Wu-Tang and white people

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
We Tang gained worldwide commercial appeal when thry dropped Wu Tang Forever Double Album

Last edited:

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
I was put unto them by... you guessed it, a rich white boy. A jew pretending to be Italian pretending to be black.... Imagine listening to Buck tha Devil and being said devil...

You and Your Heroes was the first time i noticed that jew and the f word were scrambled on hip hop albums (but thats another story)

They were never gonna be allowed to prosper dude said What you need to do is get an angle on an anglo, use your bucks on some ku klux. Just imagine someone saying that shyt today. Jay-Z tried to were a NGE Chain and was heavily criticized yet people used to advocate taking white people off the planet on wax back in the day.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
:what:

Kanye
Drake
CuDi
Dead Prez
BlackStar
Common

Shall I continue?

Yes please
Dead Prez Black Star & Common were pre 2000. I never heard Drake make a conscious song, Kanye made a couple but that's different from being militant. It's one thing to point out fukked up shyt, It's quite another to advocate for a whole new system and the destruction of this system.

Point out to me a song really criticizing cops killing Black people post 2001 that popped off, Forget songs that advocated clapping back at the cops.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Looking back at it now that was the death Knell for Hip-hop with substance. Now don't get me wrong a normal Wu song would be about 2 or three different things at the same time. Usually it was about Robbing nikkas or selling coke and about Black power or something esoteric at the same time. But after that nobody put out albums that wasn't about partying and bullshyt or killing nikkas until Jay Cole and Kendrick came long.
It's crazy to me when you look at how conscious rap was in the 1990s and how quickly it went to shyt. I had high hopes for Kanye for a little bit and then he went off the rails. Besides that like you say it took all the way to Kendrick to inspire me. There are others that make some great shyt (I'm always repping Shad, Chance tries) but only a few have risen above the underground scene and it's hard to imagine how a group like Arrested Development could become the biggest sellers on the planet for a moment.

I made a 70+ song conscious playlist for my baby girl and I swear 90% of the tracks are 15+ years old.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Yes please
Dead Prez Black Star & Common were pre 2000. I never heard Drake make a conscious song, Kanye made a couple but that's different from being militant. It's one thing to point out fukked up shyt, It's quite another to advocate for a whole new system and the destruction of this system.

Point out to me a song really criticizing cops killing Black people post 2001 that popped off, Forget songs that advocated clapping back at the cops.
Joyner Lucas, who is corny to me but makes songs like that.

Listen

Tell me moar
Daps
Reppin
A few Floors Down from the Daily Grind
I am old enough and white enough to speak on this:

1) white teens in the burbs especially are bored OUT OF THEIR MINDS.

2) When MTV came out and all these kids in the burbs started getting cable, it was a whole new world opened up to them, from the hair bands to grunge and punk to hip hop.

3) Infinitely bored and infinitely privileged (whether poor or not) they look for things that change there ‘normal’ situations and music and cultures are some of the easiest to cling to.

4) The first time I saw the video for “Bring the Pain” me and all my friends were like
:merchant:

EVERYTHING about them was different. We’re they a group? We’re they a family? How many members were they? Was it an entire block of people in the group? What are those beats? Why the Kung fu? Are they part Asian?? Why is one of them called Old Dirty b*stard? WTF is a Method Man? There voices were SO unique man...like to this day, whose voice sounds like Method Mans? Who else raps with a lipstick speech impediment like Rza? ODB???

5) They became scary, and dope and different all at once...but then they also became approachable in a way that was unexpected. ODB has a lot to do with that.

While white people my age love all sorts of hip hop artists still, there are 3 that made a weird leap into a special place: Wu Tang, A Tribe Called Quest and Snoop Dog.

kingdizzy01

ATXBBOY
Daps
Reppin
ATX x Jersey Devil x Little Caribbean/Flatbush MF
It's not really shocking because Wu Tang Clan were extremely overrated and radio friendly for the white people. That's why they always had a huge following.

All black people I've met had nothing positive to say about Wu Tang.

wtf wierdo shyt is this :heh: negged