xenoblade" games, you don't have to follow any of that to get the story for any one game.

Fred.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I don't know brehs. I think some of the DLC is after the main story for a couple reasons.

1. The Expansion Pass mentions "new quests" (January 2018) and "new story content" (Fall, 2018). They make it a point to differentiate the two.

So we're definitely getting something added to the main story.

2. I guess you could say "well, it could be during the game"....which is possible but the "new story content" drops damn near a year after the game has been out. I've never heard of a dev taking that much time on a DLC unless it added significant content to the game.

Fred.
A strong possibility that it's actually a prequel

• Dap
Reactions: hex

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
A strong possibility that it's actually a prequel

Wouldn't a prequel just be "Xenoblade Chronicles"? :jbhmm:

Anyway, they need to port that game and X to the Switch. Might as well, especially with how well this game is being received. They're leaving money on the table.

Fred.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina

Anyway, they need to port that game and X to the Switch. Might as well, especially with how well this game is being received. They're leaving money on the table.

Fred.
there's definitely enough unfinished stuff regarding Torna and the Aegis War

I hope they don't go that route though

• Dap

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

Fred.

there's definitely enough unfinished stuff regarding Torna and the Aegis War

I hope they don't go that route though

The logo for the expansion pass is Torna's emblem. So, pretty sure they'll play a heavy role and that would mean it would need to be some sort of prequel or midquel.
I really, really, really want to use Malos as a blade with the Monado.
I also want that nice blue blade Malos was using at the start of the game

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The logo for the expansion pass is Torna's emblem. So, pretty sure they'll play a heavy role and that would mean it would need to be some sort of prequel or midquel.
I really, really, really want to use Malos as a blade with the Monado.
I also want that nice blue blade Malos was using at the start of the game

In the New Game Plus mode (whenever they add it) Monolith said you'd be able to have "those Blades" join your team. Not sure who they mean unless they're talking about Torna....but I'm not sure how they would explain that, story-wise.

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Another thing....not saying this is confirmation for post-game content or anything....but something weird I noticed is, if you leveled up during the last fight, even though it puts you back to the save point before the battle, your level will be whatever it was after the last fight. If that makes sense.

Fred.

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
I'm in the right spot for Newt's requites quest, and nothing happening. :francis: why can't life just be easy.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
That's not entirely true. A few of the "FF" games take place in the same world (Ivalice) and they make vague references to each other. But like the "Xenoblade" games, you don't have to follow any of that to get the story for any one game.

Fred.
Nah this game is directly connected to Xenoblade 1. There's no vague references here. Granted you can play this game and not play the other one and completely have that stuff go over your head and still enjoy it but you can do that with most sequels.

The cleverness of Xenoblade 2 is that it's written in such a way that the connection to 1 isn't technically spoiled when you see it so you could play them in either order and enjoy both. When you reach the connected content in either game you'll recognize it from the other game.

666 ReVeNGe 666

TROLL IS LIFE
Daps
Nah this game is directly connected to Xenoblade 1. There's no vague references here. Granted you can play this game and not play the other one and completely have that stuff go over your head and still enjoy it but you can do that with most sequels.

The cleverness of Xenoblade 2 is that it's written in such a way that the connection to 1 isn't technically spoiled when you see it so you could play them in either order and enjoy both. When you reach the connected content in either game you'll recognize it from the other game.
How does it connect?

Put me on.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina

I think there's more easter eggs than direct connections...

The game is about as connected to XB1 as FF13 is to Agito. Unless you really committed to XB1, you would only catch two things. There's LOT of jeulzing trying to fit pieces together though.

• Dap

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I think there's more easter eggs than direct connections...

The game is about as connected to XB1 as FF13 is to Agito. Unless you really committed to XB1, you would only catch two things. There's LOT of jeulzing trying to fit pieces together though.

No it's not Easter eggs either. It's only that they wrote this game so that when the connection is revealed it doesn't spoil the other game but you'll miss major plot twist of this game if you never played Xenoblade 1 because when they're revealed you won't even know they're plot twist. This game expands upon core story elements of Xenoblade 1.

I guess the best comparison I can come up with is Danganronpa V3. Can you play that game having never played 1 and 2 and enjoy it? Yeah but major plot elements are gonna be lost on you if you haven't played 1 and 2. These are huge plot twist that will turn into duds for you if you haven't played the other two.

It's better with Xenoblade because V3 will somewhat ruin 1 and 2 if you play V3 before them and depending on your reaction to V3's plot twist it will completely ruin them. with Xenoblade you could play 2 then go back and play 1 and you'd have a similar reaction to a person that played 1 then played 2.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
No it's not Easter eggs either. It's only that they wrote this game so that when the connection is revealed it doesn't spoil the other game but you'll miss major plot twist of this game if you never played Xenoblade 1 because when they're revealed you won't even know they're plot twist. This game expands upon core story elements of Xenoblade 1.

I guess the best comparison I can come up with is Danganronpa V3. Can you play that game having never played 1 and 2 and enjoy it? Yeah but major plot elements are gonna be lost on you if you haven't played 1 and 2. These are huge plot twist that will turn into duds for you if you haven't played the other two.

It's better with Xenoblade because V3 will somewhat ruin 1 and 2 if you play V3 before them and depending on your reaction to V3's plot twist it will completely ruin them. with Xenoblade you could play 2 then go back and play 1 and you'd have a similar reaction to a person that played 1 then played 2.
I think you're missing what I'm getting at - there's very, very little that depends on XB1 to have an impact in XB2.

Like that bit from
Shulk's speech and the Monado attacks... some stuff about the world tree/klaus
- what does that knowledge change about anything XB2 presents the player? Its not substantial at all.

Its not like that changes anything in X2

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
How does it connect?

Put me on.
If you never played Xenoblade 1 I would suggest not reading this and playing that game. It's a better game than Xenoblade 2 anyway.
They share the same orgin story to a point. The antagonist of the original Xenoblade is the missing half of the architect in Xenoblade 2. The games happen in parallel. The world of Xenoblade 2 is the original world Xenoblade's world was the parallel world created when Klaus split in half destroying the original world. The reason Rex and Pyra ave to hurry up and stop Malos is because Shulk is about to kill Klaus' other half and then architect will die.
I think you're missing what I'm getting at - there's very, very little that depends on XB1 to have an impact in XB2.

Like that bit from
Shulk's speech and the Monado attacks... some stuff about the world tree/klaus
- what does that knowledge change about anything XB2 presents the player? Its not substantial at all.

Its not like that changes anything in X2
You only say this because they wrote this game in such a way that it doesn't spoil the other game even if they are connected. Like I said a person could play 2 then 1 or play 1 then 2 and they would probably have a similar reaction to the twists. Many video game sequels do this though especially when they span different console generations.

I've never played the Witcher 3 but people cay you can skip 1 and 2 and still enjoy 3 on it's own for example. You could skip Dragon Age 1 and 2 and understand what happens in Dragon Age Inquisition. There's gonna be content in Inquisition that loses it's impact if you didn't play 1 or 2 but that too is the case for most video game sequels.