Will Smith felt broken after failure of "After Earth"

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
youre trippin, that shyt was a hit in asia. #1 mainland for like 2 -3 weeks, in fact it was #1 in HK and Taiwan. that shyt smashed the asian market.

its strange that it got so much damn hate in the west, esp since it wasnt supposed to be a star wars movie, it was supposed to be subtle movie which focused on man vs nature on an alien planet. everyone in the east understood that and loved it. quiet movies, never do well in the west, everything has to be explosions and flashy.
Thank god someone else sees it. Amd im not suprised it did well in asia....ive said it before the man vs nature plot was innovative in this type of scifi, the lead up to the inevitable war with the hostile aliens in later films wouldve made this franchise huge, but people cannot get over the fact that it was fresh idea that dared stepped out from the mold in other scifi work, amgonst other things.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Cmon breh, i dont even remember Alien, hell the African actor who played the alien was the only black person i have remembered :heh:

Idris' character DIED, that was my point l was making, he sacrificed his life for the white protagonist to continue her journey (everyone died in that film too, but still the white protagonist lived, how about seeing the black protagonist live for once), and MIB is sci-fi COMEDY...another Big Willy character, not a serious character like he was in AE.

As I said, a strong black lead that isnt comedy relief that doesnt die and doesnt mAke a ass out of himself is rare in scifi, AE broke that mode with its innovative storyline and strong black characters that didnt die. To hell with the acting and crappy story that doesnt make or break a movie, T4 and GoG both had crappy acting and GoG'S story and its tropes were seen a million times but made bank, why cant AE???!

Again tho..everyone died..you're picking movies where EVERY damn character died minus one. Idris' character may have died but he was also the smartest one there and had the best plan and went out like a hero. And he, along with everyone else except one character, died.

AE can't make bank because it was a boring flick breh lol. Like I get what you're saying, I feel you, I just feel like you're using the wrong movie to champion your cause right now. Will was a strong black lead in I Robot and he lived. Sci Fi is his thing but it didn't work for him this go round. Nothing wrong with that; not every movie is going to be a hit, sometimes you gotta go back to the drawing board and adjust which is exactly what he's doing and I commend him for that.

Edge of Tomorrow flopped too and that was great sci fi, Guardians succeeded because it has the marvel logo attached to it and while I loved the movie, I understand why some don't and that's cool. I disagree with your claims about it but it is what it is at this point.

Benjamin Sisko

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
After Earth was NOT a black movie, breh :heh:So buying rap albums is supporting black music and not the white corporations that get 90% of the profits, but because its a black rapper being flashed all over media, buying rap albums is supporting black music, right? :heh:I'm not trying to be mean, but you really need to learn about how race and racism operate breh.
Ive already addressed this in the other quotes.

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
Thank god someone else sees it. Amd im not suprised it did well in asia....ive said it before the man vs nature plot was innovative in this type of scifi, the lead up to the inevitable war with the hostile aliens in later films wouldve made this franchise huge, but people cannot get over the fact that it was fresh idea that dared stepped out from the mold in other scifi work, amgonst other things.
most action asian movies are quiet, so they can hold their attention much much longer. american movies need change and flash quick or people get bored. keyword btw is action movie. in this case it was scifi, but in the states scifi need loads of action. Im actually surprised gravity and moon did so well, both were scifi and quiet. moon was indie, so it drew a particular crowd. I guess gravity because of the 'scariness' of space. the cinematography was unique and captured space pretty accurately, and space is a scary thing. I still equate AE to those 2.

OG_StankBrefs

Da Spice...
Daps
Reppin
Caladan
Gtfoh, GoG had the same tropes amd plot devices seen in dozens of action, adventure, and space stories in ALL platforms, there was absolutely nothing fresh, original, or innovative about.

At least AE's premise was way more fresh and innovative which is why I would rate it ahead of GoG. It couldve been executed more properly, but its not like GoG was a good fukking film either...hell Green Lantern was more enjoyable then GoG.

:trash:

Black White Sox Hat

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reasons why no one likes After Earth

1. People felt duped with Jayden being the main character. People want to see Will, not his son.

2. Jayden is a mediocre actor at best, some of those scenes were cringe worthy

3. M Night
Not to mention that Will played the most unappealing character of all time.They was like "here, pretend to be a emotionless robot.That'll jump through the screen." :snooze:

Benjamin Sisko

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
Again tho..everyone died..you're picking movies where EVERY damn character died minus one. Idris' character may have died but he was also the smartest one there and had the best plan and went out like a hero. And he, along with everyone else except one character, died.

AE can't make bank because it was a boring flick breh lol. Like I get what you're saying, I feel you, I just feel like you're using the wrong movie to champion your cause right now. Will was a strong black lead in I Robot and he lived. Sci Fi is his thing but it didn't work for him this go round. Nothing wrong with that; not every movie is going to be a hit, sometimes you gotta go back to the drawing board and adjust which is exactly what he's doing and I commend him for that.

Edge of Tomorrow flopped too and that was great sci fi, Guardians succeeded because it has the marvel logo attached to it and while I loved the movie, I understand why some don't and that's cool. I disagree with your claims about it but it is what it is at this point.
I cant believe Edge of Tomorrow flopped, i loved that movie (not to mention im a Cruise fan) because it was original and innovative. Im the type that if you give me something original and break the mold of everyday scifi flicks (like GoG, nothing was compelling about that flick and had the same flaws like AE but with a Marvel logo, hense the alocolades) and i would enjoy it. Having a black lead would have been even better, but I can enjoy a movie wothout them if the concept was something fresh. Ragtag group of relunctant heros come together to save the world/universe has been done over and over and over again, hense why i didnt like it, but hey thats me.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Will Smith like :sadcam: I'm gonna have to kiss a man on film again or fukk the sultan of persia if these movies dont start scoring.

Will cacs support in focus :lupe:

A film where a black con man is out witted by a white woman.

Bankability is moderate.. If there is a love scene with will smith and the cac woman this movie will tank.

klutch2381

A Doctor of Love
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you think you're lonely now, ohhh girl...
After Earth isn't even that "bad" of a movie. It's just average and not something I'd sit through again, but it's not awful. It actually has some cool scenes (e.g., when Jaden finally goes ghost). An awful movie in my estimation needs a couple of things: high expectations and a respected director. I'd say something like Malick's "Tree of Life" was and is awful. It's an extremely ambitious movie that tried to be about everything, and unfortunately it devolved into nothingness - lost in a sea of pretentiousness and esoteric shots. The ONE redeeming quality is its cinematography. Yet, it sits at 84% on Rotten Tomatoes and 85% on Metacritic. Primarily, because it's the type of movie that critics hate to pan, and the fact it's the byproduct of a famed and much ballyhooed director.

Basically, groupthink is real. Politics is real. I'd much rather sit through AE than ToL again, and so would a lot of critics; but, they'll act like AE is one of the worst movies ever made (it's not), whilst propping up movie(s) that are worse than AE. :wow:

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
After Earth woulda been hot if Jayden wasn't in it..

He was forced and it was repulsive..

Just like how Edward Furlong almost ruined T2 :scust:

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I figured out six sense in the first visit Bruce Willis made to the house.
his only good movie is unbreakable.

Art Barr

not true....'lady in the water' is a good movie too....due to the fact he didnt go m night and put in a twist, it's a straight forward movie with a good story...which ironically is the main reason people say they didnt like it, cause they were waiting for a twist lol....