Xbox Developer Direct 2024 | Trailers Posted | (CONSOLE WAR NEUTRAL THREAD)

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
For one it confirmed what i wanted/expected the game to be. Also the graphics and setting were cool, i like the fact that it’s colorful and not just drab greys and browns like most fantasy games. I like that they are going deep into choice and consequences which is what’s missing in a lot of modern RPGs, i think Starfiled was lacking in that aspect. The combat looks like most any other first person hack n slash, but i did like the part about being able to switch on the fly and dual wield different weapons to come up with combinations.

But yeah, the biggest thing for me was the confirmation that this is obsidian making an obsidian ass game.

You could look at Pentiment in trailers and say “there was nothing impressive there” and i would have agreed with you. Turned out to be one of my favorite games of recent times due to the story, conversations, and choice/consequnce gameplay. All things that don’t really show up in a 2 minute trailer like that.

I’m more of a gameplay guy

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I’m more of a gameplay guy
Making choices IS gameplay.

That’s what RPGs are.

You claim a turn based RPG is the game of forever.

Ignorant people would and do look at turn based games and say the combat is trash and “just selecting stuff from a menu”

Don’t be ignorant for console wars daps. Do better with yourself :smh:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Making choices IS gameplay.

That’s what RPGs are.

You claim a turn based RPG is the game of forever.

Ignorant people would and do look at turn based games and say the combat is trash and “just selecting stuff from a menu”

Don’t be ignorant for console wars daps. Do better with yourself :smh:

Zap zap is choices?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Zap zap is choices?
Yes. You’ve played an RPG before. You have to make the choice find/buy that weapon and evolve that skill set before you Zap Zap. You also have to decide if those are the right enemies for a Zap or if you should Zip them….but uhh ohh you don’t have any Zips, might be time to step your Zip game up so you can beat these enemies.

You know, how RPGS work :stopitslime:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Yes. You’ve played an RPG before. You have to make the choice find/buy that weapon and evolve that skill set before you Zap Zap. You also have to decide if those are the right enemies for a Zap or if you should Zip them….but uhh ohh you don’t have any Zips, might be time to step your Zip game up so you can beat these enemies.

You know, how RPGS work :stopitslime:

I dunno, im much more of a rise of ronin guy, i like pure action and skill based shyt :sas1:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
We're all adults here, the usual suspects know what type of posting we don't want itt.
9fb154176b197e3e3e950b8bba5cbdee.jpg

:shaq2:

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps

Maybe next time I'll post a list of banned words lmao

I also learned that some people follow Twitter accounts that are primarily focused on console wars. I had no idea that was a thing:snoop:

@Koba St was the only problem child

I think comparisons between Great Circle and Uncharted were inevitable considering Uncharted was a spiritual adaption of Indiana Jones. But when people start talking about 'xbox doesn't have a third person Uncharted type game' nikka just buy a playstation and play Uncharted then, they made 5 games:why:

Mfs loyal to a piece of plastic, just buy both :skip:

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
For one it confirmed what i wanted/expected the game to be. Also the graphics and setting were cool, i like the fact that it’s colorful and not just drab greys and browns like most fantasy games. I like that they are going deep into choice and consequences which is what’s missing in a lot of modern RPGs, i think Starfiled was lacking in that aspect. The combat looks like most any other first person hack n slash, but i did like the part about being able to switch on the fly and dual wield different weapons to come up with combinations.

Based on what I saw in that trailer, the choices were as surface level as any other rpg and even worse compared to anything obsidian. My main criticism was the combat had terrible collision, enemies didn't react enough to attacks and movement looked awkward. Like I said before, I think this was shown off a bit too early, and will eventually be pushed back.

You could look at Pentiment in trailers and say “there was nothing impressive there” and i would have agreed with you. Turned out to be one of my favorite games of recent times due to the story, conversations, and choice/consequnce gameplay. All things that don’t really show up in a 2 minute trailer like that.

Here I completely disagree, Pentiment was instantly lauded for its medieval manuscript art style, they didn't need to sell you on the gameplay.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Based on what I saw in that trailer, the choices were as surface level as any other rpg and even worse compared to anything obsidian. My main criticism was the combat had terrible collision, enemies didn't react enough to attacks and movement looked awkward. Like I said before, I think this was shown off a bit too early, and will eventually be pushed back.

Here I completely disagree, Pentiment was instantly lauded for its medieval manuscript art style, they didn't need to sell you on the gameplay.

It’s almost like the two pillars of an rpg they tried to sell us on (the combat and the choice and reactive roleplaying) fell completely flat.

Narrator woman: “or you can choose to fight the character and once you go back to the village see how things changed”

3402d01785b33494f57ca4e2eec6076e.gif

Like i hate to bring it up again, but we literally just got done playing Baldur’s Gate 3. That whole dialogue tree system felt a decade old in comparison. You gotta bring more than that.

They would have been better off walking us through a complete quest line

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
It’s almost like the two pillars of an rpg they tried to sell us on (the combat and the choice and reactive roleplaying) fell completely flat.

Narrator woman: “or you can choose to fight the character and once you go back to the village see how things changed”

3402d01785b33494f57ca4e2eec6076e.gif

Like i hate to bring it up again, but we literally just got done playing Baldur’s Gate 3. That whole dialogue tree system felt a decade old in comparison. You gotta bring more than that.

They would have been better off walking us through a complete quest line

It was a poor showing, 'once you go back to the village see how things changed' :heh: felt like I was watching something from e3 15 years ago.

We know nothing is going to change, it's too much work, we know you can't do that. What matters is if the characters change, and those stale dialog choices didn't give me any confidence that they would.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It was a poor showing, 'once you go back to the village see how things changed' :heh: felt like I was watching something from e3 15 years ago.

We know nothing is going to change, it's too much work, we know you can't do that. What matters is if the characters change, and those stale dialog choices didn't give me any confidence that they would.

Thats why i have more faith in fable, because i think the emphasis in that series was always that the world changed around you. Stuff like this is just going to continue to be bethesda lite

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
They don’t show it probably for spoiler/time reasons but the way they explained how that decision could work out sounded in depth just like any other obsidian game.

As far as enemies reacting to your attacks i guess we watched a different trailer cause every time somebody got hit they reacted to the attack.
Naw pentimment was met with lots of “what is this” “where’s the gameplay” until it came out and just clicked with people.