Writer's and Actor's Strike 2023: Aaaaand Scene...That's a Wrap!

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
Normally I'd assume there's no way the general public would buy into films & tv generated and "performed" by AI but when you look at a lot of the most popular entertainment of the last 10 years Marvel, DC, video game animations, Star Wars etc, most of this shyt might as well be made by AI.

There is a cultural rot that has set in and as the saying goes "nobody ever lost money underestimating the taste of the American public", so I wanna say human beings would not accept art being made by non-humans but I just don't have faith in people anymore. The canary in the coalmine was when we started calling movies and tv "content".

The ideal scenario is that these strikes cause the industry to completely collapse and something better can be created from its ruins. All these corporations have got to go. They're sucking life from these art forms.

I actually think the canary was reality TV...Once networks saw they could generate ratings and revenue from the Hilton heiress and Lionel Ritchie's daughter doing dumb shyt, slowly but surely, networks stop trying. Discovery and The Learning Channel moved away from scientific programming to nonsensical trash. The idiot box finally lived up to it's name once the millennium turned.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
I went down a bit of a rabbit hole yesterday about Disney intentionally sabotaging the release of Treasure Planet because the animators wanted to unionize and Disney needed an excuse to cut their 2D animation division.

That led me down a rabbit hole about how Disney intentionally sabotaged Strange World so they could have an excuse not to make movies with LGBTQ leads.

And I don't doubt that Disney is intentionally sabotaging Haunted Mansion by putting it out in fukking July during Barbenheimer, probably so they don't have to make any non-MCU or non-Star Wars properties featuring black leads.

I say all this to say it would not surprise me if, the longer these strikes go on, the more these studios intentionally sabotage shows and movies to get out of paying their writers and actors. They already have a built in excuse of so many blockbusters this year underperforming, if not outright bombing.

I expect studios to start throwing movies out there on crowded release dates with little to no promotion (with the excuse that the strikes make it too hard to promote them properly), then when the movies bomb, the studios use them as a tax write off, don't release them on blu-ray or streaming, and claim they're too broke to pay the creators while they pocket all the tax money.

I didn't know that. Disney seems to be behind a bunch of the bad stuff. I was watching FMB and Marc Bernardin was talking about how Disney is the reason why animation writers are not on strike. In the 30s they wanted to join WGA but Disney had them join the Animation Guild. Now they don't have as many privilege's as the WGA because they are the minority in the Animation Guild. Marc Bernardin goes on to say he got $10,500 to write an episode of Masters of the Universe: Revelation compared to the $38,000 he got paid to write an episode of Castle Rock or Star Trek Picard.

If you want to listen you can hear from this time stamped video.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]

Sources said the WGA duo made clear that the guild will not bend on proposals to establish minimum staffing levels in episodic TV and a guaranteed minimum number of weeks of employment. The AMPTP has called those proposals non-starters, and gave no indication on Friday that they’re prepared to change that position.

The SAG-AFTRA strike, which began on July 14, has added another complicating factor in negotiations with the writers.

Sources said Stutzman and Segall indicated that even if the WGA gets a deal, writers will still want to honor all picket lines. That would essentially mean that no one could return to work until both strikes are resolved.

That irked some on the management side, who saw that as adding an additional demand on top of the issues already on the table.