X-MEN Apocalypse (Official Thread)

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
And I'm saying I don't know for sure this guy is a great or even a good actor. I saw him in one thing and completely didn't bother to look up his name after the fact. I see he is getting a lot of work which is a good sign but that doesn't automatically mean he is good. Hayden Christensen was getting a lot of work at one time and was plucked from obscurity to be the face of Star Wars and we see that didn't really work out. I'm saying go for someone more well known, it is less of a risk and gravitas is more likely.

Well then it's on you to do your due diligence and look at his work. The casting directors do the same homework. He got a lot of props for Inside Llewyn Davis from last year (as he should've) and he's getting props for his flick coming out soon. Again, it's not the 90s anymore where they're going to plug someone in just because of name value. I'm not trying to go back to that shyt and have comic book flicks riddled with people just because they're a name while they sleepwalk through the work or not take it seriously or just get a check. Batman and Robin and Batman Forever to a degree are great examples of that, along with Superman 3 and 4. Comic book flicks have come a long long long way where before you needed a star like Brando or Nicholson or Hackman to sell it because the public would think it's silly but now? These are consistently the highest grossing movies of the year, they create stars, and the characters have become synonymous in pop culture. High profile directors are doing them when before they wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. It's to the point where Will Smith is considering doing one and Ben Afleck, Oscar nominated writer/director, the man who directed the best picture winner in Argo, is going to be Batman. Times have changed man

Kartel13

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I definitely thought they would have gone for a bigger name/star for Apocalypse. That's the MO of the franchise, especially the Byran Singer movies. Even Kevin Bacon as the villain in First Class was bigger than this. There's no real hype with this casting as he's barely been in anything mainstream.

Just hope they don't pull a Stargate and have him looking effeminate :scust:. There are already two imposing alphas(Wolverine and Magneto) in this.
They never casted big stars for these movies. The bigges star they probably casted was patrick stewart and maybe james mccavoy.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Well then it's on you to do your due diligence and look at his work. The casting directors do the same homework. He got a lot of props for Inside Llewyn Davis from last year (as he should've) and he's getting props for his flick coming out soon. Again, it's not the 90s anymore where they're going to plug someone in just because of name value. I'm not trying to go back to that shyt and have comic book flicks riddled with people just because they're a name while they sleepwalk through the work or not take it seriously or just get a check. Batman and Robin and Batman Forever to a degree are great examples of that, along with Superman 3 and 4. Comic book flicks have come a long long long way where before you needed a star like Brando or Nicholson or Hackman to sell it because the public would think it's silly but now? These are consistently the highest grossing movies of the year, they create stars, and the characters have become synonymous in pop culture. High profile directors are doing them when before they wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. It's to the point where Will Smith is considering doing one and Ben Afleck, Oscar nominated writer/director, the man who directed the best picture winner in Argo, is going to be Batman. Times have changed man
I didn't see Inside Llewyn Davis (sue me) and they you point to a movie that isn't even out yet? What due dilligence?! At least concede dude hasn't been in a lot of movies. Don't act like I'm off base.
Richard Donner, Joel Schumacher and Tim Burton weren't high profile directors?
Yer all over the place. You say they don't need stars and then point out they got a really big star considering a role and another to play Batman. Which is it B?!
Just because your a big name doesn't mean you are going to sleep walk thru a role. Unless you think Ben Affleck and Will Smith plan to do that. lol

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I didn't see Inside Llewyn Davis (sue me) and they you point to a movie that isn't even out yet? What due dilligence?! At least concede dude hasn't been in a lot of movies. Don't act like I'm off base.
Richard Donner, Joel Schumacher and Tim Burton weren't high profile directors?
Yer all over the place. You say they don't need stars and then point out they got a really big star considering a role and another to play Batman. Which is it B?!
Just because your a big name doesn't mean you are going to sleep walk thru a role. Unless you think Ben Affleck and Will Smith plan to do that. lol

Tim Burton is a big director NOW breh..at the time he wasn't. You gotta think about this stuff from then as opposed to now. Superman and Lethal Weapon became Donner's claim to fame, he wasn't a big name before he took superman. Burton became much much bigger off the success of Batman but at the time, the studio was taking a chance. As opposed to now where big name directors will openly politic for the jobs or they aren't even needed. Joss Whedon, Brian Singer, Sam Rami, The Russo Brothers, Marc Webb..these weren't well known guys at the time not household names by any stretch of the imagination. They were known to a niche group of people who loved buffy or watch community or evil dead, but they weren't commercially tested directors.

My point is that the reputation of comic book flicks has come a long long long way and you don't need a guy like Afleck to do it but he will and he'll give a shyt about it as opposed to Brando (no diss) a guy who only took the role because they paid him a fortune to do it and the studio NEEDED him. That's the difference between now and then: Batman sells itself, superman sells itself, spider-man, x men, whatever; they all sell themselves. In the 90s and 80s, you needed a big name to help sell it you don't need that anymore. It's a plus or a bonus now as opposed to a necessity.

And I'd hesitate to call Joel Shcumacher a big time director but I guess that's in the eye of the beholder

And he has been in a lot of movies breh, check his IMDB rap sheet. Just go out to find them it's simple.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
That's all I've been saying this entire argument over Isaac being cast. It would be a definite plus and added gravitas to get a big name. No need to reply we agree now. lol

I think it's that gravitas word that's tripping me up because I put that more on the actor than whether I know his name or not. In fact, if he's too well known that can yank me out of it. Like Tom Cruise being Tony Stark just wouldn't work for me because all I'd see is Tom Cruise but I feel you. It's a preference.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
And he has been in a lot of movies breh, check his IMDB rap sheet. Just go out to find them it's simple.

Oh shyt yer right he was in Drive, the Bourne Legacy and Body of Lies (a movie I really like and have viewed multiple times) all movies I have seen and he didn't stand out in any of them. Not a good sign.:patrice:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Oh shyt yer right he was in Drive, the Bourne Legacy and Body of Lies (a movie I really like and have viewed multiple times) all movies I have seen and he didn't stand out in any of them. Not a good sign.:patrice:

He was a bum in two of those flicks (Bourne and Body of Lies) check out Llewyn davis breh..and Robin Hood. He plays a snidely ass Prince John

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Halle was a star breh. Not on the same level after X Men but she was definitely a star..or maybe I'm just thinking about to the black community
I think she was to the black community, mostly because she was fine.

Bulworth, BAPS, supporting role in Executive Decision, Flintstones?