Writer's and Actor's Strike 2023: Aaaaand Scene...That's a Wrap!

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Or A24 doesn't have ridiculous exec overhead (a major problem) and don't have to deal with stockholder expectations since they are not publicly traded. Only have like 300 employees in the company as well.
Plus they stand to benefit from deals to the studios starving for new streaming content so they will make more money if the strike goes on.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
In this case it doesn’t matter what the actual numbers say as far as their current revenue. What matters is they are currently paying pennies for royalties, if it goes up to dollars it’s a huge deal for them even if it is still below rate.
I don’t buy this.

These streaming services are slowly raising rates every year but they will remove content to keep from paying royalties( and lets remember, a lot of their older content isn’t even under streaming rules).

So then add on the AI and likeness rights and the studios are just trying to box creatives into take what we give you no questions asked.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I don’t buy this.

These streaming services are slowly raising rates every year but they will remove content to keep from paying royalties( and lets remember, a lot of their older content isn’t even under streaming rules).

So then add on the AI and likeness rights and the studios are just trying to box creatives into take what we give you no questions asked.

Bingo

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
I don’t buy this.

You actually agreeing with me.

Remember my points are in the framework of the difference between the big studios who run a streaming service and A24.

A24 isn’t running a streaming service so they don’t really care about that at all. The companies that do run streaming services are the ones the strike is really aimed at.

@Rekkapryde also had a great point. The big studios are public companies. Their shareholders want them to keep profits high, meaning keep costs low. They essentially have a mandate to try and pay actors and writers as little as possible and give that value to the shareholders. A24 is a private company.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
You actually agreeing with me.

Remember my points are in the framework of the difference between the big studios who run a streaming service and A24.

A24 isn’t running a streaming service so they don’t really care about that at all. The companies that do run streaming services are the ones the strike is really aimed at.

@Rekkapryde also had a great point. The big studios are public companies. Their shareholders want them to keep profits high, meaning keep costs low. They essentially have a mandate to try and pay actors and writers as little as possible and give that value to the shareholders. A24 is a private company.
No we aren’t agreeing. You’re ignoring the AI and likeness rights which gives a fuller picture of what the problem is. It’s not like residuals is the sticking point and everything else they agree on.

Im saying these streaming services have avenues to increase revenues in the short term. Since I Love Lucy doesn’t fall under the same rules as the Grey Man, we are talking about a relatively small amount of current content.

It’s not like Universal is siding with the WGA, all these studios “ funny accounting” are under scrutiny. Add in the fact they are going back to licensing projects to each other, these numbers for residuals will matter more.

A24 is just in a unique position of low cost and auxiliary revenues being enough to make a small profit.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
F1lh-e2aYAQB-O9
@Bryan Danielson @MidniteJay @Peter Popoff yall greedy