Xbots celebrating that Ragnarok was beaten by Elden Ring at the GOTY award

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
to be fair I’m also glad elden ring won for the fact some dudes would’ve been incorrigible if GOW won…it would’ve been worse than this forced thread made to drum up “controversy” lol
Nah breh, that's the worst way to look at it. If gow was truly game of the year, it would be kinda shytty to want it to lose just because a handful of posters on thecoli are schizo about console wars.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
This is a narrative overran by ADHD muhfukkas and bots. There's anywhere from 20-60+ hours of game in Ragnorak. There's maybe 2-3 hours of cinematics throughout the whole game collectively. Ya'll clowns need to hop off it. Take those occasional 2-3 minute cinematics to take a bathroom break or eat your breakfast first.

Same fools that want to be pressing buttons from start to finish off a game be the same ones that complain about a game being button marshy.
GOW IS button mashy. And the problem is that they take control away from you every couple minutes it seems. Outside of the light exploration available there’s always a cutscene, qte event, or forced cinematic animation waiting to take control away from you.

In boss fights after a couple hits they give you a qte or some cinematic shyt. Bunch of forced walking sections and squeeze through this bullshyt for cinematic reasons.

It makes the game boring to play.

To me the GOW style cinematic action games are like marvel movies. Heavy on the spectacle, light on substance.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Nah breh, that's the worst way to look at it. If gow was truly game of the year, it would be kinda shytty to want it to lose just because a handful of posters on thecoli are schizo about console wars.

but it wasn’t which is why I said “also”…even on here, you literally felt the energy shift as HFW got pushed aside for this game…I don’t think I said or implied anything about wanting this game to win while thinking GOW was the “better” game

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
Just started the ps4 god of war cause I never played it and wanted to run Ragnarok. But looks like I’ll put that plan on hold and start up Elden ring:ehh:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If not for elden ring gow would have won, if not for gow horzion would have won. The fact that elden ring dropped at the start of the year and still won out against gow that just dropped literally a month ago says a ton
gow is my personal goty, and I have a ton of issues with the game. But it's clear a ton of TLC was put into the game even if I have my issues with it, it was a great experience overall.

But it's clear that elden ring was just on a whole different level as far as how it touched people, gow moved and stirred up emotions similar to how a movie would. Elden ring was more of a video game moving experience, the last game that had the masses like this was botw, who elden ring ironically has a ton of striking similarities to.

Gow for the casual sony stans is probably the best game they played all year, it hits all the notes they like. Elden ring grabbed, casuals, hardcore and newbies and thrust them into a world and genre a lot of them had Zero interest in and loved.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Just started the ps4 god of war cause I never played it and wanted to run Ragnarok. But looks like I’ll put that plan on hold and start up Elden ring:ehh:
Nah I wouldn't do that, Id say play gow 2018 then rag, then play elden rings.
If you get pulled into elden ring no telling when you'll get back to the other 2 games lol.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
but it wasn’t which is why I said “also”…even on here, you literally felt the energy shift as HFW got pushed aside for this game…I don’t think I said or implied anything about wanting this game to win while thinking GOW was the “better” game
It game is great, it would have won any other year but nothing was beating a game like elden ring. Just thought that was a weird statement.

I don't think anyone was saying HFW was a contender before gow came out.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
GOW IS button mashy. And the problem is that they take control away from you every couple minutes it seems. Outside of the light exploration available there’s always a cutscene, qte event, or forced cinematic animation waiting to take control away from you.

In boss fights after a couple hits they give you a qte or some cinematic shyt. Bunch of forced walking sections and squeeze through this bullshyt for cinematic reasons.

It makes the game boring to play.

To me the GOW style cinematic action games are like marvel movies. Heavy on the spectacle, light on substance.
Maybe in easy difficulty. Otherwise, not really.

Cinematic finishers has been a staple of GOW sind the first one. Which outside of select boss fights, are typically optional way to kill. To whine about that "taking control away" is nitpicking at its finest. Did you complain about control being taking away in Ninja Gaiden games after landing a full weapon charge attack? Cuz they're practically the same, with just different implementation.

Exploration is hardly light in Ragnorak either, but you quit the game early, so you don't know no better.

Only point you have here is the squeeze through tight corridors, which was overdone here (liable to cross gen shyt). Even those tho are for a few seconds, so it's mostly a nitpick.

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Cinematic finishers has been a staple of GOW sind the first one. Which outside of select boss fights, are typically optional way to kill. To whine about that "taking control away" is nitpicking at its finest. Did you complain about control being taking away in Ninja Gaiden games after landing a full weapon charge attack? Cuz they're practically the same, with just different implementation.
No. In ninja gaiden you are still engaged because you have to keep hitting the button to chop off a limb and the action is driven by you and the moves you decided to do. In GOW you land a few blows then the camera pans in for a clash a swords and some dialog.

In one the action is driven by you the player in the other you gone watch some shyt whether you want to or not.
Exploration is hardly light in Ragnorak either, but you quit the game early, so you don't know no better.

Only point you have here is the squeeze through tight corridors, which was overdone here (liable to cross gen shyt). Even those tho are for a few seconds, so it's mostly a nitpick.
It’s light in comparison to most other “open world” games. And that really wasn’t a complaint. There’s enough of it. It’s just outside that the experience is very much curated. You are just along for the ride, as opposed to feeling like you are in control.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
the problem with gow rag is it's doubling down on 2018, which usually is a good thing but if you liked kratos from 1-3 and then played 2018 and didn't like "baby sitting" atreus or how whiny he was or kratos being much MUCH more chill and pacifist or the combat change up from action to more close up over the shoulder then yeah then rag pushes that even more among other things.
The story isn't as solid, there are just a lot of things that can kill the vibe in gow rag, and just like a movie experience once you find something that doesn't sit right with you or doesn't make sense it CAN sour the whole movie. Even if the movie is still great...
The game shouldn't be called gow because not one gow wanted to actually go to war.... most time they didn't even want to fight.