Will Smith and Antoine Fuqua Team on Runaway Slave Thriller ‘Emancipation’

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I didn't realize the man Will is playing is the subject of the "The Scourged Back" photo (also known as the "Whipped Peter" photo)…that image is credited with increasing a lot of the push back against slavery among abolitionists in the US and from other countries as well.

default.jpg

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Will Smith Says ‘Emancipation’ Has What ‘Django Unchained’ Lacked: Love Over Vengeance

Curious as to know why became interested in doing this movie all of the sudden
Even though I think he should have did Django (lets be honest Will needed to be in more good movies not just movies he's good in)

Even though I was ready to clown him...

His points sound like something @Ziggiy would say :ehh:

“I’ve always avoided making films about slavery,” Smith said. “In the early part of my career…I didn’t want to show Black people in that light. I wanted to be a superhero. So I wanted to depict Black excellence alongside my white counterparts. I wanted to play roles that you would give to Tom Cruise.”
Smith told GQ that he finally decided to tackle slavery on film in “Emancipation” because the film had the angle he wanted out of “Django.” The actor said, “This was one that was about love and the power of Black love. And that was something that I could rock with. We were going to make a story about how Black love makes us invincible.”

The key is they gotta really nail the execution. It cant be about black love and then you make a trash film.

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
There are many problems with Django and the "lack" of Black love is the least of them. I expect alot of sobbing negroes and a mess of white saviors.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Even though I think he should have did Django (lets be honest Will needed to be in more good movies not just movies he's good in)

Even though I was ready to clown him...

His points sound like something @Ziggiy would say :ehh:

The key is they gotta really nail the execution. It cant be about black love and then you make a trash film.

:ohhh:

I rock with Will. I’m VERY interested in where they go with this flick.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
:ohhh:

I rock with Will. I’m VERY interested in where they go with this flick.
Also like this:myman:
Throughout the years, I would always call Denzel. He’s a real sage. I was probably 48 or something like that and I called Denzel. He said, ‘Listen. You’ve got to think of it as the funky 40. Everybody’s 40s are funky.’ He said, ‘But just wait till you hit the fukk-it 50s,’ ” Smith told me. “He said, ‘Just bear with your 40s.’ I stopped and I was like, ‘The funky 40s and the fukk-it 50s.’ And that’s exactly what happened. It just became the fukk-it 50s, and I gave myself the freedom to do whatever I wanted to do.” Many of those things are detailed in the book, and others he’s still keeping close to the vest. “Some things are for GQ articles and some things are not,” he told me

VoxSphere74

Banned
Daps

MAYBE WE NEED THIS
AFTER THAT WOMAN KING BULLshyt

:devil:
:evil:

Yet another movie showing a Black American being whipped by white people and running away from them vs a movie about Black African Warriors

This needs a boycott...The Woman King didn't. :mjgrin:

I trust though that the anti-slavery movie brigade has the same energy for this embarrassment of a film.

And whenever Black people start talking about "love" and "resilience" they just mean getting tormented by cacs and doing nothing about it. :scust: