Writer's and Actor's Strike 2023: Aaaaand Scene...That's a Wrap!

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Seinfeld isn't the best example FYI. When Netflix purchased the streaming rights to Seinfeld for 500 million, Larry and Jerry absolutely got paid a lot (as they operate as partial owners). Now everyone else is a different story (writers and non-principal cast).

One thing to remember is selling to a streamer for something like that are the terms. Seinfeld is only sold to Netflix for a finite period before they can either renew or shop rights to other places (similar to how The Office moved to Peacock after Netflix stint).

If anything, it would behoove creators to make network tv good again so they can reap the financial records of 90+ episodes. Streaming rarely makes it to that length in episodes.
Only problem with that point is that network TV is pivoting towards reality TV as it's cheaper to produce and will likely pivot even more due to the writer's strike. The money just isn't there in network TV like it used to be.

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
Only problem with that point is that network TV is pivoting towards reality TV as it's cheaper to produce and will likely pivot even more due to the writer's strike. The money just isn't there in network TV like it used to be.
Plus cable will probably be all but non-existent in the next 5 years.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Audiences (and content) have evolved to the point where 90+ episodes of TV is too much of an investment for them. It used to be that 22 episodes was the standard length for a TV season. Now more and more shows, even on network TV, are getting cut to 13, and even 8-10 episodes. The only shows hitting the 22 episode numbers are all the police procedurals and medical dramas, and maybe the odd sitcom or cartoon.

Even if a show hits 90+ episodes, it'll probably take them nearly 10 years to do so as opposed to the 4-5 years it used to, and since those shows are likely to go on to streaming services than air in syndication on cable, that many episodes is actually diminishing returns.

I think the big push studios were making to get shows enough episodes for syndication in the late 2000s/early 2010s was the death of that model. All those Debmar-Mercury 10/90 sitcoms failed, and the ones that actually got to 100 episodes just got burned off and never aired on TV again. Sony tried hard to cut deals with networks to get enough episodes for syndication. Community bombed when it aired in syndication and on Comedy Central (but did very well on Netflix). Til Death was a show that was notorious for getting low ratings, but it kept getting renewed just so it could get the minimum number of episodes for syndication, only for it to still get low ratings and it hasn't aired on TV since.

There are only a few shows that can actually do well in syndication anymore, and there the same ones that have been airing for 20+ years: Fresh Prince, Star Trek The Next Generation, Friends, Law & Order, CSI. And throw in Big Bang Theory and Modern Family for more recent shows.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

My wife would say George has been on his own personal writer's strike for years.

Martin confirms HOTD has been rewritten and re-drafted multiple times, so it doesn't sound like there will be any negative impacts on the show. With other shows if you just have the first draft of a script, it could be trash and need re-writes. So that's good to hear.

He also pointed out the last big strike he was involved in lasted 5 months. If that happens again here, the year will almost be done...

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
@AquaCityBoy up a good point about the same shows being on syndication. I dont know how theres so many shows produced each year and its pretty much same shyt syndicated.

The shows I see are
2 Broke Girls
Big Bang Theory
Young Sheldon
Two and a Half Men
Law and Order SVU
Supernatural
Charmed
Friends
Seinfeld
The Office
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Southpark
George Lopez Show

And these shows run all day multiple hours Iof the same show. I don't know when cable TV got like that but it's terrible. I looked at my TV programming right now and IFC is showing Two and a Half Men for 5 more hours. How the hell is Two and a Half Men an Independent Film:dahell:

Last edited:

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
The shows I see are
2 Broke Girls
Big Bang Theory
Young Sheldon
Two and a Half Men
Law and Order SVU
Supernatural
Charmed
Friends
Seinfeld
The Office
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Southpark
George Lopez Show
One thing I noticed is most of those are either CBS or NBC properties. I get the Buffalo stations up here (WPIX, KTLA, WSBK) where most of those listed air and ABC doesn't have many shows in syndication:

The Rookie
Modern Family
Black-ish
Would voice actors also count in these delegations? Because Teen Titan Go runs almost 24/7 :jbhmm:

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
One thing I noticed is most of those are either CBS or NBC properties. I get the Buffalo stations up here (WPIX, KTLA, WSBK) where most of those listed air and ABC doesn't have many shows in syndication:

The Rookie
Modern Family
Black-ish
Would voice actors also count in these delegations? Because Teen Titan Go runs almost 24/7 :jbhmm:

I think that was always the case with broadcast channels getting lots of syndication but I don't know why. I don't understand why someone like USA wouldn't rerun Burn Notice, Mr Robot, Suits, Psych, or Royal Pains instead of Law & Order SVU all day everyday. If someone knows why let us know please.

Those shows I do see alot. Also add Chicago PD.

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin

It depends on the Production; some Anime titles uses Contract Workers for their English translated version... while stuff like Teen Titans Go will use Union Workers. But yes, the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) does consider Voice Over work to be a part of Acting.

From 2016.