Would you consider Aborigines black?

Raptor

All Star
Daps
Reppin
World
He's obviously part white. The OP also decided to just post the aborigines with straight hair. Most natives of the pacific islands have nappy hair. So they're definitely black in my book.

Also note that the aborigines were called ******S by the British/Australians.
:what:Do you live in Australia, theres a big difference between pacific islanders and Australian aborigines. Aborigines usually have that straught hair. You cant say theyre the same people

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Black is anyone who has African ancestry either directly or through the new world. I'm not gonna lie though, the term black is more often associated with black Americans of slave descent. If a black American were to say they're American, they'd be looked at weird. You always gotta add black and we all know why that is. As for other blacks, they're immigrants and have direct ties to their nations since they chose to come here so they are more quick to say their nationality as opposed to just black. They speak a different language, have close ties to their cultures, and keep their customs. Those who consider themselves black whether it's negro or black, are usually New World blacks in my experience. Being from NYC, I was exposed to many different cultures and even the Latinos I grew up around early on called themselves black Latino or Afrolatino. For my mother who is Ethiopian, the term was Habesha though I'm not exactly sure if that means black or not.
Habesha is the name of a group of tribes, commonly found in Ethiopia & Eritrea. It's also a term used to describe someone from those two countries even if they're from a different tribe from those in the Habesha

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
I met a Sri Lankan girl in Germany who considered herself black. Who the hell am I to tell her she isn't?
Anomaly.

I have a friend. A black woman. Went travelling in Sri Lanka with her white partner (I know, I know). She got treated like an alien. People would honk their cars at her as they drove past. Men just yell at her, wink at her, touch her braided hair etc. the woman would give her dirty looks etc. No way are these people black. They saw her and saw a black person, an African. Not someone like them in anyway.

If she was in Brazil, Ecuador, USA, Ivory Coast, Zimbabwe, Somalia she wouldn't have been treated like that. Because those are countries with BLACK people. People that are fukking Africans of one type or another.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
:what:Do you live in Australia, theres a big difference between pacific islanders and Australian aborigines. Aborigines usually have that straught hair. You cant say theyre the same people

I've watched several documentaries on Australian aborgines. There are definitely alot with nappy hair. Especially in the rural areas.

And aborgines are the same people as the people of Papau New Guinea and islands like Vanuatu. And those folks definitely have nappy hair.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anomaly.

I have a friend. A black woman. Went travelling in Sri Lanka with her white partner (I know, I know). She got treated like an alien. People would honk their cars at her as they drove past. Men just yell at her, wink at her, touch her braided hair etc. the woman would give her dirty looks etc. No way are these people black. They saw her and saw a black person, an African. Not someone like them in anyway.

If she was in Brazil, Ecuador, USA, Ivory Coast, Zimbabwe, Somalia she wouldn't have been treated like that. Because those are countries with BLACK people. People that are fukking Africans of one type or another.

True. The hair is the big difference between us and the Sri Lankans. They have super straight hair but otherwise they are Black. Some of them could definitely pass as black with a shaved head.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
mundine9.jpg

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
This is why some people consider the concept of race stupid.

When you see another person you assume to be black, are you basing it off phenotypical cues or based off of genetics?

"Like ayo my nikka I'm saying though, you say you black, but what's that genotype saying? :ohhh:".

It's a combination based in genetics + phenotype.

Race was asked differently in the Census 2000 in several other ways than previously. Most significantly, respondents were given the option of selecting one or more race categories to indicate racial identities. Data show that nearly seven million Americans identified as members of two or more races. Because of these changes, the Census 2000 data on race are not directly comparable with data from the 1990 census or earlier censuses. Use of caution is therefore recommended when interpreting changes in the racial composition of the US population over time.

The following definitions apply to the 2000 census only.[16]

• "White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as "White" or report entries such as Irish, German, English, Scottish, Italian, Lebanese, Near Easterner, Arab, or Polish.[16]

• "Black or African American. A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as 'Black, African Am.' or provide written entries such as Kenyan, Nigerian, or Haitian."[16]

• "Asian. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam. It includes 'Asian Indian,' 'Chinese', 'Filipino', 'Korean', 'Japanese', 'Vietnamese', and 'Other Asian'."[16]

• "Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands. It includes people who indicate their race as 'Native Hawaiian', 'Guamanian or Chamorro', 'Samoan', and 'Other Pacific Islander'."[16]

• "Some other race. Includes all other responses not included in the 'White', 'Black or African American', 'American Indian and Alaska Native', 'Asian' and 'Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander' race categories described above. Respondents providing write-in entries such as multiracial, mixed, interracial, We-Sort, or a Hispanic/Latino group (for example, Mexican, Puerto Rican, or Cuban) in the "Some other race" category are included here."[16]

• "Two or more races. People may have chosen to provide two or more races either by checking two or more race response check boxes, by providing multiple write-in responses, or by some combination of check boxes and write-in responses."[16]

What about "high-yellow" people who can pass for white but consider themselves black? What about a person that is phenotypically black but might be genetically more white than black?

as long as they're of recent "black african" origin, they qualify as "black" regardless of phenotype and genetics, hence, these are both "black" people in the USA

sn9gF8q.jpg

Those Melanesian people could fit in anywhere as black from Africa to the Caribbean and even in the US.

9f87395665523d2f6656126d64d3d21e.jpg

Yes, based on phenotype, she/they are "black"

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
True. The hair is the big difference between us and the Sri Lankans. They have super straight hair but otherwise they are Black. Some of them could definitely pass as black with a shaved head.
Otherwise they LOOK similar to blacks. But they aren't black.

Go to their country and they would treat you differently beyond being foreign.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
This nikka said "i consider myself black american, not african". :snoop: Black Americans are scared to death of Africa... it's so sad.

Growing up this was the image I saw of Africa on TV

ftc3.jpg

I didn't want to be identified as African because I thought that's all Africa was. Thankfully my pops taught me not to believe the BS about Africa that I see on TV.

I'd imagine most black people here had similar experiences.