WTF!!!! Taylor Swift’s album sold 2.5 million first week. And 1.8 million are pure sales.

Bmezy

All Star
Daps
I don't care much for Taylor, but if this upsets Beyonce & her Beehive fanbase then I'm all for it. GO TAYLOR! YOU DO YOUR THING, GIRL! :salute:

Is there a specific reason why Beyonce gets this much hate.. especially compared to Taylor Swift and her swifties?

I see so many in here uplifting Taylor out of spite for Beyonce and I guess I’m out of the loop understanding why.. all she does is release music and tour lol.. what’s with all the vitriol?

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Is there a specific reason why Beyonce gets this much hate.. especially compared to Taylor Swift and her swifties?

I see so many in here uplifting Taylor out of spite for Beyonce and I guess I’m out of the loop understanding why.. all she does is release music and tour lol.. what’s with all the vitriol?

This. It's really crazy how little drama Beyonce gets into in terms of her engagement with fans and her colleagues, yet she generates so much backlash and disdain. She literally abstains from drama. Doesn't do thirst traps or get sensitive about criticism online. She just does her work. It's really strange and I'm starting to wonder if it's about her being a super rich and celebrated Black woman. Cause if it's not about that, what is all the hate about?

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
This. It's really crazy how little drama Beyonce gets into in terms of her engagement with fans and her colleagues, yet she generates so much backlash and disdain. She literally abstains from drama. Doesn't do thirst traps or get sensitive about criticism online. She just does her work. It's really strange and I'm starting to wonder if it's about her being a super rich and celebrated Black woman. Cause if it's not about that, what is all the hate about?
Seriously

The worst I can say is that her fans try hard to push her as MJ...

But like, that's not even a big deal. She's still damn talented regardless.

Taylor Swift fans are genuinely bad people. They legit harass people and harass her exes too, and try to force you to believe she's a legit poet

Bmezy

All Star
Daps
It’s pretty weird tbh
I watched the Grammys and I think the answer lies in the amount of adoration and reverence she gets from her industry peers specifically. Ppl like Taylor and Adele sell more and has more commercial success, but Beyoncé’s allure as a cultural icon is different entirely. She had a line of top tier celebs doing meet and greets at these award shows as if she wasn’t their peers.

I think ppl just hate just how much she’s loved by pop culture as an institution

FluffyEyes

Mrs. Boss Lady
Daps
Listen? Sure.
Know? I mean, you’d have to really be living under a rock to not know who Taylor Swift is.
She’s the biggest pop star since Michael Jackson just off her music.
She intersected with hip hop through Kanye. So you couldn’t have been a hip hop fan in 2009.
She intersected with reality TV through Kim Kardashian. So you couldn’t have been a Kardashian fan.
All of her album releases and her tour last year were covered in mainstream media. So you couldn’t follow the news.
She was all over the NFL this past year, so you couldn’t be a sports fan.
Her movie was everywhere last year, so you probably didn’t set foot in a theater.
She was a political story this year because right wing media started a conspiracy theory about her and left wing media and mainstream media all covered it. So you at best pay cursory attention to politics and are more likely politically ignorant.

You’d have to get all your news through social media and not ever depart your very insular bubble to not know who she is.

Her ubiquity doesn't determine some sort of extra cultural knowledge. She is one the most accessible artists, imagewise and musically, not some avant garde indie band. Like please.

FluffyEyes

Mrs. Boss Lady
Daps
Right now...she's considered untouchable. A juggernaut. Republicans are still whining about her choices. I came across a fellow California princess last night...she just moved here to Nashville. She said Jay Z and Beyonce are moving here to...she thinks its Beyonce's way to get a grammy here in the country market because shes sick of Taylor winning everything.
This doesn't even make sense. Why would Beyoncé move to Nashville AFTER her album is done and released but not before?? If she wanted to cozy up to them cacs she would've did it during the album process and had them writing and playing on the album. She didn't.
Taylor Swift fans are genuinely bad people. They legit harass people and harass her exes too, and try to force you to believe she's a legit poet
Many of her fans are also extremely racist. They're legitimately horrible.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast

Destiny's Child's 2nd album in 99...she turned on the two girls who formed the group with her. It went on to sell 10 million records. Pretty much why Beyonce is a star..she had them replaced with Michelle and Farrah Franklin. She didn't make her own way like say Britney or Christina..Alicia Keys..even Carrie Underwood was voted into success by that American Idol shyt.

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CT/North-east Caribbean American Crew
It's a cultural thing. We're surrounded by black culture, hip hop is the biggest genre, and we think "black shyt" runs the world but in reality white girls have always run shyt. They like Beyonce and Drake and Rihanna but...they LOVE Taylor Swift. She's transcended a level we don't see often anymore, and I think some black people are shocked or mad because it disproves everything we're told about who the biggest stars are. It ain't Beyonce folks. She's not on Taylor's level.

She's the most powerful artist since Michael Jackson and Prince. People can get mad at that if they want but it's true. She has moved mountains with the album re-release shyt, bundles, vinyl, forcing Spotify to make payout changes, etc.
The thing that makes it so strange and hard to buy is because musical lens can be extremely stratified.

Like if I listen to my old radio stations I would NEVER hear this chick.

Like that anti-hero track posted above, I've never heard it before.

Or much of anything by her outside of the Shakeitoff one from a few years ago that was played in Target.

It just seems super weird to hear a bunch of people going "So n So's the best!" And you're like "Who?".

Very easy to miss this chick if you're not surrounded or adjacent to whiteness.

And when you do see her, it's like this?

This is the biggest star in the world? No edge, no weirdness just milk n cookies in a pop package.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

It's makes the people doing it feel like they're special.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's a cultural thing. We're surrounded by black culture, hip hop is the biggest genre, and we think "black shyt" runs the world but in reality white girls have always run shyt. They like Beyonce and Drake and Rihanna but...they LOVE Taylor Swift. She's transcended a level we don't see often anymore, and I think some black people are shocked or mad because it disproves everything we're told about who the biggest stars are. It ain't Beyonce folks. She's not on Taylor's level.

She's the most powerful artist since Michael Jackson and Prince. People can get mad at that if they want but it's true. She has moved mountains with the album re-release shyt, bundles, vinyl, forcing Spotify to make payout changes, etc.
:wow: man, that's a cold hard truth that many of us choose to not accept.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Destiny's Child's 2nd album in 99...she turned on the two girls who formed the group with her. It went on to sell 10 million records. Pretty much why Beyonce is a star..she had them replaced with Michelle and Farrah Franklin. She didn't make her own way like say Britney or Christina..Alicia Keys..even Carrie Underwood was voted into success by that American Idol shyt.
This is one of the dumbest posts ever.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps

These people either aren’t black or just like being different.

Taylor Swift is literally white mediocrity and basicness personified who has convinces her fans they know her because she lets them in and writes about her personal life like a tumblr girl. They’re literally tuning in to the next chapter - that and her being all ages friendly is why she sells so much. His biggest accomplishment is her commitment to that act for almost two decades whereas all of his peers got tired of being brand disciplined. The only thing people talk about with her is sales like what @Piff Perkins is doing because aside from those industry approved reviews - she’s not considered a stand out talent in any one particular area. She’s the largest gap between talent and success (musically) in music history. Black people aren’t shocked by her success, they’re shocked at how much white women love this mediocrity and relate to it - they literally cannot relate to her so she doesn’t appeal to them. For a black artist to be a superstar they have to excel at something musically and be elite in some way. This girl is an average songwriter, with minimal vocal abilities that plays instruments at a level 1/8 of the talent in HER’s finger. A black version of her could never exist.

Last edited: