Will Smith and Antoine Fuqua Team on Runaway Slave Thriller ‘Emancipation’

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
He has an interview with him and Samuel L Jackson. Where Will says that he wanted Django to be more of a love movie than what it turned out to be.

Let me find the interview.

edit:

I never listened to that. That’s an interesting angle will wanted. He wanted it to be more about Django and Broomhilda?
Sam was fukkin with Will the whole time during that interview

Said at least it would have balanced out Wild Wild West :picard:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
They are doing it because they obviously want to make a move about slavery. You guys really need to stop projecting your insecurities onto other people. If you have insecurities about slavery even bringing brought up, then that is whatever. However, it becomes a problem when you want to make your insecurities other people’s insecurities.
Nobody is insecure about slavery (what the fukk does that even mean?); I'm just sick of movies with slavery as the focus. There are other stories to be told and my personal preference is to see those instead of another movie about slavery.
It's an opinion which is normal not some armchair virtual psychological diagnosis from a fake ass Sigmund Freud on a message board.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I thought that that is what you are suggesting. I am not seeing how slavery plays into that. If you want to combat negative images, then you need to shout down shows such as Snowfall and Power. Those shows are popular on here, though, and popular amongst a lot of people who harangue about depictions in entertainment.

I agree that entertainment can often be empathy machines, but I am not seeing how empathizing with slavery is a bad thing. It is a fact that many of the injustices and disparities that we see today trace to slavery, so how is helping draw those parallels in entertainment negative? I am not seeing how that plays into negative stereotypes.

The notion that slave movies are pervasive is just outright untrue. There have literally been seven projects about American chattel slavery to have wide theater runs since 1989. Where are all of these movies about slavery?

Too many of the few projects about slavery are meditations on pain and suffering that solely explore the brutality. Antoine Fuqua is not that type of director, though. He is a commercial action director. The biggest problem is that his projects are not that impressive to be honest.

I believe that they need to try new approaches that steer away from just the suffering and brutality, and there are people who are actually doing that. I cannot say too much because it is a test screening for a project that is not out yet, but one of the best projects that I saw last year is a Hitchcock thriller about slavery and the parallels to contemporary America. You do not get those types of things if you just ban anything exploring slavery.

I agree with that there needs to be more balance. However, people oughta be going about that by putting out more of things about z, not less about x. Most of the projects starring Black People in recent years are not pushing such negativity, though. Too many of you guys ignore the more mundane, human images of Black People that you say you want to see (The Photograph.)
:jbhmm:

AyBrehHam Linkin

First Black Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Wiscansin
If yall knew more about the slave he's playing yall wouldnt be so negative.

nikka literally escaped slavery, became a guide, was captured beaten and left for dead by confederates, survived, rejoined the Union Army at the same time they let blacks serve in the military, and then became a war hero during the Siege of Port Hudson in the Corps d'Afrique.

Yall tweakin :yeshrug:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I see a bunch of people saying this online, but The Photograph just came out and bombed. The people who insist on pushing that narrative really need to invest the energy you have in shouting down things that you do not want into supporting the things that you say you want.
so many black movies not about slavery, civil rights, etc bomb each year. People who complain about the 10 movies we've ever had on slavery are full of shyt.