‘Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty’ Season 2 Thread | HBO

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
How ironic would it be if somehow "Showtime" of all places could pick this up?
Looks like I'm not the only person to think of this :mjlol:

Dude, remember

Kareem retires
Riley gets fired/leaves
The rise of the Bad Boy Pistons
Celebrities around at all-times
Buss & Magic's descent into depravity at the Forum Club
Hell, you could even touch somewhat on Magic & Bird playing together on the "Dream Team"

I strongly suspect this was the planned ending.

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
For HBO you either have to get great ratings or critically acclaimed with Emmy noms and the best shows get both (Succession/GoT)
Shows like Winning Time, Westworld, Vinyl, even Boardwalk Empire were expensive, got mediocre to average ratings and never were big Emmy shows. All of them ended prematurely because the ROI wasn’t worth it to HBO.

I’m not sure how the strike works in regards to talent talking to the studios but it had to hut the show that Adam McKay or the producers couldn’t really champion the show to HBO execs and/or working out a deal to continue the show.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
For HBO you either have to get great ratings or critically acclaimed with Emmy noms and the best shows get both (Succession/GoT)
Shows like Winning Time, Westworld, Vinyl, even Boardwalk Empire were expensive, got mediocre to average ratings and never were big Emmy shows. All of them ended prematurely because the ROI wasn’t worth it to HBO.

I’m not sure how the strike works in regards to talent talking to the studios but it had to hut the show that Adam McKay or the producers couldn’t really champion the show to HBO execs and/or working out a deal to continue the show.

The "real-life" subjects of the show coming out against it right at the start was a big problem.
That's the main reason I didn't start watching the show until I binged it a couple of weeks ago.

e.g.

(Ironically, other than the pilot episode I think the Kareem character came off really well)

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
Damn man, I was just thinking about that Magic HIV shyt.

That shyt was the biggest shyt in the world at that time, man.

It literally stopped time

We all thought Magic was going to shrivel up & die in a few months or years.

It would've been crazy to show how Jerry, Jeanie, Kareem, Worthy, Cooper, Cookie, and everybody else dealt with that shyt at the time.

I remember Riley was in New York with the Knicks & dude straight jacked the pregame to lead the crowd in the "Lord's Prayer" for Magic.

It had to be killng him.

Larry Bird was supposedly ill before their game about it

Imagine that final season showing how his relationship with Bird evolved through that shyt & ending with them being on the "Dream Team" together.

Like, imagine we got a final season of THAT

It could've been one of the best series of episodes/seasons of all-time. :whoo:

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Boardwalk doesn’t belong in that group.

They got 57 Emmy noms, won 20, including two for Best drama.

They ended because the creator wanted to do Vinyl.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ

Boardwalk Empire went 5 seasons and got a lot of acclaim.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP

HBO doesn't seem to think ROI is worth it for 98% of their content. Winning Time would have appreciated with time.

This is this generation's Playmakers :sadcam: