Writer's and Actor's Strike 2023: Aaaaand Scene...That's a Wrap!

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
Well either way it's been over a decade of shyt :mjlol:. As much as the highbrow try to shyt on the genre, but it's the superhero films that have kept Hollywood going for the last decade. Look at all the flops featuring all star casting such as Babylon & Amsterdam(Margot needs Barbie to hit btw), people clearly want new stories with good casting.
:salute: they been pumping out BS for quite some time.

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous

… How the fukk is Zaslav making that much money when WBD has been getting chopped and screwed to pieces under his watch…??? :dwillhuh:

Cuz Hollywood is a farce. These muthafukkas get money, and say “this is movie/tv show is gonna cost X amount”, then skim bread off.

Then there’s the money laundering that goes on with the funding of these movies.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Cuz Hollywood is a farce. These muthafukkas get money, and say “this is movie/tv show is gonna cost X amount”, then skim bread off.

Then there’s the money laundering that goes on with the funding of these movies.
Exactly, You can't tell the difference between a movie that cost 60mil to make and one that cost 100mil to make.

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
Sheeeit I'd be out there like 21

21-savage-amber-rose-slut-walk-1506945224-view-1.png

21 is that nicca for that. I would've been right there with him, do you know how many heaux he probably added to the roster?

:whew:

I wish i was around that way tho, a nicca would be right there next to Hillary's cheeks supporting all these writers/actors and making connections :ohlawd:

Tikal

Coming thru like BLAOW
Daps
Reppin
:ahh:
Pixar is dying because people are waiting for those movies to drop on D+. Everyone is admitting this now.

What breakout movies are there that aren’t big money blockbusters?

One thing I know about business is people will make what makes them money. People are not going to see comedies anymore, hence big studios don’t want to make them. They are firmly in the lane of streaming services now.
Yup and same goes for Marvel. Disney shot themself in the foot with Disney plus. Since movie ticket prices are so high I’ll wait until it comes on Disney plus. And if they stop dropping the movies on Disney+ I’ll drop the service - :yeshrug:either way Disney lose money some way how the set up now

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You guys keep talking about writers being the issue, especially when it comes to tentpole movies and big IP franchises

I don't think you know how this shyt works...

Do you understand that once the script is out of the writer's hands, there are hundreds of decisions and changes that are made without their input?

You do understand that sometimes a writer can watch the final product and see things and hear things that they didn't write happen on screen?

Do you have any idea what the notes process is like on a script of any budget? Let alone a $200m movie?

Have you ever seen an email that contains a document with all of the notes from executives, studio people and producers where one person asks for a change and 2 notes later someone else is asking for another change that is the complete opposite of the first? But you have to find a way to appease both because both of those people are powerful enough to make it so you'll never work again.

You haven't heard the stories of writers completing an entire script and then being told that they need to insert CHARACTER X into at least Y number of scenes in order to fulfil an actor's contractual obligation?

A lot of people's complaints about "writing" and "writers" is predicated on the wrong idea that the script a writer completes is the script that is shot page for page, word for word.

If you ever have the chance, find a "Shooting Script". You'll notice that some pages are white, some pages are blue, some pages are yellow etc. You know why that is?

It's because someone wanted things added, changed, moved, removed and either the original writer, or more often, someone completely different, got paid to do what they were told and make those changes.

Writers aren't just asking for more money, they're asking for a better sense of control. Like, you know, actually being allowed to be on set while the script you wrote is being shot, so that if changes are needed, the actual writer can make them and not a producer or the director who doesn't really care and just wants to go home.
I wonder how this applies to someone like Tarantino, who's writing style is such a part of his celebrity

But I do imagine there are exemptions to this meta and that when your name is high enough up you don't have these problems (?)

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I wonder how this applies to someone like Tarantino, who's writing style is such a part of his celebrity

But I do imagine there are exemptions to this meta and that when your name is high enough up you don't have these problems (?)

I think he went through the same thing when he wrote Natural Born Killers and Oliver Stone brought in additional writers who did a bunch of rewrites he hated. After he blew with Reservoir Dogs, they couldn't tell him shyt. Although he does give his scripts to trusted friends for feedback.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think he went through the same thing when he wrote Natural Born Killers and Oliver Stone brought in additional writers who did a bunch of rewrites he hated. After he blew with Reservoir Dogs, they couldn't tell him shyt. Although he does give his scripts to trusted friends for feedback.
Yea I was thinking the same thing but with True Romance. I always forget he wrote Natural Born Killers :russ:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Zaslav ran discovery and made them a lot of money by going all in on reality type shows. Cheap and quick as hell to make.

You can literally shoot an entire really show season for a million :mjlol:

the people in them make peanuts for those discovery joints.

Meanwhile NBC had to pay the cast of friends 1 MILLION EACH PER EPISODE in the early 00s :dead:

Last edited:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Pixar is dying because people are waiting for those movies to drop on D+. Everyone is admitting this now.

What breakout movies are there that aren’t big money blockbusters?

One thing I know about business is people will make what makes them money. People are not going to see comedies anymore, hence big studios don’t want to make them. They are firmly in the lane of streaming services now.

Yup. They created their own demise and the execs still wanna be paid like it was pre covid.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
You can literally shoot an entire really show season for a million :mjlol:

the people in them make peanuts for those discovery joints.

Meanwhile NBC had to pay the cast of friends 1 million each PER EPISODE in the early 90s :dead:

Yes but the one thing that regular people don’t know is that marketing and advertising time on reality shows sells for a lot less than scripted shows because big brands don’t see value in reality audiences. Even with a popular reality show, networks have to sell the ad time for less because the demographics for reality shows aren’t thought of as people with expendable income.

You ever notice how premium products or premium brands don’t have ads during the commercial breaks of even the most popular reality shows?