Will Smith felt broken after failure of "After Earth"

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I'm not saying AE wasn't a bad movie, but the bar for Will Smith has been set so high from a quality and success standpoint that anything that isn't a runaway success with him is considered a failure. He's literally the biggest name in movies. Him getting brought down to "mortal" levels shouldn't be looked at as a slight on his ability IMO.

I agree. It's not a slight on him but it's just a reminder that the marketplace won't take anything you feed them just because its you. Which is a humbling thing and it changes your outlook making you branch out and do different things

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
No I wanted an interesting movie. And don't bring Bay in it because his movies lately, minus pain and gain, have bored the hell out of me too. I didn't care about the characters, and everything felt flat to me. That's how I saw it breh, if you didn't that's cool, we saw different movies. But I'm not going to support something just because we're in it; if that was the case, I should go see every tyler perry flick ever made but I'm not because what he's doing isn't for me. I gave After Earth a shot, I didn't like it for the reasons I stated and that was that.
Ahhh the Tyler Perry defense.....I too made that arguement about supporting stuff we shouldnt bit the difference between that and AE was a major sci-fi franchise and universe that was being created with no comic or novel backstory and was supposed to be taken seriously in a genre that was dominated by whites. As someone who was involved in the artistic realm, who wanted to see more people like me in a this type of film, you damn right i was going to support a film with serious black characters in sci-fi that hasnt been seen since Fishborne's portrayl in Event Horizen, give or take. Switch the characters races and i bet it wouldnt be slammed by critics like they did AE.

I guess its different strokes for different folks....

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
I agree. It's not a slight on him but it's just a reminder that the marketplace won't take anything you feed them just because its you. Which is a humbling thing and it changes your outlook making you branch out and do different things
Unless you're a giant fukking robot smashing other robots for 4 hours:francis:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Ahhh the Tyler Perry defense.....I too made that arguement about supporting stuff we shouldnt bit the difference between that and AE was a major sci-fi franchise and universe that was being created with no comic or novel backstory and was supposed to be taken seriously in a genre that was dominated by whites. As someone who was involved in the artistic realm, who wanted to see more people like me in a this type of film, you damn right i was going to support a film with serious black characters in sci-fi that hasnt been seen since Fishborne's portrayl in Event Horizen, give or take. Switch the characters races and i bet it wouldnt be slammed by critics like they did AE.

See we're talking about two different things tho: I couldn't care less about how the critics felt about it I'm talking about how I felt about it. I saw it and didn't like it and I feel like that's fair. Critics are going to do what critics do and I'm not going to throw the racism charge at them because a lot of critics not only love will smith but are also black, it's all about who you read and where you read. And that aside, they're entitled to not like the movie just the same as you or I and as an artistic person like yourself, I'd love to see more movies with blacks in them doing stuff I'd love to see but I want it to be good. If it's a miss, it's a miss

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
They obviously made a critical mistake by hiring M. KNIGHT to direct. The man is totally uninspired. Will may have undermined his own project by forcing his son into a a major role that required some good acting and charisma. He didn't deliver. Compared to Wild Wild West, I felt was horrible and unwatchable, AE might of been a bit better. But not by much. And Will should feel that way. Humble his ass up.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community

So just to be clear: you are saying this is a race thing; because a movie that's financed by white Hollywood decides to throw some black characters in there, write it as shytty, boring, and incomprehensible, and we as blacks (not the critics) don't like the movie...we are not supporting blacks in Hollywood? Ok....Critics only slammed the movie because Will is black? Ok....Breh, you throwing out a lot of misinformation; you need to read up on racism and how it operates before you make these ridiculous claims; People love the fukk outta Will Smith; So why would they shyt on this movie to be racist and not shyt on him before this movie? Is it because, maybe...people love the fukk outta Will Smith and the movie is just bad?

No hate breh, but your argument is illogical.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
They obviously made a critical mistake by hiring M. KNIGHT to direct. The man is totally uninspired. Will may have undermined his own project by forcing his son into a a major role that required some good acting and charisma. He didn't deliver. Compared to Wild Wild West, I felt was horrible and unwatchable, AE might of been a bit better. But not by much. And Will should feel that way. Humble his ass up.

And Will picked M Night which is even crazier

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He fukked it up a lot things. Putting his son in his fims, getting worse director, distrust Spike Lee, His bullshyt system to get $$$, safe typicalcast, doing fukking sequels, passed on Django Unchained, etc. Focus looks wack to me. Why shytty actors/actress quit/left Focus then Will Smith took over Focus...that shyt had me :patrice:

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Will set-up M Night as a precautionary buffer and his fall guy in the likelihood of the film being negatively received and tanking. After Earth was all Will, he's the one who changed the original script, setting and hired M Night(who's had a terrible track record post The Sixth Sense). No wants to see Jayden.