Writer's and Actor's Strike 2023: Aaaaand Scene...That's a Wrap!

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
@MushroomX how many months do you think the strike will last?

Well the longest strike was about 150 Days; 5 Months. But this is when we had Television and Movie Theaters... but for the first time a big, big jump in evolution has happened, Streaming... and people don't want to be fukked over before Streaming REALLY takes off.

Streaming is here to stay as Movie Theaters struggle to stay alive. So what happens if Theaters goes away and everything goes Streaming? Writers are going to be paid in pennies for a script that will generate money. Plus now Actors are thinking of striking as well, with AI also being a sticking point.

Plus Streaming vs. Television brings up a new point; Residuals. Right now in current deals, distribution of old episodes (Say like Seinfeld), they give Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David money to play on Television, but they get nothing on Streaming. So I am sure whatever deal happens, residuals will be a sticking point as Streaming grows and grows.

If we are talking 5 Months, that's October... but I just have a feeling that because we are talking about something that is relatively new (Streaming Service) in terms of new movies/content over Movie Theaters, I really believe writers and actors when it comes time will put their foot down to ensure they get their bread.

However @Dave24 one thing you have to consider as well, the City of Los Angeles. Just like Disney with Florida, Hollywood brings in a ton of money to LA. So if this strikes continues for more than 6-7 months, I bet the City of LA will start applying pressure because business reliant on Catering, Hospitality, Travel, Etc. will be affected as well.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Well the longest strike was about 150 Days; 5 Months. But this is when we had Television and Movie Theaters... but for the first time a big, big jump in evolution has happened, Streaming... and people don't want to be fukked over before Streaming REALLY takes off.

Streaming is here to stay as Movie Theaters struggle to stay alive. So what happens if Theaters goes away and everything goes Streaming? Writers are going to be paid in pennies for a script that will generate money. Plus now Actors are thinking of striking as well, with AI also being a sticking point.

Plus Streaming vs. Television brings up a new point; Residuals. Right now in current deals, distribution of old episodes (Say like Seinfeld), they give Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David money to play on Television, but they get nothing on Streaming. So I am sure whatever deal happens, residuals will be a sticking point as Streaming grows and grows.

If we are talking 5 Months, that's October... but I just have a feeling that because we are talking about something that is relatively new (Streaming Service) in terms of new movies/content over Movie Theaters, I really believe writers and actors when it comes time will put their foot down to ensure they get their bread.

However @Dave24 one thing you have to consider as well, the City of Los Angeles. Just like Disney with Florida, Hollywood brings in a ton of money to LA. So if this strikes continues for more than 6-7 months, I bet the City of LA will start applying pressure because business reliant on Catering, Hospitality, Travel, Etc. will be affected as well.
I think I heard Cali lost 4 Billie last strike; LA lost about 2 Billie. They’re gonna lose more this time around.

You make an excellent point about the city/state hitting the studios with the :ufdup: Didn’t even consider that.

Mr. McDowell

The Brotha's Got His Own Money
Daps
Reppin
Jamaica Estates

Seinfeld isn't the best example FYI. When Netflix purchased the streaming rights to Seinfeld for 500 million, Larry and Jerry absolutely got paid a lot (as they operate as partial owners). Now everyone else is a different story (writers and non-principal cast).

One thing to remember is selling to a streamer for something like that are the terms. Seinfeld is only sold to Netflix for a finite period before they can either renew or shop rights to other places (similar to how The Office moved to Peacock after Netflix stint).

If anything, it would behoove creators to make network tv good again so they can reap the financial records of 90+ episodes. Streaming rarely makes it to that length in episodes.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I agree this will take months, and because I can't see the studios caving on AI it might not be resolved this year at all. Studios are going to need time to get the AI stuff implemented. I think we're going to see a system where the writing room consists of one human curator who provides fixes and rewrites to an AI generated script. It'll be the television version of what you see with Rap Caviar where curators sort what goes into the playlist algorithms. I also think this was always the plan, it simply got sped up by the tech being released to the public too early. In short, studios didn't have time to roll this out like they wanted.

Sometime in the near future we're going to see studios roll out black women and LGBTQ curators as the face of this, as a means of diffusing criticism by co-opting diversity or social justice shyt. We'll hear stories about how the curators are ensuring the AI scripts are diverse and inclusive...moreso than human writing rooms were.

Only way this train stops is if actors and directors refuse to shoot AI-written scripts.

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
If Netflix and Amazon were smart, they would been trying to take advantage right now. Make some deals that the other archaic studios can't. Not sure why they're the ones screwing the writers the most. They're gonna learn to respect the creators :ufdup:

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Seems like writers have less ownership than a musician with a 360 deal. Work-for-hire is a mf.

for companies/industries that are very competitive and are seen as prestigious, you'd be shocked at how poorly you get treated and paid. I watched a YT video about this phenomenon a couple weeks ago.

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
dawg, I just asked it to write me a new episode of house of the dragon, and this is what it gave me:

Sure, here's a new episode of House of the Dragon:
Title: "The Princess and the Rogue"
Synopsis: With tensions rising between the Targaryens and the rogue lords of the Blackfyre rebellion, Princess Rhaenyra must navigate the dangerous political landscape of King's Landing while also dealing with personal demons.
The episode opens with Rhaenyra (Emma D'Arcy) sitting in her chambers, staring at a letter from her estranged husband, Laenor Velaryon. She flashes back to a memory of their wedding day, where she was forced to marry him by her father, King Viserys I (Paddy Considine), despite her love for her cousin, Prince Daemon Targaryen (Matt Smith).
Meanwhile, tensions between the Targaryens and the Blackfyres continue to escalate. Lord Corlys Velaryon (Steve Toussaint) warns King Viserys that the Blackfyres are gaining support among the lords of Westeros, and that a war may be inevitable. Viserys dismisses his concerns, believing that his daughter Rhaenyra is the rightful heir to the Iron Throne.
As Rhaenyra attends a meeting of the small council, she is confronted by Lord Lyonel Strong (Joel Fry), a Blackfyre sympathizer who openly challenges her claim to the throne. Rhaenyra responds with a fiery speech, declaring that she will not let the Blackfyres tear apart her family and her kingdom.
Later, Rhaenyra meets with her uncle, Prince Daemon, who reveals that he has been secretly working with the Blackfyres to undermine her father's rule. Rhaenyra is horrified and conflicted, torn between her love for Daemon and her loyalty to her father and her own claim to the throne.
In the final scene, Rhaenyra sits alone in her chambers, contemplating her next move. She reads the letter from Laenor again, and makes a decision that will change the course of her life and the fate of the Seven Kingdoms.
As the camera pans out, we see a raven flying over King's Landing, carrying a message that will set events in motion for the next episode.

Regenerate response
is chatGPT off here? viserys died