BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
now we on a topic I have questions about ...

what drives a good movie ... the writer or the director .... every talking about patty on WW ... because its her vision .. but what about the script... same goes for whenever big name directors are on something...

can a director turn a lousy script into a good movie and can they destroy a great script....
Im under the belief that you HAVE to have a good script before anything happens. Then...
Maybe itll all work out!
Im a BORN a$$hole! I HAD to be.
I expect the best outa ALL who Im working with!
Im sorry. Ive built playgrounds and parking lots in GHETTOS!
To make a fukkin comic book movie???

Cmon man!!

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Aren't scripts just treated as guidelines a lot of times? I think writers are considered last.
Scenes are changed while shooting, scenes are left out due to editing, and of course producers have a say pre-production, during shooting and post.

Yup both ways. A great director can elevate a meh script or even do their own rewrites on it and a bad director can take something great on paper and just make it crappy. Patty gets the props on WW because she collaborated with her writer along with Snyder, and this is the vision they carved out. So while its not completely on par with what the homie James Gunn does with guardians or Tarantino where they write it and direct it, they still oversee every aspect of the project. Much like Sam Mendes gets credit for what he did on Skyfall even though he didn't write it. He helped shape the script and the story ideas in the beginning and worked with the team to get it to where he wanted it.

So basically a movie "belongs" more to the director than the writer?

now I wonder has a writer lost an Oscar because the director screwed up their movie

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
So basically a movie "belongs" more to the director than the writer?

now I wonder has a writer lost an Oscar because the director screwed up their movie

Yeah because the director can shape it on set. Normally writers aren't allowed on set lol. Normally. Some people make exceptions. But then you get movies where it's clearly a combination of the two. The social network is a David Fincher movie. But it's written by Sorkin and his voice comes through just as strong as Fincher's. He won the oscar that year but fincher didn't win for best director

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why not use Llilandras sister as the evil one you know being she's actually EVIL?:dwillhuh:

Or they could use D'ken, who was also actually evil. Lilandra and the X-men fought him together to save the universe not long after Jean first became the Phoenix.

Dken.jpg

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah you're right. So yeah you gotta fill in 7 years worth of backstory, which can be done but you gotta be really talented to pull it off and this is a first time dude...idk if he's got the chops

turns out this is not Simon's first time directing ...
he did the reshoots of the famous critically acclaimed Fantastic Four reboot we all loved about the negative space.

While it's never been 100% confirmed, it has been widely reported by very reliable sources that Simon Kinberg directed those disastrous Fantastic Four reshoots. He also wrote the scenes which turned the reboot into the complete and utter mess we ended up with, so if he can drop the ball so spectacularly with that property, there's nothing to say the same won't be the case with X-Men: Dark Phoenix.

While Kinberg may have worked on a lot of big movies, he's not a director, and The Mummy is a perfect example of what so often happens when a writer (Alex Kurtzman in this case) attempts to take on a new role behind the camera. From Kate Mara's hilariously awful wig to the dreadful action scenes, the clearly reshot scenes which made up the second half of Fantastic Four were a joke which may be all the proof we need that Kinberg is far from ready to take the helm of a big budget blockbuster like this one.

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
What really saddens me about Apocalypse is that it should have been awesome. Had it been less bloated and focused on the right characters (Storm, Cyclops), it could have crushed the buildings. An X-men movie set in the actual 1980s should be a classic in every sense of the word. You even have a character who literally wears their sunglasses at night :wow:

I know a lot of cats like to romanticize the 90's because the cartoon was hot, but real talk, the late 70's/early 80s were always the true golden age of the X-men.

I'm really worried about this new Dark Phoenix flick. I don't think they've learned their lesson from Apocalypse, but I'd like to be wrong on this. And I'm not even saying they have to give the rights back to Disney.
My first comic I ever bought was X-Men Volume 2 #1 and I grew up on the 90's animated series but my cousin and uncle had a lot of bronze age stuff and I read through it as a child and loved that shyt! I fell in love with it and was the best time for the X-Men. I hate to be :flabbynsick: but that period of comics was magical. :to:

When I think of the X-Men this is what I have in mind.
161e6ada3df18a34a9f9e1834d364049.jpg

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
My first comic I ever bought was X-Men Volume 2 #1 and I grew up on the 90's animated series but my cousin and uncle had a lot of bronze age stuff and I read through it as a child and loved that shyt! I fell in love with it and was the best time for the X-Men. I hate to be :flabbynsick: but that period of comics was magical. :to:

When I think of the X-Men this is what I have in mind.
161e6ada3df18a34a9f9e1834d364049.jpg
:wow: X-Men were the shyt. They have done some cool shyt with the movies but yeah they have never reached these heights.

BuddahMAC

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:wow: X-Men were the shyt. They have done some cool shyt with the movies but yeah they have never reached these heights.

The thing that made those comics so good was the serialized storytelling & constant character building Claremont did, which is something that lends more to television format than movies which have to shortcut to the spectacle.

The main reason both parts of the Phoenix Saga work so well is the slow build of realizing Jean has become a cosmic entity climaxing as her saving the universe and then, after hitting that peak, the slow breakdown and manipulation turning her into the Black Queen and then Dark Phoenix.

To try and shove all that into a 2-3 hour movie is really a disservice to that story & that character work, especially when you have to eliminate so many aspects of the story to tell it in that format. It'll end up being she saves the universe but her powers get away from her, fries the broccoli people and the Shi'ar have to kill her because of it, which is a completely different and unfulfilling character arc compared to Jean being seduced & overcome by her power, lusts & desires.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
The thing that made those comics so good was the serialized storytelling & constant character building Claremont did, which is something that lends more to television format than movies which have to shortcut to the spectacle.

The main reason both parts of the Phoenix Saga work so well is the slow build of realizing Jean has become a cosmic entity climaxing as her saving the universe and then, after hitting that peak, the slow breakdown and manipulation turning her into the Black Queen and then Dark Phoenix.

To try and shove all that into a 2-3 hour movie is really a disservice to that story & that character work, especially when you have to eliminate so many aspects of the story to tell it in that format. It'll end up being she saves the universe but her powers get away from her, fries the broccoli people and the Shi'ar have to kill her because of it, which is a completely different and unfulfilling character arc compared to Jean being seduced & overcome by her power, lusts & desires.
I agree. But when you think of even TV it would have to be a long ass series that ignored short-term commercial gains to get the full effect. X-Men is kinda like Watchmen, impossible to duplicate in any other form than written.
It would take a huge super dedicated undertaking g to do right.